LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
OP
Disappointing especially if they are announced for 2020 probably means most of them you wont be able to buy until early 2021.

I wish the time between them being announced and actually able to buy them was shorter.

Yup, this would be a great monitor TODAY, at the right price of course (not 38GL950G silly money)... a year from now, which it will be at least before we see it available, who knows? It will be a different landscape then, with HDMI 2.1 GPUs most likely, many more TV's with HDMI 2.1 etc. This could be an overpriced lemon by then. :rolleyes:

Given how much LG are still selling their 34" Ultrawides for, I don't think anyone should be expecting much difference from the 38GL950G pricing tbh.

Soldato
OP
There's also another one the LG 38GN950 which might even be Gsync hdr 600 utterly bizzare how the 38gl950g isn't even available yet and they will be announcing a successor already... o0

I've been waiting for the 38GL950G for ages but if something better is coming out only a few months later then i will just wait it out.

I agree it's annoying, but don't expect the GN anytime soon. Just look how long ago they announced the GL, and as you say, it's STILL not available. I think we'll be lucky to see the GN available in 2020... could very well be 2021 based on the delays that every major monitor release suffers with.

Soldato
OP
The newer version LG UltraGear 38WN95C has locked 144Hz so no OC Hz and software G-Sync Compatible (Display Adaptive Sync) (VRR) same software Freesync equivalent. .....sure has HDR 600 (10-bit) but it's a huge trade off .. . The LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B has HDR 400 which is 8-bit+FRC HDR can simulate HDR10 content..

If you're looking for a real G-Sync monitor go with UltraGear 38GL950G-B monitor .. .

If you don't care about software G-Sync Compatible and OC Hz passed 144Hz go with the UltraGear 38WN95C version ..

The LG UltraGear 38WN95C is also $500. Cheaper

144Hz to 175Hz means nothing in real world terms... 99% of users wont notice, and the other 1% will only convince themselves they do. That alone is a crazy reason to choose one monitor over the other. If high refresh is a PRIORITY feature, then either of these is a daft monitor purchase for anyone.

HDR-600 vs HDR-400 can make a significant difference, so the trade off there is FAR more significant and noticeable than the aforementioned refresh rate difference.

The 38GL950G MAY offer superior VRR performance, but this remains to be seen, and won't be known until both monitors have been properly and professionally reviewed.

Where are you seeing a $500 price difference? No prices have been announced for the 38WN95C. Please don't assume the lack of a G-Sync module means this will be the case. I think it could come in a tiny bit less, but not that much.

Soldato
OP
How are oc with returns if something goes wrong? I've been waiting on a forest to get them in .

If legit wrong you're good no matter where you buy it. The problem is when it comes down to the inherent IPS flaws of bleed and glow... most retailers don't recognise that as a fault. That said, you are allowed to return for no reason within 14-days regardless... you'd just have to pay for the cost of that return yourself.

Soldato
OP
FFS they said it didn't!! Why can't they fit bloody heatsinks on these things for this price range?

I'm just going to end up getting an OLED at this rate and chucking it after burn in.

I really hope more people go the 48" OLED route, as it's only going to give monitor manufacturers a kick up the backside and might make them realise they can't keep taking advantage as they have been for years... the state of the monitor market in 2020 is really quite shameful.

Soldato
OP
Watch the review hardly inferior tech, educate yourself. HDR1000 doesn't make something the best panel on the market.

I wouldn't say inferior, but it's hardly bleeding edge either, and apart from the response times and higher refresh at this resolution (the resolution itself is nothing new), it doesn't really offer much that other IPS screens haven't for years. Yes, as a package there is obvious appeal here given there is no other monitor currently offering these features... but when the price is considered (which it always should be), and the lack of proper HDR at that price point, it's a bit of a let down despite being a perfectly fine monitor in most respects. It all comes down to that price tag at the end of the day.

Soldato
OP
Not sure about it being better in every way. IMHO, it probably won't be as good as the 950G in terms of gaming performance. The G-Sync module offers some advantages in terms of sync range and eliminating overshoot in all monitors I've seen.

Will that be noticeable to the average gamer though? I don't know, but I doubt it would impact the enjoyment of gaming for most. I suspect those who are super sensitive to such things wouldn't find the 38GL950G acceptable as a gaming monitor in the first place, and they'd be looking at something far more 'pro-gamer' oriented.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure I'd hold out much hope of the 38WN95C being THAT much cheaper... it should be, but unless the other 38" models coming to market drive prices down (unlikely given the secret monitor cabal that ensures LCD prices stay stratospheric), there's not going to be anywhere near as much difference between these models as some people seem to hope/think. Plus there's going to be a LONG wait for it... might not even be this year if past form is followed, but we'll see. One could argue a delay could help if the current model becomes cheaper in the meantime, but 34" ultrawides took forever to fall in price, and I expect 38" to be the same. :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
I don't think you understand how yields in manufacturing works.

Better yields = more supply.

more supply = cheaper prices.

Pretty basic.

Only this is not what happened with 34" Ultrawides, so I don't know why you think it will happen with the 38" varieties. Just how much of a price drop are you expecting here?? It took a long time for the 34" models to drop in price, and in reality, they didn't even drop that much. Still haven't actually, save for newer cheaper models that have come to market.

Soldato
OP
I thought so too at first but it would make no sense for the fan to be spinning 24/7 when the monitor is off

I think that's how they operate. No real logic to the spinning up, but it's how it was on the 4K monitors that used the newer G-Sync module. Seems to bother some people more than others.

Soldato
OP
It's quite unusual in my experience for dead pixels to just "appear". I've received a few monitors with them visible already, and have immediately returned, but have never seen a monitor develop them. I have had stuck pixels occur on a couple of occasions though, but I've also seen stuck ones go away of their own accord.

Back
Top Bottom