LG 38UC99 purchase - Going from the Acer X34 to the LG

Caporegime
Hi Guys, I know I promised my thoughts on the LG that I got before Christmas and here it is. Sorry for the delay, was testing various graphics card setups with it and wanted to all my thoughts together in regards to it (and I got myself suspended for saying something silly in gfx which was stupid :D).

Background
Anyhow, Christmas was fast approaching and I was being really encouraged by all the positive reports of the LG I was reading about and was being tempted by it.

Not much of an 'upgrade' over the X34 I hear you cry and no, on paper you'd think it wasn't. But the extra size seemed like it'd be nice AND the fact that having a 4k UltraWide res (at least in the width) was attractive as I do tend to watch a few movies using my system on occasion. I know that the extra resolution of the LG would put a little more pressure on my graphics setup but I figured dropping a couple of settings wouldn't hurt too much (4.95 million pixels vs 6.14 of the LG).

Here's a pic for a bit of a visual comparison;

IMG_0763.jpg

Gaming

Now this was one aspect where I wasn't expecting the LG to be as good as the X34, simply because I'd had such a good experience with a 1080 and the Acer (I did actually have 1080 SLi but had numerous problems in my favourite game 'The Division' with them that I ended up running a single card 90% of the time anyhow!). The 1080 and Acer are almost perfect match imo, with the nVidia card having the power to push graphically demanding games upto that magical 100fps mark :cool: Perfection would be a Titan + X34, but that costs a LOT!!

After some testing and tweaking I found that the LG was quite good using a 1080 set to 'Fastsync' and the LG using a 'Fast' pixel response time along with their Low Motion Blur setting enabled, finding that it gave a very good gaming experience. if not reaching the dizzy heights of a 100hz panel I found that 75hz is a damn good improvement over 60 for sure! 'Just' about could step down to 75, as long as I could push the fps past 75 to eliminate tearing (as is the main feature of Fastsync). Overall I was pleased!

I've since picked up a s/h Fury and have to say it's also giving a good experience, my only problem getting Freesync to work with 'The Division' which is proving to be more painful than necessary! A known problem it seems, which is a pain considering the time I spend within this fantastic game :(

Movies/Media

Have to say that the LG is fantastic in this respect, and lived upto my expectations. The BLB/Glow has also been vastly minimised on these monitors and this hardly has any which I'm VERY pleased about! The Acer had a fair bit I shall admit, but I'm not overly sensitive to these sorts of things so it very rarely bothered me (watching TV eps in a dark room for instance would highlight the issue).

The sound also impressed me, with it being much louder than the X34 and also a half-decent bass implementation. Really does impress me for a monitor sound, so much so that I've actually ditched my seperate speakers and rely on it totally now which I'm more than pleased to do :cool: Of course when I want a bit of a gaming session I use my Logitech Wireless Headset that has a USB dongle to provide its own signal :)

When taking all of the above into account I'm extremely pleased that I made the switch and it was a great Christmas treat :D

For myself personally it only needs a more powerful AMD graphics solution in order to bring out the best of it (and also a bloody Freesync fix for 'The Division' AMD!!). Come on Vega, we're waiting for you!!!! :D

Any questions guys I'm more than happy to try and answer them for you. Hope this was at least a little useful for some of you :)

Si

Caporegime
OP
Thanks man, not really a review just my thoughts typed out :D

Am loving it though, and can't wait for Vega so I can start to push those pixels a bit more!! :)

It's a damn awesome monitor, probably the pinnacle in UW that's currently out :cool:

Associate
thanks Jedi, really glad to hear that you have having fun using the 38"

I will be honest, this monitor has surpassed my expectations, and I had pretty high ones for it, I think the main thing I am pleased about is I have not heard one problem with BLB, which is obviously a big ongoing market issue on IPS screens!

I guess only time will tell as to how bold we at LG go on the 21:9 panel, but I am hoping that this at the very least sets the benchmark for future models!

Soldato
yep, lovely monitor, i did have concerns on how it would be for gaming but so far its been great and image quality is top notch, this will be my keeper for quite some time as i dont think a bigger screen will intice me away

Caporegime
Personally, I see it as a downgrade overall:

- freesync range is 52 - 75HZ as opposed to gsync's 30-100HZ and the freesync version of the x34 is 35-75HZ (iirc)
- according to tftcentral, the input lag is significantly higher too
- PPI is the same as a 34" 1440 at 109 so you aren't really gaining any extra sharpness/clarity from the higher res.

