LG 42" C2 vs C3 vs ASUS 42" ROG Swift PG42UQ

Associate
Auto brightness can be turned off on the PG42UQ but obviously dims the screen. Have to put it up to 100% brightness after that for decent brightness. I have had both as in a C2 and PG42UQ. The C2 has a full glossy screen and the PG has a semi matte coating. I was worried before buying the PG that the matte screen would create a slightly grainy image but I have had no issues whatsoever. 42" is big, but after a few days of use it now seems a completely normal size and very immersive for gaming.

C2:

Glossy screen
Smart TV Apps etc
BFI if you want it
Worked with GSYNC no issues.
No DP port

PG:

Semi matte coating
No smart apps being a monitor.
Works with GYSNC no issues.
DP Port
I was going through the same debate and went with the c2 - Im very particular about having a glossy screen and love the C2 - Id never want a 'matte' screen - no idea why I would want to put a coating on a beautiful screen to make it so its less beautiful :) ... btw I have an old catleap monitor - ie that uses no coating on it and its glossy and it is also a thing of beauty - thought Id never be able to find another glossy monitor... to bad it uses an old dvi monitor cable else I would for sure be using it alongside my c2.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG C2 is the best monitor I have had ever.

Same here replaced an Alienware AW3420DW with the C2, been using it for just over a year and not a single problem used it with both a 7900XTX and an 4090FE. Glad I got this over the Asus monitor as I don't see the point in using an oled matte screen as a glossy screen makes the colours look so much better.

Last edited:
Associate
Just order a C3 42 for a bargain price of £685 direct from LG. I am very excited.

I have really chopped and changed my monitors these past few years.
32" 1440p 60Hz VA - Size was nice, but PPI feels a bit low so monitor never felt particularly sharp. AT the time 60hz didn't bother me, but the black smearing did.
27" 1440p 240HZ IPS - 240hz is like butter, only after using it did 60hz feel very laggy. Colours on the IPS were much better but backlight bleed was bad and 27" feels very small when used by itself.
34" UW1440p 144Hz VA - My old friend black smearing is back, bothering me more than it did after using a IPS. The 144Hz very acceptable when compared to 240Hz. UW is very nice for work, having 2 windows open comfortably side by side was much better, and the extra FOV in certain games feel extra immersive.

I saw the AW3423DWF on offer and really considered upgrading however after looking at other threads and posts it seems burn in is an issue and Rting said it should only be used for gaming. Media and work is not recommended!

I then stumbled onto a C2 42 as a monitor review and suddenly this seemed to make a lot of sense. 42", OLED, 120hz, gsync, and option to use it as a TV.

So here we are. I will keep people updated.

Associate
I've had a 42" C2 in my office (for use by a colleague with sight loss) and it's excellent; we've had no issues with flickering or burn in over the last year. We're so impressed with it I've now got a C3 on order for another colleague with similar sight issues.

Associate
Had a PG42UQ delivered yesterday (yes props to OCUK for the sunday delivery option !) and absolutely love it. Bought to replace an Acer Predator CG437KP which I've had since 2020. Nothing really wrong with the acer, its a great monitor, but was curious to try an OLED after loving my 70 inch OLED TV so much. Will be posting a full review on the site at some point but long and the short of it is that contrast colour fidelity and motion handling are all a noticeable step up. Brightness, a known issue/limitation with OLEDs is I would say "adequate" but then I never really utilised the retina searing capabilities of the acer - think I was running it at like 30% brightness or something.

Last edited:
Associate
The LG C3 42 arrived and it bloody amazing. I thought I would be overwhelmed by size as I always felt the 32 was a bit too big, however this feels just right. Maybe it's the thinner bezels and it sitting quite low but also me sitting a bit further back.

Colours, motion and response is great. Been comparing it to the AW2723DF and honestly it blows it out the water.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I have local dimming ,TPC and Gsr disabled on my 42" c3 oled. if you have the service remote instead of pressing in start press p only top left and the enter 0413 and all menus are there.

cheers, wasn't even aware this was possible on the C3 but not up to date on it. It was well documented the hidden menu had been stripped down or mostly removed but from what you mention its still there on the C3.

People have often suggested at least on the C2 even with the improved firmware for less dimming issues there were still some movies and tv shows triggering it off so it wasn't 100% perfect, but if you can now turn off the tpc/gsr on C3 that makes the C3 the better buy.... well for the next 2-3 months anyhow till C4 arrives.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Would like to see them address any pink or blue tints that the typical OLEDs can get, seems there trying to improve it on the alienware oled monitor at least mentioned here

Associate
The LG C3 42 arrived and it bloody amazing. I thought I would be overwhelmed by size as I always felt the 32 was a bit too big, however this feels just right. Maybe it's the thinner bezels and it sitting quite low but also me sitting a bit further back.

Colours, motion and response is great. Been comparing it to the AW2723DF and honestly it blows it out the water.
Considering getting a 42" LG G3 for my PC which I use for gaming, internet and some productivity. For the first 2 applications it sounds like this screen is more than adequate, but what's it like for displaying/reading text ?

Associate
Just ordered one for £799 ... hopefully it arrives intact and without any issues. Currently using an LG 34GN850 ( which is a 34" ultrawide 1440p monitor ) but I want an OLED display for the superior image quality/contrast. Certainly have space for it on my desk, which is quite deep ... giving a viewing distance of approx. 3.5 feet. The new 32" QD-OLEDs coming out soon don't appeal ... while they are 4K the refresh rates of 240Hz+ mean little to me as I only play single player games, not competitive esports or FPS. A refresh rate of 120Hz is more than adequate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom