LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Associate
Hmm not a popular monitor then?
Pricing seems to have come down a bit but I'm still on the fence whether to replace my main monitor with it. I'm just worried about all of the comment related to office work / spreadsheets / document / text etc. on the panel. I use 1 27" monitor and then a second 24" panel in portrait so my primary monitor sort of has to do everything.

Soldato
Pricing seems to have come down a bit but I'm still on the fence whether to replace my main monitor with it. I'm just worried about all of the comment related to office work / spreadsheets / document / text etc. on the panel. I use 1 27" monitor and then a second 24" panel in portrait so my primary monitor sort of has to do everything.

My main use would be gaming and I pretty much always game in a dark room so all brightness and sub pixel issues aren't a concern for me. My only worry as I said prevously is the potential for VRR flicker which I think would drive me crazy. Another slight concern is the ABL but I believe you can turn that off under some kind of eco mode setting.

Soldato
I have this monitor and love it. Text is fine and not noticed any VRR flicker playing ps5 games. As for brightness I often find it too bright especially if I forget to turn HDR mode off in windows. Having a 240 refresh rate has really stretched the legs of my gtx4090.

Soldato
I'm still on the fence about this monitor. How are you finding it now after a couple of months use? Have you noticed any VRR flicker? Thanks my main concern really

I ended up returning it due to the dead pixel and got an Alienware ultrawide instead in the end, so I probably can't comment beyond what I originally said. I can't say I ever noticed any vrr flicker, though maybe I just didn't do anything that could cause it

Soldato
I ended up returning it due to the dead pixel and got an Alienware ultrawide instead in the end, so I probably can't comment beyond what I originally said. I can't say I ever noticed any vrr flicker, though maybe I just didn't do anything that could cause it
I've found menu in AC6 to be a good source for checking flickering, tho I didn't need it with the Neo G7, that thing flickers everywhere lol

Associate
I have this monitor and love it. Text is fine and not noticed any VRR flicker playing ps5 games. As for brightness I often find it too bright especially if I forget to turn HDR mode off in windows. Having a 240 refresh rate has really stretched the legs of my gtx4090.
Argh, this immediately makes me suddenly tempted to now buy it... Why couldn't everyone continue to say text was rubbish on it?!

Soldato
Argh, this immediately makes me suddenly tempted to now buy it... Why couldn't everyone continue to say text was rubbish on it?!

As happy as I was with mine before returning it, I'm not sure I'd be that positive about the text. It's certainly noticeable, it's one of those things that's really down to the individual though, didn't bother me but some people won't like it. And if your using it for work you've obviously also got the burn-in concerns.

Not trying to put you off as I think it's a fantastic screen for gaming, but just things to consider.

Soldato
I have seen the articles about how dim the screen can be in light rooms and how bad text is for MS office but for me on normal use I have not noticed any difference, although there has been others on here who have and sent theirs back. The only thing I turned of was the eco mode as that was making my windows screen dim when going to full screen from a window.

Soldato
i have this too & text is fine 99.9% of the time, in HDR 100% is pretty dam bright & not had any SDR issues in my bright lit room only issue i have is in A VERY quite room whilst gaming (my pc is almost slient) i can hear the FAN, im working a possible mod to try curb that too :D

Associate
My is setup with g-sync and not noticed any flickering in game or desktop, please explain more info.
never had flicker on my LG CX48 or on this

Sorry was a poor explanation, like dark textures flicker brighter and darker When VRR is enabled. i have forgotten the name people give it heres a proper explanation on reddit

It will happen with every variable refresh rate system. The issue is the OLED panel reacting differently to various refresh rates, the pixels light up for different durations and the gamma curve changes.

When your framerate is unstable (jumping constantly between very different values, in games with frametime issues) this happens several times a second, so it looks like it flickers. No way to prevent that.

Halo Infinite is a very good example. Its messy framerate limiter constantly jumps between 120 and 60 on a 120Hz screen, and frametimes are uneven (at least that's how it is on Series X when the console is set to 120Hz, and the game to 60 FPS). This creates a lot of obvious flickering in dark areas. The only way to get rid of that is disabling VRR, but then you can clearly see the framerate jumps.
Based on that im guessing its just inherent in the tech, but thought i’d ask anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Do these panels do the flickering with G-Sync on like the LG 42C2 and PG42UQ?

Unless you are talking about near black VRR flicker, which is common on all OLED panels, there should not be flickering and if there is you should RMA it, so in other words you'll find people saying no their Asus monitor doesn't flicker with Gsync because it should not unless something is wrong with it

This type of flickering is common on all OLEDS:

The only way to stop it is to use vsync in games that flicker. Or you can somewhat mitigate it by raising your monitors gamma level and the games brightness

Last edited:
Associate
Unless you are talking about near black VRR flicker, which is common on all OLED panels, there should not be flickering and if there is you should RMA it, so in other words you'll find people saying no their Asus monitor doesn't flicker with Gsync because it should not unless something is wrong with it

This type of flickering is common on all OLEDS:

The only way to stop it is to use vsync in games that flicker. Or you can somewhat mitigate it by raising your monitors gamma level and the games brightness

Yes those video are exactly it, i guessed it was an OLED wide thing, just wondered if newer ones mitigated it better or not

Last edited:
Associate
Yes those video are exactly it, i guessed it was an OLED wide thing, just wondered if newer ones mitigated it better or not
Its not an OLED thing. Any VRR monitor that does not have a physical gsync module with flicker due to static gamma(only gsync can change gamma on the fly, but its not always used, AW3423DW still flickers a little besides having gsync module) - its less pronounced on IPS because they have no blacks, so there is less gradient to flicker on :D

Associate
Its not an OLED thing. Any VRR monitor that does not have a physical gsync module with flicker due to static gamma(only gsync can change gamma on the fly, but its not always used, AW3423DW still flickers a little besides having gsync module) - its less pronounced on IPS because they have no blacks, so there is less gradient to flicker on :D

Yh, its only since OLED where i instantly noticed it and had to turn it all off

Associate
Early firmware of Acer X35/Asus PG35VQ flickered like crazy because they forgot to implement gamma shift. Post firmware update no flicker at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yh, its only since OLED where i instantly noticed it and had to turn it all off

So you use the monitor without VRR? How do you find it without VVR with refresh rate of 240hz? Last time I used a montior without VRR it was at 60hz and I really couldn't go back to that level or tearing or lack of smoothness

Back
Top Bottom