Lenovo Legion Y27gq - 240 Hz / 2560x1440 G-Sync

Permabanned
Run it on a CRT if you want no blur. ;)

Yea they died about fifteen years ago so unlikely, People have been waiting nearly 20 years to get the same quality of motion and it still not here. And it doesnt help when someone claims thier monitor has no blur it implys we finally fixed the problem when its still there at 240hz 0.5ms.

Infact its there for 4ms, You will obviously see 4ms of blur unless a black frame is inserted to trick the brain. But i think he just used the wrong wording in a subjective manner. Indeed he said he could not really tell a difference when he did use ULMB that should ring alarm bells because ULMB makes a massive difference easily seen with an on off toggle.

Permabanned
I have a lowish hours Sony FW900 and Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB here (both were new to me) but I am on a VA G panel G Sync LCD POS for now till something better comes along as I am not paying £1000's for any LCD tech no matter what marketing gimmicks they to this poor tech.

Permabanned
I have a lowish hours Sony FW900 and Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB here (both were new to me) but I am on a VA G panel G Sync LCD POS for now till something better comes along as I am not paying £1000's for any LCD tech no matter what marketing gimmicks they to this poor tech.

The 930sb died on me a long time ago but that is what i grew up on i think we played 800x600@140hz? 1280 at 75hz? Good numbers for the year 1999 and much more compact and tighter pixels with glass being another player in the wow factor.

I find modern panels all look grainy, Pixelated, Washed out and the coating also is awful compared to glass fronted displays like OLED or CRT. Honestly its been rough i spent years to settle on the VA FG2421 its the closest to CRT but it has to be ran at 4k DSR there is no other way but thats 4k with strobing and theres much less motion blur than 240hz. I tried 240hz TN also honestly it would be the only thing that will make me happy about gaming again but there still at 240hz is blur when fast panning even 240hz TN simply does not compare to a CRT motion. The only thing that will be coming close is a strobed 240hz 0.5ms panel but none exist at the minute. And without that technology i am going to guess that based on what i saw from 240hz you would need something like 340hz or 480hz at 0.5ms to get near CRT.

Permabanned
Don't think I ever had to play at that low a RES, I had a Mitsubishi Diamondtron 19" in 2001 and a GeForce 2 GTS Ultra then Geforce 3 so 1280x960 for me then by time I got the 930SB it would have been 1600x1200 then 1920x1440 with Bioshock on launch day, GPU was 8800 Ultra so finally 1080p was doable, I do not think I played any less than 85hz at any of those RES's.

On the FW900 it was 1920x1200 @ 96hz or if newer GPU had the grunt 2304x1440 @ 80hz

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ya LCD's wont really match the motion clarity of the FW900. That baby set up at 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz was beautiful to play first person shooters on. The biggest problem with LCD's and their strobing backlight is the strobe cross-talk that you get. Even on the Eizo FG2421 it was quite apparent. So while the motion clarity did improve, people forget about the strobe cross-talk that heavily detracted from the clarity.

I have this Lenovo inbound to test out, quite excited.

Permabanned
Ya LCD's wont really match the motion clarity of the FW900. That baby set up at 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz was beautiful to play first person shooters on. The biggest problem with LCD's and their strobing backlight is the strobe cross-talk that you get. Even on the Eizo FG2421 it was quite apparent. So while the motion clarity did improve, people forget about the strobe cross-talk that heavily detracted from the clarity.

I have this Lenovo inbound to test out, quite excited.

Im very lucky i never notice the strobe crosstalk is almost requires a black shape in front of a light background i think in TF2 with the heavy in black up against the light sandy textures you look for it you might see it but sadly motions still superior to 240hz because you trade that for real blur.

Hopefully i can upgrade again from it im thinking about the KD25f for xmas unless they announce something else but the trade will be blur for another 120fps which if its an FPS game sort of works for me. Its so stupid though were even having these conversations if they had kept and perfected CRT instead of this abomination we have now.

Associate
OP
Got this baby in. Wow, definitely on a new level for TN motion clarity and speed. Noticeably better motion clarity than any other sample and hold display I've used. Due to no strobe-cross talk or overdrive artifacts, right up there with the motion clarity of mid-tier back-light strobe monitors. All with perfect G-Sync and high brightness.

Associate
Got this baby in. Wow, definitely on a new level for TN motion clarity and speed. Noticeably better motion clarity than any other sample and hold display I've used. Due to no strobe-cross talk or overdrive artifacts, right up there with the motion clarity of mid-tier back-light strobe monitors. All with perfect G-Sync and high brightness.
How does thin text or lines look in motion? Does it have any kind of dotted pattern or issues with inversion? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Soldato

What are your thoughts on the fan? I have been thinking of getting a 2nd monitor and have been very tempted due to the 240hz but dont think i could put up with the 40mm fan in the back.

