LG C8 Black uniformity

Soldato
Do you guys have special cameras or something? Do you actually see what your camera is showing?

My screen is totally black to my eyes and my iPhone camera on that same stranger things screen

Associate
OP
I am using a long exposure thus why text looks too bright, and it looks fuzzy. In a very dark room the screen should be slightly off black. I would describe it as black if someone asked what colour it is. In reality its murky black with a white grain affect. Probably in a lit room it would just look black. However I can still clearly see in person a more black line in the middle and the pitch black top left and right. Without a reference point due to uniformity issues it would probably just look black and would not questions it, it's only because the top right and left are actually black that I notice it's slightly off black by comparison. It's very hard to capture with a phone what it actually looks like. A short exposure shows as all black and night sight makes to bright but shows the contrast difference that is noticeable in person. Below is normal exposure of a similar off black at end of intro. This is still very misleading because that text is actually red and makes the grey is less noticeable in person (the uniformity is however just as noticeable).

R56fIGN.jpg

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Difficult one. Struggled to accept the tinting on my B8 65 but in the end for the money it was better than the limitations / issues LCD comes with. I now forget about it for a while and then something makes it stand out (the golf has been awful this weekend, burned grass is the worst thing!)... but I quickly forget about it again.

However on a 77 for that cost... I'd try a couple more panels if you have the patience

Associate
OP
It does not need to be perfect, I will not return if I only see it every now and then. At the moment I see it several times per episode of varried content. The last one was bad in very dark scenes (however fine the rest of the time) the new one is bad in lighter scenes but not too bad in dark scenes. My last TV I got third time lucky so hopefully same thing again. I can't accept the current one as actually find it worse than the previous one. I got a good price on this TV, half the price it was a few months ago. However if I had paid 7k like some people and have issues like this I would be even more angry. LG should be embarrassed that they have such poor QA.

Associate
OP
Well some good news is unlike the first TV this one is improving. Gives me some hope. One strange thing I have noticed is this panel seems a lot more prone to temporary image retention. As an example I paused on strange things (for a minute at most) title text was retained 5 min later and could see in grey test screen. Is it normal for a screen to retain images so quickly.
(Middle left)
NwdS6mo.jpg

Last edited:

Gti

Gti

Associate
Depends on how high you have your OLED light set at. 100% backlight and yeah you will get retention easily on bright logos like the deep red on Stranger Things. If you watch in a darkish room then whack that setting down, I think mine is on 65.

Associate
I had some fairly visible banding on my C7, though it was only visible when viewing a scene like these grey videos used above (never noticed it when watching TV or on movies other than the odd scene), however I manually ran the pixel correction process from the settings menu and that sorted it out. Has anyone actually tried that before going back to the store? Curious whether anyone else resolved the problem the same way or whether my case was luck.

Associate
OP
Yes and made no difference on first set. The second one had been slowly improving just due to automatic pixle refresh and am now very happy with uniformity. However set seems to be suffering very badly from image retention. I have done two manual refreshes and can still see Netflix pause bar in some dark scenes. Also I watched a film the other day and edge of film letter box shows up in some dark scenes in series now. Is this normal? I thought retained letter box should take time not one movie? I don't think I noticed retained images anywhere near as much on the first TV. I have oled set to 60 although when watching vision if seems to increase brightness anyway.

Soldato
Yes and made no difference on first set. The second one had been slowly improving just due to automatic pixle refresh and am now very happy with uniformity. However set seems to be suffering very badly from image retention. I have done two manual refreshes and can still see Netflix pause bar in some dark scenes. Also I watched a film the other day and edge of film letter box shows up in some dark scenes in series now. Is this normal? I thought retained letter box should take time not one movie? I don't think I noticed retained images anywhere near as much on the first TV. I have oled set to 60 although when watching vision if seems to increase brightness anyway.

Mild image retention is normal for all emissive type screens, eg, CRT, Plasma, OLED.

That is one of the disadvantages, it will go away once you watch something else for a bit. This was one of the things that use to annoy me on CRT Sony Trinatron and Mitsubishi Diamondtron large screens and Plasma Pioneer and Panasonic and OLED is no different as it is a emissive type screen.

