LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Soldato
Edit: Not had any issues with flicker, I played with g-sync on for a bit and then decided to turn it off so I could get all 240hz :)

How do games feel when running at 240hz with freesync compared to using freesync? Do you notice any tearing or games feeling less smooth. Last time I gamed without freesync was on a 60hz screen so obviously going to a freesync screen made a huge difference.

Associate
With G-sync on I'm seeing a kind of flickering, but only in menu screens... its kind of like the blacks are flickering in terms of brightness. It doesn't happen during gameplay so maybe it's something to do with having a lower frame rate set in menus that's causing it? From a quick search online it looks like something high refresh rate OLEDs suffer with. Spent most of last night in an FPS with G-Sync on and it worked well. Think I'll only bother with G-sync for FPS games. For none-competitive games where I have graphics settings cranked up and FPS is much lower, I don't fancy having my refresh rate being down at 60 Hz... I personally don't notice tearing at all when playing these kind of games, but I'm sure it's there if you really looked for it.

Last edited:
Associate
Ugh, I've noticed I've got a dead subpixel... hadn't noticed it to date as it only shows up on certain colours like green and yellow (I noticed it watching football this afternoon). I've tried running the pixel refresher, image cleaning and no dice. It's quite near the edge of the screen so at least it's not in a really obvious place but now I know it's there it's going to bug me... I wouldn't care if it was on my TV but with this 27" I obviously sit much closer to the screen (at my desk) so it's quite obvious

It's still easily returnable until the end of Jan but I really like the monitor and there's no guarantee a replacement wouldn't also have a dead pixel/sub-pixel... shall I just live with it...?

It's definitely just a sub-pixel as the pixel works fine on all other colours, including white...

Last edited:
Soldato
Ugh, I've noticed I've got a dead subpixel... hadn't noticed it to date as it only shows up on certain colours like green and yellow (I noticed it watching football this afternoon). I've tried running the pixel refresher, image cleaning and no dice. It's quite near the edge of the screen so at least it's not in a really obvious place but now I know it's there it's going to bug me... I wouldn't care if it was on my TV but with this 27" I obviously sit much closer to the screen (at my desk) so it's quite obvious

It's still easily returnable until the end of Jan but I really like the monitor and there's no guarantee a replacement wouldn't also have a dead pixel/sub-pixel... shall I just live with it...?

It's definitely just a sub-pixel as the pixel works fine on all other colours, including white...
Na, just go through the faff and return it.

Associate
Replacement screen arrived today and sods law it also has a dead pixel, this time in the top right. Just going to stick with it as I'm really never going to notice it with it being where it is. Either I'm really unlucky or having at least one dead pixel appears normal for these panels...

Last edited:
Associate
If you go looking you'll always notice something. Don't let perfect get in the way of perfectly acceptable.

I found some DSE in one of the corners on my Oled TV when new on very low luminescent test slides and thats only because I went looking to se if I won the panel lottery. Undetectable in normal viewing. 4yrs on and TVs still going strong haven't thought about it since.

Associate
Unlike most people I'm looking for a matte 27" OLED. Does anyone know if the newer 27GS95QE is getting a UK release?
It's been out in the US and EU for a few months now.

Associate
Unlike most people I'm looking for a matte 27" OLED. Does anyone know if the newer 27GS95QE is getting a UK release?
It's been out in the US and EU for a few months now.
I spent a while trying to find a UK retailer that was selling it or find any information about it, LG's UK support didn't even know it existed and then linked me to a 4K IPS monitor and was told that was the UK equivalent so they're a little hopeless.

In the end I just bought a B-Grade 27GR95QE from OCUK and will see what gets released towards the end of the year.

Edit: I also bought the LG service remote to make those two changes to remove vignetting and gain a bit more brightness and that definitely makes a nice difference too.

Last edited:
Associate
I spent a while trying to find a UK retailer that was selling it or find any information about it, LG's UK support didn't even know it existed and then linked me to a 4K IPS monitor and was told that was the UK equivalent so they're a little hopeless.

In the end I just bought a B-Grade 27GR95QE from OCUK and will see what gets released towards the end of the year.

Edit: I also bought the LG service remote to make those two changes to remove vignetting and gain a bit more brightness and that definitely makes a nice difference too.

Is it worth getting the service remote and doing the changes then? Was just reading into it and apparently turning at least one of settings off disables the auto pixel refreshing feature, did that happen on yours?

Last edited:
Associate
Is it worth getting the service remote and doing the changes then? Was just reading into it and apparently turning at least one of settings off disables the auto pixel refreshing feature, did that happen on yours?
Yeah, the remote is cheap enough to make it worth at least trying. You can find them on a few different places (MKJ39170828 is the remote you want).

ApOCGYZ.png

I did read about it disabling the auto pixel refresh and image cleaning features but I had my image cleaning notification pop up this afternoon when I went to switch the monitor off so I'm assuming it's still there. In all honesty, I haven't paid a load of attention to it. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if I get the alerts.

The only annoying thing is that the two changes you have to make don't save after you switch the monitor off - but it takes me about 5 seconds now to press 'in-start' on the service remote and adjust the two settings so for me, I still think it's worth it. Particularly the vignette setting.

Associate
Ahh right I didn't realise you had to redo the settings each time. Is that only following a full 'hard' power off or does it include when it goes into standby inbetween shutdown and rebooting? I may just leave it in that case, I have no complaints about the brightness as I don't have any natural light sources in the room I use mine in...

Associate
Ahh right I didn't realise you had to redo the settings each time. Is that only following a full 'hard' power off or does it include when it goes into standby inbetween shutdown and rebooting? I may just leave it in that case, I have no complaints about the brightness as I don't have any natural light sources in the room I use mine in...
Yeah it's only following a 'hard' power off, so going into standby wouldn't reset it.

Agree with you about the brightness, I actually don't even use it at full brightness. It was the vignette effect that was the main reason why I bought the service remote (plus it wasn't too pricey to give it a go).

Associate
Yeah it's only following a 'hard' power off, so going into standby wouldn't reset it.

Agree with you about the brightness, I actually don't even use it at full brightness. It was the vignette effect that was the main reason why I bought the service remote (plus it wasn't too pricey to give it a go).

Ah that's fine then as I only ever let mine go into standy. Just ordered the remote, will give it a go, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom