Letting my Pioneer LX5090 upscale vs. PS3

Associate
I've been reading a lot into the quality of the scaler in my LX5090 and have been trying to figure out how to get it to do the work instead of my PS3 slim (latest firmware).

All of my resolution outputs are ticked and when I turn off the PS3 upscaler option, I can get it to send 576p when playing an SD-DVD (Touch of Frost Season 5). Having analysed the results, I can see that it's not displaying the full picture vs. the PS3 outputting 1080p (upscaler set to normal) and enabling 1:1/dot by dot (something I can't enable when the TV receives 576p). Am I missing something here?

I think I can see a reduction in ringing/halos around objects with the 576p feed, but I don't want to pay the penalty of a cropped image. Am I missing something here? I've fiddled with the different scaler options on the PS3 but I understand this needs to be off to get the benefits of my display's scaler.

Hope someone can help as I have a few DVDs en route that I'm keen to view as cleanly as possible.

Soldato
Dot by bot only works with native (1080p) so that is normal I have a Pioneer LX-5090 as well.

Just depends what you think is the better scaler, the Pioneer, or PS3.
With all my sources that can output 1080p, I let the source do it (DVD/Sumvision media player/HTPC/BD) and Freesat HD Humax box can't remember what that is set to.

Overscanning would annoy me, plus you will lose resolution as well.

Personally I'd just let the PS3 output to 1080p (I use a Oppo 983H DVD player)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

My understanding is that the panel will also upscale to it's native resolution but do it better than the PS3. I've seen conflicting advice around that indicates you should let TV do the work but does that mean accepting overscan?

If so, I'll stick with the PS3.

Soldato
ringing/halos is often an artifact of the noise in the limited bitrate mpeg encoding on the dvd and not the upscaling -
(may not be possible with lx5090) but if you could rip the dvd and stream to tv by dlna/usb that maybe best ? since tv may have superior mpeg noise reduction algorithms and scaler.
that is what i found with newer pan tv versus humax (as i wrote in other thread)

if you can watch 'Frost' re-runs on freeview and they are better than using dvd that proves the point somewhat. (depending on freeview bitrate)

Back
Top Bottom