LED or Plasma - Which way to purchase?

Soldato
Phosphor lag and 30fps motion handling are valid plasma issues.

Nothing I've read suggests that 30 fps motion handling issues are exclusive to Plasma displays, just that they can resolve the full 1080P lines of resolution when in motion so it's more noticeable, not all LCD/LED TV's have as good motion handling so will display a lower resolution in motion.

Soldato
Agreed. It's still a valid issue. I was outputting Halo Reach to a Panasonic plasma and to a Samsung led at the same time and motion, especially when panning, looked considerably more natural and detailed on the led simply because the image didn't jerk through the pan. 30fps on the plasma was jarring. At 60fps it's a whole different story and, phosphor lag aside, looked great.

Associate
OP
I am looking at the moment at the Sony KDL-46HX853. The plus for this model is that it won the What Hi-Fi awards for models in the 46" range. Is this something good to look at? Always went for Sony before, but not sure anymore

Soldato
I am looking at the moment at the Sony KDL-46HX853. The plus for this model is that it won the What Hi-Fi awards for models in the 46" range. Is this something good to look at? Always went for Sony before, but not sure anymore

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl40hx853-201210232286.htm

got a great review on hdtv test. :)

Like any led tv though you will have very low resolution gaming as anything moving will be 300p instead of 1080p.

Soldato
Very tempting, do any stores offer any 0% payment plans, as everywhere this seems to be a price of £1,199

very.co.uk give you 10% off your first order and as long as you pay it off within a year you pay 0 interest.

Also use quidco for an extra 8% cashback

Soldato
i'm after a cheap 50'' plasma in jan/ feb, no more than 500 quid, i've seen a few at Currys.

it's best to visit a currys in person, because there's loads more bargains instore that never get online, i saw quite a few 1080p for about 500 quid, just get this years end of stock model, no need for smart tv or 3D

6 YEARS AGO THAT 500 QUID plasma cost over 2000 quid, flipping amazing isn't it

Last edited:
Soldato
I was at Tottenham Hale shopping centre last week i think it was, and picked up a Samsung 43 inch plasma TV for just over £350 (from that shop that is gone into receivership)lol,...and although its not full 1080 HD its not bad at all , its quite a nice picture too , the inbuilt sound is crap though..but thats ok cos we have a surround sound set up ....and the reflection issue has not really been an issue , not really noticed any problems while watching any tv or while using the xbox either

Couldn't get the Washing Machine we went there for though LOL

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think this time I would prefer to go into a shop to purchase this screen, rather than waiting for the delivery man, especially when I would prefer the finance route rather than rinsing the credit/debit cards to pay the whole amount up front

Back
Top Bottom