IMO, 38" 21.9 is too big/wide too although obviously this is personal preference...

EDIT:

it's nice but I wouldn't pay an extra £600 for 4 inchs though ;)

And this :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Personally, I see it as a downgrade overall:

- freesync range is 52 - 75HZ as opposed to gsync's 30-100HZ and the freesync version of the x34 is 35-75HZ (iirc)
- according to tftcentral, the input lag is significantly higher too
- PPI is the same as a 34" 1440 at 109 so you aren't really gaining any extra sharpness/clarity from the higher res.

IMO, 38" 21.9 is too big/wide too although obviously this is personal preference...

EDIT:

And this :p

In my opinion, if you're after a primarily gaming monitor (and you already have a nVidia card for instance) then definitely go for the X34A or the PG348Q as they're both great for gaming. If you're after a fantastic all-rounder then go for the LG, it'll serve your needs a little better in every other department.

I've had both and I'd choose the LG hands-down :) :cool:

Min

Min

Associate
Hi Jedi,

Just curious, I am thinking of purchasing this monitor.
How did you manage to get 75hz on the GTX1080?

I thought 60HZ was max for non-freesync cards.

If there is a work around that would be amazing as I have a GTX 1070 that I bought 6 months ago and I'm not ready to change yet.

Thank you.

Caporegime
OP
Hi Jedi,

Just curious, I am thinking of purchasing this monitor.
How did you manage to get 75hz on the GTX1080?

I thought 60HZ was max for non-freesync cards.

If there is a work around that would be amazing as I have a GTX 1070 that I bought 6 months ago and I'm not ready to change yet.

Thank you.

Weirdly the Low Motion Blur supports 75hz (with no frame skipping) whereas normal doesn't so I just used that (in combination with Fastsync to eliminate any tearing). Worked well for me tbh :) :cool:

Last edited:

Min

Min

Associate
Ah amazing,

I guess I'll just have to switch modes between when I'm gaming and doing other things.
75hz would be great for the extra frames on Overwatch, but for everything else not too fussed. :)

Thank you for the reply Jedi

Associate
I went from the X34 (owned it for a little over a year) to an LG 38" and have been very happy with the switch as well.

For productivity nothing beats this monitor at the moment for me. The curve on it is perfect and makes more of a difference compared to the X34 which which had a much less aggressive curve radius. I agree that people planning to use their monitor just for gaming might still want to look towards the 34" options but my usage is about half and half (work/play) so I much prefer this LG.

I agree with you that the speakers are surprisingly good on this monitor. I've always thought built-in monitor speakers were rubbish but they are actually decent on this! I still use my headphones most of the time, but nice to have.

And yes, the BLB/glow on these is very minimal compared to other IPS panels I've had (including the X34). LG seems to have made a huge improvement on this front.

Caporegime
OP
And yes, the BLB/glow on these is very minimal compared to other IPS panels I've had (including the X34). LG seems to have made a huge improvement on this front.

Yup, not perfection BUT a huuuuuge improvement over their previous panels (and my X34) :cool:

Glad you're enjoying yours too!! :)

Min

Min

Associate
Jedi,

How does fastsync work? Just download drivers and as simple as that or is there steps to load it?

Caporegime
OP
Jedi,

How does fastsync work? Just download drivers and as simple as that or is there steps to load it?

nVi dia defaults to 'Off' from meory. You need to go into the nVidia Control Panel, find the Vertical Sync' on the 3D Settings tab and change it to 'Fastsync'

Soldato
I will be honest, this monitor has surpassed my expectations, and I had pretty high ones for it, I think the main thing I am pleased about is I have not heard one problem with BLB, which is obviously a big ongoing market issue on IPS screens!

If that's true then it's wonderful news for all of us! Do you have any details on what LG did to fix it in this model, and whether the technique will be adapted for more conventional ratios as well? I'm still hoping for a good 30-32" QHD panel, but the current options (from every manufacturer) seem pretty slack with regards to BLB quality control.

Back
Top Bottom