Lenovo Legion 5 Pro

Soldato
Impressed so far apart from CPU temps which hit 100c on some cores running just 3D Mark Ray tracing tests in performance mode. It’s a toasty chip but performs great.

6005 in 3D Mark Time Spy Extreme.

18684 in Cinebench R23.

Average 90fps in Forza Horizon 5 extreme 2560x1600 no scaling.

Laptop is a beast a very hot beast….. lol

Last edited:
Associate
Impressed so far apart from CPU temps which hit 100c on some cores running just 3D Mark Ray tracing tests in performance mode. It’s a toasty chip but performs great.

6005 in 3D Mark Time Spy Extreme.

18684 in Cinebench R23.

Average 90fps in Forza Horizon 5 extreme 2560x1600 no scaling.

Laptop is a beast a very hot beast….. lol

Nice. I'm fed up with microsoft store, that you can't transfer over games and have to redownload.

Had all the games on my m2 that I took out of the 3060 to put in this and its all encrypted and unusable. Ah well.

Soldato
I have decided to return mine and await the AMD 6x version. It’s a beast of a laptop but the chassis just cannot handle the heat from the CPU or it’s power requirements. It’s either thermal throttling in performance mode or power limit throttling in balanced mode. You cannot use the CPU to its full potential as even Cinebench causes it to hit 100c and thermal throttle. It’s also really loud far to loud for me to use in the lounge with others watching tv or talking.

Intel have nerfed undervolting on 12th gen so no way of seeing if that would help. Turning off the B cores helps but then what’s the point.

Will see how the AMD 6x ones are when they are released.

Associate
I have decided to return mine and await the AMD 6x version. It’s a beast of a laptop but the chassis just cannot handle the heat from the CPU or it’s power requirements. It’s either thermal throttling in performance mode or power limit throttling in balanced mode. You cannot use the CPU to its full potential as even Cinebench causes it to hit 100c and thermal throttle. It’s also really loud far to loud for me to use in the lounge with others watching tv or talking.

Intel have nerfed undervolting on 12th gen so no way of seeing if that would help. Turning off the B cores helps but then what’s the point.

Will see how the AMD 6x ones are when they are released.

Are you using it with a laptop stand? Or something that isn't blocking the vents?

I haven't tested mine much yet. Will do it tonight. If it is going to 100 that's pretty bad, and I'll probably return it as well.

Soldato
Yeah vents were clear. Cinebench R23 in performance mode hit 100c and thermal throttled. As did ASUs real bench. Gaming temps are a bit lower but it’s just so loud far to loud for my liking. It’s manageable in balanced mode but this limits cpu performance and the GPU to 125w.

Associate
Yeah vents were clear. Cinebench R23 in performance mode hit 100c and thermal throttled. As did ASUs real bench. Gaming temps are a bit lower but it’s just so loud far to loud for my liking. It’s manageable in balanced mode but this limits cpu performance and the GPU to 125w.

I'm getting 70-80 on both cpu and gpu for forza horizon 5 performance mode max settings

Soldato
I'm getting 70-80 on both cpu and gpu for forza horizon 5 performance mode max settings

Yeah Forza doesn’t really push the CPU. CineBench R23 or RealBench are what I use to test for throttling on CPU as well as Civ VI Ai benchmarks. I use CPU info as it records the max CPU temps. GPU is fine and is well within temps on mine.

Associate
Yeah Forza doesn’t really push the CPU. CineBench R23 or RealBench are what I use to test for throttling on CPU as well as Civ VI Ai benchmarks. I use CPU info as it records the max CPU temps. GPU is fine and is well within temps on mine.

Hmm, would you just use it mostly for gaming? I agree it's a bit louder than the 3060 variant. I'm going to keep mine I think.

Soldato
Hmm, would you just use it mostly for gaming? I agree it's a bit louder than the 3060 variant. I'm going to keep mine I think.

Bit of everything I’m going to wait for the AMD 6x one. Bit concerned the temps are high and thermal throttling substantially already it’s far to noisy for me. My 3060/5800H is considerably quieter and no thermal throttling in Cinebench or RealBench in performance mode. Gave it to my son though so will see what comes in the next few weeks….

Man of Honour
Really like the laptop so far. I'm using it in silent mode, and disabled the 3070ti so it only runs the iGPU. Might sound daft given it's a gaming laptop but it was bought as a work laptop for me, and with the education discount and the code, it was a better spec than I'd ever get from Dell or similar for a business laptop

I will use the performance occasionally if I'm away from home and fancy some gaming, but it will basically live in silent mode :D

Associate
Just setting mine up now, impressed so far with the build quality, installing stuff and will test out soon.
Seen on hot uk deals and fitted what I was looking for.

Associate
Just ordered a 5 pro that they had in stock with slightly better specs than the one i had on order for the past few weeks... which i cancelled,

it will 'only' have 16 gig of memory, and i kinda want to max this thing out as much as i can,

I see people talking about buying 32 gigs of memory in 2 x 16 gig sticks, and replacing the single 16 gig stick already in the laptop... if i'm reading things right.

is it not possible to buy another stick of the same memory lenovo put in the laptop. or do the 2 sticks need to be matched and all that?

Soldato
Just ordered a 5 pro that they had in stock with slightly better specs than the one i had on order for the past few weeks... which i cancelled,

it will 'only' have 16 gig of memory, and i kinda want to max this thing out as much as i can,

I see people talking about buying 32 gigs of memory in 2 x 16 gig sticks, and replacing the single 16 gig stick already in the laptop... if i'm reading things right.

is it not possible to buy another stick of the same memory lenovo put in the laptop. or do the 2 sticks need to be matched and all that?
I haven't seen any reports of 5 Pros coming with just one stick of RAM, they've all had two.

Back
Top Bottom