Levi 501s...will they shrink much?

Soldato
Hey guys. I bought a pair of 501 Straight Leg Ground down jeans today. Nowhere on the label does it say that they are actual shrink-to-fit but there is a little card stapled to them that says home laundering may cause slight shrinkage.

What I am curious to know is just how much shrinkage might take place? I bought 32" waist which fit just fine but worry that they might shrink after their first wash. Leg length isn't too much of an issue as they are just a bit long anyway and there is plenty of room in the leg and seat, it's just the waist I worry about.

Input welcomed please don't want to ruin them first time. :)

Soldato
As long as they were reasonably comfortable when you bought them they should be fine. I honestly can't see how the shrinkage will be even noticeable, my £14 George jeans were fine.

Permabanned
I've had a few pairs, didn't really notice any shrinking in the wash at 40'c. They're usually a bit tighter for the first wear after a wash, but I find most denims get more comfortable the more they're worn between washes...

Soldato
OP
Whilst they aren't what I would call tight, there isn't really room for shrinkage. Do they stretch a bit after the first post-wash wear?

Man of Honour
The colour on mine faded more than it shrank... I was a bit annoyed actually because 'go with anything' dark blue became 'I do not go with anything' bright deep blue.

Don't wash jeans unless you really have to.

Caporegime
Just waiting for someone to come in and say that ~! Japanese raw denim !~ is the only type of jeans to wear.

Anyway, any shrinkage will quickly, um, un-shrink once you put the jeans on and they become more comfortable.

Caporegime
The colour on mine faded more than it shrank... I was a bit annoyed actually because 'go with anything' dark blue became 'I do not go with anything' bright deep blue.

Don't wash jeans unless you really have to.

I got this pair of All Saints that I'm scared to wash, it's kinda dark blue verging on grey/black, anything lighter it will look wrong.

Man of Honour
Genuine question for all the owners...

Having got fed up of poor quality god awful primark jeans, I'm considering getting a decent pair of Levi's...

How do you justify spending that much on a single pair of jeans? o.O

kd

Because they are more comfortable and look more stylish.

:p

Soldato
Should be fine, the only problem may come from using a tumble dryer.

Genuine question for all the owners...

Having got fed up of poor quality god awful primark jeans, I'm considering getting a decent pair of Levi's...

How do you justify spending that much on a single pair of jeans? o.O

kd

The sales, or occasionally 'vintage' shops.

Soldato
I used to really like Levis, but the two recent pairs I've bought have been awful! The wear is showing already, and i don't crawl about in them or anything. The colour has also faded on both, and they are only ever washed on 40.

Soldato
The best Denim for Jeans is used by Diesel.
They wear and wash really well and last a long time. I have some that are 3 - 4 years old and have been washed plenty of times and the colour is still fine with them and no rips etc anywhere on them.

I was told Diesel use the best denim by a friend who was chief female clothes buyer for marks and spencers (peruna)

some may not agree. But I think for around £100 - £140 for something you wear a lot and get 4+ years out of them, is no bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom