LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Caporegime
i'm thinking that might be more than i can do. however the 38GN950P-B is available for £675. looks like it's g-sync compatible and freesync. or maybe i need to look at 4k now. i like the 3840 x 1600 res, it's NOT massively ultrawide so i dont need to keep moving my head like the really long monitors.
Excellent choice, had one of those for a while :cool:

Associate
N was a pretty big jump overall iirc, much more reponsive.

I'm interested in hearing why do you say that? GL seems to have better better specs overall on paper on fast glance and scores on average better here:

Only upside I see over the GL is the lack of fans, as I've understood. But that's also a minus, as it's due to lack of dedicated G-Sync unit.

And please note, regarding the GN: "Cons: Terrible edge-lit local dimming." Now that alone would make to skip the model.

Last edited:
Associate
Very sorry to hear that. I'm absolutely loving mine. I can't see a reason for monitor upgrade for years to come. I'd start by opening the backpanel and doing a visual inspection if any clear visual sign of fault would caught the eye, like fried up component. You might have to dissassemble the G-Sync unit and remove the heatsink. One of my guesses would be it, as the heatpaste eventually, actually just after a couple of years of usage dries out, which leads the G-Sync die to broil.
taken it to a computer store, showed them the youtubes of a bloke removing the IC and ovening it to reset the solder. They have an oven. If they can fix it, then it'll cost about £200, if not it's free.

Associate
taken it to a computer store, showed them the youtubes of a bloke removing the IC and ovening it to reset the solder. They have an oven. If they can fix it, then it'll cost about £200, if not it's free.

I'd say it's a good deal given the amount of required work. I sure wouldn't do it for that price, if not but only for myself. I do however have a vague impression that the oven fix might - in the worst case scenario - be shortlived. If you get a 6 month, or better yet a full year warranty for the fix, I'd go for it like cheesecake.

Back
Top Bottom