Legal to exceed speed limit exception?

Soldato
I've just watched a video about an emergency ambulance run in the Netherlands and apparently there it is legal to exceed the speed limit if you are getting out of the way of an emergency vehicle. Is that the case here in the UK?

I know that necessity can be used as a defence but that's an affirmative defence.

Soldato
One of those laws that is at odds with human nature and common sense..

I will get out the way and break the HWC if I feel I am doing so safely.. but that's on me if I get caught...

However, on a technicality:
There is no minimum distance over which the car must exceed the speed limit – unless the police are conducting a follow check using their own calibrated speedo. In which case they must follow for at least 2/10th of a mile
So, if you speed for 1/10th of a mile, then does them not being able to enforce it in those situations count?

Last edited:
Associate
Too many stories of getting booked if you go over trafic lights or bus lanes. Wouldn't risk speeding, Just carry on until you can safetly pull over or they can pass if you slow down.

Soldato
While not legal, there are few policemen who will enforce the law if you have a very good reason to have broken it. But judge wisely! I can remember going through a red light, once, with a policeman watching me do it, because there was an ambulance up my behind and nowhere else for me to go. I had beeped a car in the way a few times before I did, but in desperation went through the red light.

Last edited:
Soldato
While not legal, there are few policemen who will enforce the law if you have a very good reason to have broken it. But judge wisely! I can remember going through a red light, once, with a policeman watching me do it, because there was an ambulance up my behind and nowhere else for me to go. I had beeped a car in the way a few times before I did, but in desperation went through the red light.

You’re one of the lucky ones.

Soldato
From the stories I hear it's usually if you are caught by a camera and it goes off to the powers that be you are done for.

There's nothing stopping a officer pulling you over for moving out of the way at a light etc but I'm willing to bet most don't really want to have that conversation. Most people who run red lights for the services don't really "run" the light, they edge forward at slow speed until there is room to get past, not like they just go **** it and away they go lol.

Soldato
From the stories I hear it's usually if you are caught by a camera and it goes off to the powers that be you are done for.

There's nothing stopping a officer pulling you over for moving out of the way at a light etc but I'm willing to bet most don't really want to have that conversation. Most people who run red lights for the services don't really "run" the light, they edge forward at slow speed until there is room to get past, not like they just go **** it and away they go lol.

Yes, cameras seem to be "there is no excuse". Even if your grandma was on fire it wasn't a reason.

Associate
You're unlikely to get busted for a positive deviation over the stop line as long as you do so with due diligence and don't cross the junction or gain any other advantage from doing so.

Soldato
The rationale being if people start jumping reds it can cause further risk etc.

They aren't, you broke the law it's as simple as that you've got nothing to appeal. Common sense doesn't come into it.

It's possible.
While you shouldn’t break the rules of the road even in this situation, people have previously had fines waived for minor offences such as entering a bus lane to let a police car past

Back
Top Bottom