LG 38WN95C preorders

Associate
Hey, just found this thread and the last few posts are a bit worrying. At this price, there should be zero cosmetic issues... peeling is definitely not acceptable in this class of display.

Did anyone else on the pre-order get charged already? If we're not getting stock until the end of year, why did OC already charge my card? Shouldn't it take funds until we actually have product in the air?

That aside, I'm jittery waiting for my order to get to me. I have a 34" LG now and the UW bug is real. Just hope the curve won't impact my photo work too much!

Associate
OP
I was unfortunately one of the ones that got a bad unit so had to send it back. In my case it had more than one issue.

Firstly, the stand had a massive seam line going right up it where they joined the pieces of plastic together. It completely ruined the brushed metal look.
Secondly, the panel suffered from the same panel peel issue others had. This was most notable in the corners, but it catches the light really easily around the entire edge of the panel. So whenever you move your head you kinda see a shimmering as the light catches the edges.
Lastly, I had a stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen. I could have lived with the other two issues (I plan to mount it anyways), but the stuck pixel is a big no-no for me.

Sent it back with no option for a replacement, even though I got it for the great price of £1099. I'm waiting on an order elsewhere now to be able to try my luck again, but with an Oct 14th delivery date and at £1209! Fantastic do it all monitor otherwise.

Associate
I was unfortunately one of the ones that got a bad unit so had to send it back. In my case it had more than one issue.

Firstly, the stand had a massive seam line going right up it where they joined the pieces of plastic together. It completely ruined the brushed metal look.
Secondly, the panel suffered from the same panel peel issue others had. This was most notable in the corners, but it catches the light really easily around the entire edge of the panel. So whenever you move your head you kinda see a shimmering as the light catches the edges.
Lastly, I had a stuck green pixel right in the middle of the screen. I could have lived with the other two issues (I plan to mount it anyways), but the stuck pixel is a big no-no for me.

Sent it back with no option for a replacement, even though I got it for the great price of £1099. I'm waiting on an order elsewhere now to be able to try my luck again, but with an Oct 14th delivery date and at £1209! Fantastic do it all monitor otherwise.

Wow that seam line does not echo premium in any capacity. I use monitor arms too so I won't need to see that, but still.

The peel issue for sure seems to be quite prominent. QC check must have found it OK to go out the door :( and that's an odd decision for their flagship.

Regarding the replacement option - How did you get £1099 anmd £1209?? OC has it for £1350. I thought OC did not have a return policy for dead pixels lower than the standard (I think it's bout 16 for this resolution).

Associate
OP
I thought OC did not have a return policy for dead pixels lower than the standard (I think it's bout 16 for this resolution).

Yeh this is why I was hesitant buying it from here. If I had to keep a monitor that had the green stuck pixel near the centre of the screen I'd go mad! It was way too noticeable. Although I think you can return it to OC within 14 days for any reason due to buying it online, and this allows in law for opening the box to check the item.

I got lucky with the cheap prices. I won't mention their names but the initial preorder price that two other retailers had were very cheap. One for £1099 and another for £1209 (I preordered it on both sites, because the first site doesn't take payment until it ships). Thought it was a misprice but it actually got delivered. Their prices have since gone up and normalized with what OC are pricing it at, if not higher, but I held on to the 2nd preorder at £1209, it'll just be a loooong wait until October!

Soldato
What’s the verdict from people that have had this monitor for a while?

I love the look of it and I might finally move away from my Dell UP3017.

Associate
What’s the verdict from people that have had this monitor for a while?

I love the look of it and I might finally move away from my Dell UP3017.

I upgraded from my Dell U3014 a couple of months ago. It really is amazing. Colour fidelity is pretty much the same as my old Dell for Photo editing which was a huge relief as I was buying "blind". Adjusting to the curvature of the screen took a few days, but now it is subjectively normal. The change from 102PPI to 110PPI is lovely without any of the 4K GUI headaches. The contrast ratio is a bit low, but absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion. In terms of gaming, it is a perfect monitor if you're looking for ultrawide. Coming from a 60Hz panel to a GSYNC 144Hz is mind blowing initially - the high actual framerates are impressive yes, but the biggest plus is the stability and smoothness of 50 -75 FPS in comparison to the old monitor.

Mine has no problems apart from a slight dulling of the light along the top half inch due to the edge lighting. But only noticable on a blank white screen.

I cannot reccommend this monitor highly enough for Pro usage + gaming. Oh and it's great to have in built speakers as a bonus.

Soldato
I upgraded from my Dell U3014 a couple of months ago. It really is amazing. Colour fidelity is pretty much the same as my old Dell for Photo editing which was a huge relief as I was buying "blind". Adjusting to the curvature of the screen took a few days, but now it is subjectively normal. The change from 102PPI to 110PPI is lovely without any of the 4K GUI headaches. The contrast ratio is a bit low, but absolutely nothing to worry about in my opinion. In terms of gaming, it is a perfect monitor if you're looking for ultrawide. Coming from a 60Hz panel to a GSYNC 144Hz is mind blowing initially - the high actual framerates are impressive yes, but the biggest plus is the stability and smoothness of 50 -75 FPS in comparison to the old monitor.

Mine has no problems apart from a slight dulling of the light along the top half inch due to the edge lighting. But only noticable on a blank white screen.

I cannot reccommend this monitor highly enough for Pro usage + gaming. Oh and it's great to have in built speakers as a bonus.

that’s fantastic, thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like I’ll be picking one up soon!

Soldato
I'm also very very happy with mine. ONLY drawback (which I think I mentioned previously) is that the USB hub uses the Thunderbolt port for downstream connection, so it's a bit of a pita. I have to use a separate USB 3.0 hub/switch for my peripherals between my work laptop and gaming rig.

Soldato
I'm also very very happy with mine. ONLY drawback (which I think I mentioned previously) is that the USB hub uses the Thunderbolt port for downstream connection, so it's a bit of a pita. I have to use a separate USB 3.0 hub/switch for my peripherals between my work laptop and gaming rig.
Ahh that is a pain... i only really went for this for the TB3 for work, otherwise id have gone for the cheaper gaming version perhaps.

I guess being a macbook i find the keyboard switches a bit frustrating so can stick to typing on the MBP for work, bring KB/M in for desktop gaming.

Back
Top Bottom