1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Legend, Dec 19, 2018.

1. JGF111

Associate

ultimately the main differences between it and the 34GK950F will be its more expensive (unknown how much), 4" bigger, and harder to drive. IMO 1080Ti's are already at their limits with 3440x1440 if 100fps gaming is your target. If you're OK with closer to 50-80 fps on your 38" 144hz monitor then your 1080Ti would be ok but I know if it was me I'd be looking at 2080Ti minimum for any resolution above 3440x1440...

Also, I would encourage you to see if you can go see a 38" monitor in person first. I was absolutely convinced I wanted this same monitor when i heard the announcement but then I went to my local BestBuy to see a 38" ultrawide in person (an older LG model) and they are BIIIIIIIG...almost too big imo for a monitor sitting 20-24" inches from your face... I am still considering it but its no longer a homerun purchase, i need to see if I have the room to set it back an appropriate distance on my desk (should probably be about 36" away imo)

2. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Oops wrong thread ;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  3. a5cent

Gangster

The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:
    - X27
    - PG27UQ
    - XB273K
    The upcoming:
    - X35
    - PG35VQ
    will also use the v2 module. Some believe the 38GL950 will as well.

Anytime you see G-SYNC (real G-SYNC, not "G-SYNC compatible") paired with any sort of HDR capability or DP1.4 currently means the monitor is using the v2 module, as the v1 supports neither (only SDR and DP1.2).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  4. levifig

Associate

This is definitely **the** monitor I've been waiting for, but if it's going to cost >= $1,500, I might as well get 2x 27'' now (one 144Hz+ and another just 60Hz) and then wait for these to get to 38UC99 (or Dell's U3818DW) pricing (which is now < $900 most of the time)… That's actually one of the reasons why I'd rather get a FreeSync version of this monitor, and save the G-Sync tax, which I know is better but I wouldn't really take advantage of anyway. I just want the 144Hz+ @ 3840x1600 more than I want adaptive sync… ;)

5. a5cent

Gangster

It's funny. I see it the exact opposite way around. To my eyes, high DPI and high refresh rates are absolutely worthless without some form of adaptive sync. I used to play everything with V-SYNC enabled, and while that eliminated the tearing it made everything jittery. To me, a high end monitor that forgoes employing adaptive sync (either G-SYNC or FreeSync is fine) is like an Aston Martin with a Fiat 500 engine.

The only way I'd ever see that differently is if I tended to play games where my rig easily met and consistently matched my monitors maximum refresh rate (gives you the same effect as if you had adaptive sync), but I can't achieve that with my rig and the games I play. :-(

6. levifig

Associate

Well, the only games where I *actually* care about > 60fps are mostly competitive FPS (where V-Sync is a big NO-NO), and my rig (OC'ed 7900X+1080Ti) can easily keep up with 144Hz, especially since I lower the settings on most of them for competitive reasons… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sure: it'll be nice running "fancy" games at 100+ fps, but it's not as critical for me, personally. I totally understand your perspective, though… :)

7. a5cent

Gangster

Well, I certainly understand the second part of your argument. That makes sense.

I guess I don't get the first part. I'd say it's exactly in those situations when you don't care about or can't consistently achieve 144 Hz that adaptive sync provides the biggest benefit. It's when my FPS counter bounces around between 50 Hz and 100 Hz where I appreciate it most.

If you spend most of your game-time playing competitive FP shooters with simple and fast graphics, then I see how adaptive sync doesn't really matter. If a significant portion of your game-time still goes towards the fancy and slow stuff, then wouldn't you want a working adaptive sync solution?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. Vega

Wise Guy

Dan, now that spring is in full-swing, this monitor still looking like July/August?

9. muSashisf

Associate

Should be Q2, so between april to last june. Though still no word of the freesync version :/.

10. Vega

Wise Guy

What is your reference for Q2?

11. Baddass

Don

There’s no way it’s going to be Q2. My bet is Q4. No specific reference for that, just seems likely given it’s high end features and the delays there’s been in recent years on top end screens

12. NirK

Mobster

Yes people are wayyyyy too optimistic with release dates haha. Probably 2020 I would not be surprised.

13. a5cent

Gangster

@Daniel - LG

Just reposting this so it isn't forgotten. This is the summary of the questions you wanted (all of which still need answers) :

1. Can you confirm the July/August release date for the UK?
    2. On LG's web page for the 38GL950G, one of the key features mentioned is NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible. LG's plaque at CES 2019 mentioned only G-SYNC. As we've since learned, those are two different things. A G-SYNC Compatible certified monitor lacks the G-SYNC hardware, meaning it's actually a VESA adaptive sync (a.k.a FreeSync) monitor. Which of those two is correct? Is it real G-SYNC, or will it be G-SYNC Compatible certified?
    3. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will LG eventually release an "F" VERSION?
    4. IF the 38GL950G is a real G-SYNC monitor (NOT G-SYNC Compatible), will it require a fan/blower to cool the v2 G-SYNC module (like Acer's X27 or Asus' PG27UQ)?
    5. Any new info on eventual HDR support?

14. muSashisf

Associate

15. Legend

Soldato

This won't be Q2 or even Q3 I suspect, definitely Q4 and may even slip into 2020, based on past form from LG and every other major monitor release of the past few years. I'd like to be wrong, but everyone should expect the worst here.

16. Born_2_Kill_83

Sgarrista

Thinking this is going to be my first monitor in the last 4 years and upgrade from my day one Acer X34

17. SQHQ

Associate

if its going to cost 2k$ and the quality control is still going to be poor like with the 34GK950G-B then LG is going to have a problem.

18. NirK

Mobster

Like every other monitor on the planet you mean? haha

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  19. muSashisf

Associate

I can answer two of those questions, in fact number 2-3.
    It has to be the real deal (hardware wise) as this monitor was annonunced (december 2018), before Nvidia made freesync compatible with G-sync drivers in january of 2019.
    But this monitor is also gonna be released as a Freesync version (G-sync compatible), which will mostly likely support HDR600 (If LG havent changed their mind), but we still dont know much about it, as LG only choose to reveal the G-sync version so far.

20. muSashisf

Associate

I am in the same situation, will be upgrading my 34" as well! Hopefully sometime in Q2, as LG have stated that it is "coming soon".
    Source: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

Though I am of course going for the freesync version, that should have a much better price point and that sweet HDR600. Expect it to cost around 1200-1600$.