Lenovo Legion Go

Soldato
Same price as when I got the Ally, kind of wish I waited, this is so much better than the Ally, however not sure how the low res on the high res screen would stack up because the Z1 Extreme isn't powerful enough to keep up with the Go's screen res.

Associate
I've got the Ally and I was thinking the same, I should have waited for the Go! But I got mine 2nd hand so the price was more affordable.

Apart from the bigger screen, which actually might be a downside for some who want portability, there's not much in it at all. The Ally Has a VRR screen which I much prefer over a non VRR screen and although the controllers can't be removed, this means less things to go wrong or get wear and tear. Agreed, they're not as easy to fix but eventually, if they do break, I'll replace them with Hall effect thumb sticks anyway.

The main thing with the Go and Ally is it gives us some much needed competition for Valve in this area and it can only be a good thing for us consumers. I don't get long to play games any more so being able to switch on, play some FF IX and then switch off / hibernate after 30 mins is perfect for me. The game has a weird glitch where after coming out of hibernate you run like Usain Bolt :D but I can live with that until I can save and quit / restart! Other games are fine with hibernate like Gta 3, which is next on my play list. (never played it before!)

Last edited:
Associate
Would be amazing if they supported SteamOS out of the gate (I've no idea if Vavle would let them) as that's so much better an experience than Windows for this format.
I doubt SteamOS would actually be all that great on the Legion Go or Ally since Valve does a lot of fine-tuning for Proton that's directly targeted at the Steam Deck hardware. Running SteamOS is one thing (and likely, very possible) running the games as seamlessly as the Steam Deck does is another thing altogether - not saying it couldn't be done but Valve don't have any incentive to support rival platforms and I suspect neither Asus nor Lenovo would want to invest in the software engineering necessary when they can just use Windows instead.

Associate
I doubt SteamOS would actually be all that great on the Legion Go or Ally since Valve does a lot of fine-tuning for Proton that's directly targeted at the Steam Deck hardware. Running SteamOS is one thing (and likely, very possible) running the games as seamlessly as the Steam Deck does is another thing altogether - not saying it couldn't be done but Valve don't have any incentive to support rival platforms and I suspect neither Asus nor Lenovo would want to invest in the software engineering necessary when they can just use Windows instead.
This is sort of where I think Valve are missing a trick. They were only a software company until the Steam Deck so why not release an OS that's perfectly suited to the Go and Ally? Then they can take the fight to Microsoft as one of the best gaming OS's out there and dominate the gaming landscape.

The SOC between the devices are so close I can't see it being very difficult for them at all, now the main setup of Steam OS as done.

Man of Honour
This is sort of where I think Valve are missing a trick. They were only a software company until the Steam Deck so why not release an OS that's perfectly suited to the Go and Ally? Then they can take the fight to Microsoft as one of the best gaming OS's out there and dominate the gaming landscape.

The SOC between the devices are so close I can't see it being very difficult for them at all, now the main setup of Steam OS as done.

Thing is why bother if your Valve? There's no money in releasing it as an OS for other devices that they don't sell, if your gaming on Windows your about 99% likely to be already using the Steam Client and Platform to buy and download your PC games anyway so they're already getting your money regardless of platform.

Associate

Ninja'ed by @chrismscotland :D

I suppose from Valve's perspective, adding value to the Ally/Go doesn't actually gain them anything since anyone with those handhelds is likely running Steam on them anyway. They'd essentially be taking on software support for a competitor's device for what exactly?

Now, I agree that having SteamOS as an option for all these devices would be awesome but there'd have to either be a financial incentive for Valve or the hardware manufacturers would have to take on the software development themselves (or, at least share the development with Valve).

I suspect both Asus and Lenovo at least spoke to Valve about the possibility of using SteamOS on their hardware - and the fact that there's been no mention of it would seem to imply that whatever was necessary to make it worthwhile for all parties wasn't possible at the time. That may of course change in the future.

Last edited:
Associate
The thing is though that Valve's Steam OS only lets you play and buy games through their store. So if they release a perfect OS for these devices and the only store you can get the games from is theirs, it's a money maker! They probably take a 20 percent cut of all game sales, maybe less I'm not sure.

Caporegime
The thing is though that Valve's Steam OS only lets you play and buy games through their store. So if they release a perfect OS for these devices and the only store you can get the games from is theirs, it's a money maker! They probably take a 20 percent cut of all game sales, maybe less I'm not sure.
That's not true.

Heroic launcher can be installed and let's you rum GOG and Epic games titles.

Soldato
That's not how it works, Proton(another name for wine) is used on a vast array of configurations so would be fine!
The ui on the other hand would maybe need tweaking to suit other handhelds.

Soldato

That's not true.

Heroic launcher can be installed and let's you rum GOG and Epic games titles.

Lutris is another!

Associate
You can install anything you want on steamos. You just have to switch to desktop mode. It's a fully fledged OS based on Arch Linux.

Associate
I probably should have said the Steam OS makes it easier for most people to just buy and play games using their own store. I'm not a fan of using third party launchers with my account credentials but that's true, it's not totally locked down.

It's probably a limited market right now but if Asus and Lenovo could sell their devices cheaper without the Windows OS and ship with Steam OS, it's a win win for both.

Last edited:
Associate
I probably should have said the Steam OS makes it easier for most people to just buy and play games using their own store. I'm not a fan of using third party launchers with my account credentials but that's true, it's not totally locked down.

It's probably a limited market right now but if Asus and Lenovo could sell their devices cheaper without the Windows OS and ship with Steam OS, it's a win win for both.
It's not really locked down at all. You're not limited to running games that require launchers either. You can break out your old Warcraft 3 CD or whatever and go wild.

Caporegime
Has anyone got the legion go or something similar?

My Pc is end of life and I don't want a new gaming rig but it would be great to have one machine that could dock to tv or my desk.

Associate
Has anyone got the legion go or something similar?

My Pc is end of life and I don't want a new gaming rig but it would be great to have one machine that could dock to tv or my desk.
I was supposed to be getting one yesterday but Curry's messed my order up and cancelled it. Was looking forward to messing with it this weekend. No idea when it will be now.

Associate
Thing is why bother if your Valve? There's no money in releasing it as an OS for other devices that they don't sell, if your gaming on Windows your about 99% likely to be already using the Steam Client and Platform to buy and download your PC games anyway so they're already getting your money regardless of platform.
Don't underestimate the value at scale, just look at Google Play Store on Android. Sure, you can sideload apps from wherever, but how many people do that regularly?
Valve shipping SteamOS with their store front preloaded on to 3rd party devices would become an absolute money hose.
I bet they didn't offer low enough licensing fees to Asus or Lenovo. Either that, or M$ may have leveraged some existing agreements with Asus and Lenovo to install Windows on all portable devices

Soldato
Hopefully Valve will keep price in mind and have base model of Steam Deck 2 that is still under £400.

All I want is a bigger 1080p screen, ideally OLED, a better SOC and something maybe less bulky.
You got all that with the OLED Deck. Except less bulky

Back
Top Bottom