It has been a toss up between this and the hp omen x27 hdr which is the 240hz freesync version for £570.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
IMO the fan noise is totally over-rated. Maybe mine has a firmware update or something. Not nearly as loud as I was expecting based off of some of those reddit posts. And my fan shuts off a few minutes after the computer is turned off.

Soldato
IMO the fan noise is totally over-rated. Maybe mine has a firmware update or something. Not nearly as loud as I was expecting based off of some of those reddit posts. And my fan shuts off a few minutes after the computer is turned off.

Still happy with it?

Just bit the bullet and bought one myself. For whatever reason only £650 on the Lenovo U.K. website so gone ahead and bought one. Was just under £1k before.

Will easily get £450 for my current LG so not a huge outlay. Couldn’t stomach it’s original price but for what it is now seems worth it especially with the games I play.

Permabanned
So it is really only 25" as given its model number I i assumed it was 27"?

Even on a 27" 1440p can be small for certain things in Windows esp as Windows does not scale well even now.

And TN, no way for me.

Soldato
So it is really only 25" as given its model number I i assumed it was 27"?

Even on a 27" 1440p can be small for certain things in Windows esp as Windows does not scale well even now.

And TN, no way for me.

It’s 27”, the 25 is the model number.

It’s the sweet spot over 32” 1440p where a lot of text etc can look blurred. 27” is a lot sharper.

TN, sure not my preferred choice. But it is an extremely good panel colour wise and brightness wise. Many have compared it to better than IPS but obviously with lesser viewing angles.

IPS is good when done well. But I’ve had some poor panels in the past and I’d prefer lesser viewing angles than IPS bleed and glow.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have had 27" 1440p since the first poor QA Asus Rog Swift TN G-Sync Monitor and with 20/20 vision it can be hard to read certain things and again Windows does not scale well more so back then.

I could read it but why risk my eyes long term.

By my reading over the years 24" 1080p was the ideal pixel density and to be the same as that you would need 32" 1440p and there is a few of with my choice of VA panels but again poor QA.

Soldato
I have had 27" 1440p since the first poor QA Asus Rog Swift TN G-Sync Monitor and with 20/20 vision it can be hard to read certain things and again Windows does not scale well more so back then.

I could read it but why risk my eyes long term.

By my reading over the years 24" 1080p was the ideal pixel density and to be the same as that you would need 32" 1440p and there is a few of with my choice of VA panels but again poor QA.

I generally dont browse a great deal anymore and mainly tend to use my pc for just steam games, high fps games etc (bfv, division, destiny, borderlands etc) everything where all the details are wanted i play at 4k 60hz w controller on my tv.

i would say the 1080p 24" is probably sharper due to being a smaller display. The 32" needs to be a distance away anyway, so far you may as well have a 27" or 24" display closer.

I was tempted by the 24" 1080p 240hz, especially at the cost. But the 1440p being better for future proofing hopefully as my 2080Ti hits close to 200frames 1440p in the games i play anyway.

i had a 27" previously and found it fine at the distance i have my monitors.

Will post my thoughts once i receive it though.

Permabanned
Websites are not an issue as you can set browser to 110-125% but may be someday we can have better scaling so we can have desktop at a comfortable RES (in relation to size of monitor) and game at 4k or a non native panel tech like CRT's

Soldato
Good news and bad news. I have the monitor in today and wow first impressions, amazing. No dead pixels, or dust, damage etc. Monitor nice and uniform no issues with bleed or anything like that.

Brightness is eye watering to the point you have to look away and picture and colours are IPS like. Usual TN viewing angles but nothing that’s noticeable in games between this and IPS.

Fan while audible is not as bad as I expected to be honest.

Panel coating is quite heavy and matte. Can easily get used to it but it’s probably the harshest antiglare I’ve experience before.

Now to the bad news. Unfortunately I have my pc in another room and this has a rather long and expensive fibre optic display port 1.4 certified cable which should deliver 4k 144hz without issue. Has done 3440x1440 120hz without a problem. However it won’t do 1440 200hz or 240hz for that matter :(.

I’ve moved my pc and the included cable works fine so I know it’s not a monitor fault.

Gutted as I really like the monitor and obviously there is no point running only 144hz, paying the extra and having to deal with the fan. And I’m not going to be moving the pc due to space, there aren’t any better cables either. So going to have to be returned I am afraid :( :mad:.

Shame though as picture quality and response/motion are great for a TN.

Back
Top Bottom