LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
Do we reckon this monitor will become cheaper in the spring? :)

Of course, and when spring comes, new monitors with new features or upgrades will have been announced and so on. It's always the same story and as a consumers it arrives the day we should buy what we want, if not, we will die while waiting forever.

Uvo

Uvo

Associate
Just to provide context, I was advised by Dell that AW monitor is over 1 month wait on delivery. It’s possibke the LG monitor could turn up sooner?

Personally I’m holding off and await the LG monitor G sync version

my AW is been on order for 5 weeks. had no contact from Dell on it despite chasing it 4 times. So really not sure when it's going to arrive and whether I should wait or cancel and switch to the LG. is it worth the extra cash :)

Associate
my AW is been on order for 5 weeks. had no contact from Dell on it despite chasing it 4 times. So really not sure when it's going to arrive and whether I should wait or cancel and switch to the LG. is it worth the extra cash :)

Yeah I was originally planning on AW (or X34P). You can get the X34P quickly but I’m holding out for LG due to the Nano IPS. Not sure it’s worth the extra £400 or so mind you, but ultimately I like the idea of a brand new monitor with very understated looks. Dell’s delivery timescale put me right off which is why I didn’t order. Personally I would try to cancel your order in preference for the LG but obviously it’s based on your affordability/budget given the LG will be more expensive. I was quoted approx 5 weeks by Dell so on this basis I would expect your monitor to be imminent. I would still keep chasing them though - I don’t think 5 weeks is acceptable.

Associate
Alienware update is most definitely coming.. but probably in Q1 2019 not before Xmas. In any case, I seriously doubt it can/will be any better than the LG.
I mean, I'm not sure what there is that can be improved on ? If they change to the Gsync 1.4 module, the price will be more than LG by a lot. If they stay with the 1.2 module, then they will be limited to the same refresh as the LG. Also, (if rumors are true that its related to the gsync module) it would lack an sRGB emulation mode as the LG does. So what exactly will it improve on? BLB, doubtful. Colors? The LG is already quite accurate. Response time? The LG is already extremely low.

So I'm not exactly sure what benefits people think the new AW will offer. But then again, I'm just speculating. Simply put, there's not much room for improvement if we assume the AW will use the same panel and the same Gsync module (otherwise it will be priced above the LG).

Associate
Alienware update is most definitely coming.. but probably in Q1 2019 not before Xmas. In any case, I seriously doubt it can/will be any better than the LG.
I mean, I'm not sure what there is that can be improved on ? If they change to the Gsync 1.4 module, the price will be more than LG by a lot. If they stay with the 1.2 module, then they will be limited to the same refresh as the LG. Also, (if rumors are true that its related to the gsync module) it would lack an sRGB emulation mode as the LG does. So what exactly will it improve on? BLB, doubtful. Colors? The LG is already quite accurate. Response time? The LG is already extremely low.

So I'm not exactly sure what benefits people think the new AW will offer. But then again, I'm just speculating. Simply put, there's not much room for improvement if we assume the AW will use the same panel and the same Gsync module (otherwise it will be priced above the LG).
I very much agree. I do wish they would release one soon for the sake of competition. But yes, we will probably see something at CES.

Associate
I'm wondering if 120 Hz will feel 'slow' after 144 Hz. Or, tbh, I overthink things :p

You're over thinking it.
I play at 120hz on my ROG swift as I get back flicker at 144 in some games on old gtx770.
Don't notice any difference in smoothness, but then I rarely hit 144 with that card at 1440p so YMMV.

Associate
ahhh mister tft central himself :) i love all your reviews and i have been waiting for ages for a 21:9 with no inputlag / signal processing time. ( i love the measurement and numbers you put into the reviews ) to bad there where no ufo trailing shots for the lg review. is it better or the same as the others in its class?

i don't see anything about the panel bits on the official lg site in the specs list. but i might overlooked it.

So yes the 34GK950G is only 8 bit, is this purely limited because of the g sync module ? or purely a choice by lg to only have 8 bit on the 34GK950G.
Because of the asus pg348q has 8 bit + frc. maybe thats the reason why its a bit slower than the new LG? (inputlag / signal processing time)

I also looked into buying a super ultra wide maybe waiting for the Asus 32:9 (which migt have less input lag than the samsung but i am afraid of the ghosting/ trailing of the VA Panels and more inputlag than this LG.

same go's for the upcomming 35" 200hz VA 21:9 HDR monitors and which are probably be really overpriced and have nice active fan's $ 2K+!?

So i think i will be settling for this LG 34GK950G when the price drops a bit after initial launch.

Associate
Can someone explain to me exactly what the heck “black stabilizer” does in real monitor terms, not in marketing speak? Does it increase local contrast or gamma by some algorithm? Does it destroy picture quality and shadows?
Was not clear from the TFT review

Associate
Actually it just has the same panel only running at 144hz and 8bit + frc.
The gsync model does use the exact same panel only different specs 120hz + gsync and 8 bit with no frc on. (maybe you ment the same but i wanted to clear it up )
The trade off is the big difference in inputlag +10ms inputlag on the F model.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the constructive feedback, much appreciated!

I'm going to buy a new system in the coming three months with a 1080ti minimum gpu performance.

I'm using my computer for office work papper exercises, gaming and youtube. No color critical work.

When i game i dont go for maximum quality. I'm more after normal settings where the framerate are as high as possible. And in this case atleast 100 fps +, have a 980 ti for the moment.
sorry for the slow reply, i hadn't seen your response. If you're going to be able to reliably push high frame rates from your system, at the settings you play at, then variable refresh rate becomes less important. However, i still think it has enough benefits to make it logical to select a G-sync screen here if you're an NVIDIA user personally. The 950G is a very good screen and should perform well. i think the only significant consideration left is whether you want a wide gamut screen (950G) or a standard sRGB screen (X34P or AW3418DW) and how much money you're willing to spend. The acer and Dell models are a little cheaper, but they will only offer standard colour gamut. it depends if you like the accentuated, more vivid colours that a wide gamut screen can offer, or would rather have more accurate colours for normal content

Back
Top Bottom