Sounds like OLED was not a good choice for you with all the "problems" you have had, banding again a known issue on grey screens and dark screens.Give it a few more months if the image retention is bothering you now it is only going to get worse with age as it does with all emissive screens. This is why for the first time ever I didn't buy an emissive screen and went Sony FALD LED as I was tired of the issues with emissive screens and the babysitting them to stop bad image retention or burn-in.

Today's content has too many static images and black bars, the black bars in time will show areas that look different too if you watch a lot of movies with black bars as I did on CRT and Plasma and it lead to areas not wearing evenly and could clearly see where the black bar areas were brighter because they got less use. Only way to stop that is to scale the movie to fill the full screen but then you loose the correct aspect ratio that I was not willing to loose. So this time went 75" LED without the headaches of babysitting it and all the issues OLED has, even compared to Plasma I think it is worse in a few good areas that are important to me and the banding, poor HDR that can't hit 1000nits is not HDR and all content is HDR graded from 1000nits to 4000nits at the moment and in future 10,000nits.

I was one for chasing black levels but in time realised black is not the only important thing and black levels on most OLEDS to me crushes the black details, to the point in reality you are loosing detail in shadow areas and dark areas just to have so called pure black. Reality is blacks on a lot of Mid to high end LCDS are more than good enough and most people will not realise they are not 100% black and on my new set I think the black is even better than the last Plasma I had and the image is a lot nicer with that and being brighter and whites are really white not sepia as with emissive screens.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mild image retention is normal for all emissive type screens, eg, CRT, Plasma, OLED.

That is one of the disadvantages, it will go away once you watch something else for a bit. This was one of the things that use to annoy me on CRT Sony Trinatron and Mitsubishi Diamondtron large screens and Plasma Pioneer and Panasonic and OLED is no different as it is a emissive type screen.

Sounds like OLED was not a good choice for you with all the "problems" you have had, banding again a known issue on grey screens and dark screens.Give it a few more months if the image retention is bothering you now it is only going to get worse with age as it does with all emissive screens. This is why for the first time ever I didn't buy an emissive screen and went Sony FALD LED as I was tired of the issues with emissive screens and the babysitting them to stop bad image retention or burn-in.

Today's content has too many static images and black bars, the black bars in time will show areas that look different too if you watch a lot of movies with black bars as I did on CRT and Plasma and it lead to areas not wearing evenly and could clearly see where the black bar areas were brighter because they got less use. Only way to stop that is to scale the movie to fill the full screen but then you loose the correct aspect ratio that I was not willing to loose. So this time went 75" LED without the headaches of babysitting it and all the issues OLED has, even compared to Plasma I think it is worse in a few good areas that are important to me and the banding, poor HDR that can't hit 1000nits is not HDR and all content is HDR graded from 1000nits to 4000nits at the moment and in future 10,000nits.

I was one for chasing black levels but in time realised black is not the only important thing and black levels on most OLEDS to me crushes the black details, to the point in reality you are loosing detail in shadow areas and dark areas just to have so called pure black. Reality is blacks on a lot of Mid to high end LCDS are more than good enough and most people will not realise they are not 100% black and on my new set I think the black is even better than the last Plasma I had and the image is a lot nicer with that and being brighter and whites are really white not sepia as with emissive screens.
Not sure about Sony led these days butsamsung panels get too bright, so bright they crush details as well, sometimes just as bad as a oled can crush blacks when using incorrect settings. Find a HDR video of a waterfall on YouTube and watching it on a LED and OLED and you’ll see that the LED HDR panel crushes all the fine detail in the water, it’s just too complex for local dimming to handle and the peak brightness is too high.

Samsung panels also disable most local dimming zones while playing video games which defeats the purpose of FALD to begin with - FALD adds lots of input latency.

I find the brightness is really just relative to your room. My house is fitted out with Phillips rgb led lights that allow me to set any combination of colour and brightness - so if I want a dim room, then even just 400 bits is super bright for hdr and anything approaching 1000 or higher like looking at the sun imo.

Other than the black vs white thing, you also lose quite a bit of colour saturation and contrast on led panels unfortunately.

Al these issues add up: for me I won’t buy another led/lcd tv until MicroLED is here, until then it’s oled ftw

Last edited:
Soldato

Back
Top Bottom