LG IPS235V

Associate
Well I thought I should make a new thread about LG's new 23" e-IPS monitor. I ordered the IPS235V 1 week ago from a competitor of overclockers (sorry OcUK but you don't stock this little gem). I bought it for the lowly sum of £128, with free delivery which did take a week to arrive at my doorstep. This monitor has been mentioned in a few threads by myself and FlyingPig, who has also purchased one.

So, my first thoughts on this monitor are that out of the box that the colours/brightness are pretty good but I have tweaked them a little (and will probably keep on messing with it until I am happy). I have owned a DGM MB24W for nearly 4 years but I accidentally pushed the gamma slider right up in ATI's control center which burnt an image into the monitor. This means that I can't really compare the two monitors for you to judge as this would be misleading as my DGM is not fault free. What i can tell you though is that the LG has a very vibrant picture and is certainly the best monitor I have owned (before the 24" DGM I had a 19" Hanns-G with a TN panel. I do have My DGM still connected to my PC as the second monitor on an extended desktop but will not be using it all the time as the colour is really washed out and is a different size and resolution (1920x1200) to the LG (1920x1080). The one thing that strikes me is the colour, blacks are inky black and whites are a crisp white. All the colours between black and white are very vibrant which is a big plus when using a monitor with an IPS panel. The viewing angles are very good (just as good as my DGM which has a PVA panel) and far better than any TN i have ever used.

For gaming and watching films/TV I could not see any ghosting but then that just maybe me not knowing what I am looking for and only having the DGM monitor as a reference which will have a slower response time than my new LG. Now, the only small problem i have with this monitor is a little back light bleed in the bottom right and a very small amount in the bottom left but is certainly not enough for me to send this monitor back.

My conclusion is that for under £130 for a 23" IPS monitor with VGA, DVI and HDMI (3.5mm headphone/speaker output for HDMI) that this is a bargain. I just need to save up now for another 2.

I have tried taking some pictures of the LG next to my DGM but I do not own a camera and my HTC desire s produces very dark pictures so I won't post them here as it is not a good representation of how good the monitor is. I am hoping PCM2 can get hold of one of these monitors and give it a proper review but for now this is my effort.

Edit: I mentioned in another thread that the LG IPS235V has a 3 year warranty but I was wrong. It is a 2 year on-site swap warranty according to the leaflet that comes with the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Good to hear you finally have the monitor, kingy666, and good idea to make a proper thread for it.

How exactly did you tweak the colours? In the programme of your video card? What mode are you running? I find "user" the best mode. I still have to fiddle around a bit more but I am not too bothered about colour accuracy at this point, it all looks pretty good out of the box to me.

Is it bright enough for you?

If I'd be buying a new rig now, I would not hesitate to buy three of these and put them next to each other.

For reference, and probably useful to have in a second post, my impressions can be found in the thread Iiyama X2377HDS and Iiyama X2377 HDS vs LG IPS235V ???.

Associate
OP
My graphics card (6950 2GB) is set to default settings and all changes are made to the monitors settings. I currently have changed these settings on the monitor.

MODE = USER

BRIGHTNESS = 90
CONTRAST = 70
SHARPNESS = 5

GAMMA = 2.0
COLOUR TEMP = PRESET - WARM

I found that changing the gamma to 2.0 had the biggest effect. Straight away the colours just seem to pop out of the screen. I really am loving this monitor now, the difference between this and my 24" DGM is huge and the DGM probably cost double what the LG does today. I really do wish i had another £260 for another 2 of these for a 3 monitor eyefinity set-up. I think tomorrow I may remove my old monitor and just have a single monitor set up as the second screen beeing a 1920x1200 monitor is not good. You can't expand a wallpaper across 2 different size/aspect ratios as it looks bad and i don't really need the second monitor anyway. If i get rid of the second monitor i will also have room to connect my PS3 via the HDMI port.

I may dig out my girlfriends camera tomorrow and see if i can get some decent pics and post them in the first post.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't know what 130L is but this is a UK forum so we have the British pound. I can't link to Overclockers competitors.

EDIT: i just noticed you are from Slovenija. You can only buy the monitor for less than £130 in the UK. They will not post to anywhere outside of the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
My country is damn too expensive, from retailers to sales......when i check prices outside country I just can't understand who's ripping us off.

from scale 0-100 what score would you give this monitor? my friend is buying 1 for his gf.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My country is damn too expensive, from retailers to sales......when i check prices outside country I just can't understand who's ripping us off.

We feel the same here in the UK. We look at prices in the USA which are usually cheaper as our government puts a 20% tax on everything except food. Soon our petrol/diesel will be 2€ a litre in the UK. :confused:

Associate
I am considering one of these to go with my macbook pro (2011) to replace my desktop system.

What connecting cable do I need? I am hoping none, as I already have a displayport/HDMI adapter and HDMI cables.

Associate
I also got one and it seems pretty good so far.
Rambaud it has an hdmi connection and also comes with a dvi and vga cable if thats any help.

Associate
OP
Can't see this monitor for less than £169 now.

Really was a bargain at £130.

Wow, these things sold like hot cakes to people who really like cakes that are hot. I think when i bought my ips235 the place i got it from had about 360 in stock 3 weeks ago. I guess when you sell at £125 then these great monitors will fly off the shelf.

My LG IPS235 does have a little bit of backlight bleed in the bottom right which seemed to look worse because i was sat looking up at the monitor but now i have a new chair which puts my eyes level with the middle of the screen it is hardly noticable. I have also turned down the brightness to 65 as the whites were just too bright. So, 3 weeks after buying this monitor i really do wish i had the spare cash to have bought another 2 for some eyefinity gaming as these monitors are fantastic.

Associate
Wow, these things sold like hot cakes to people who really like cakes that are hot. I think when i bought my ips235 the place i got it from had about 360 in stock 3 weeks ago. I guess when you sell at £125 then these great monitors will fly off the shelf.

My LG IPS235 does have a little bit of backlight bleed in the bottom right which seemed to look worse because i was sat looking up at the monitor but now i have a new chair which puts my eyes level with the middle of the screen it is hardly noticable. I have also turned down the brightness to 65 as the whites were just too bright. So, 3 weeks after buying this monitor i really do wish i had the spare cash to have bought another 2 for some eyefinity gaming as these monitors are fantastic.

Like Kingsy666 I am also a happy early bird (I paid 130GBP), it was a real bargain for sure!

Associate
Just a quick one guys...

What's the anti-glare coating like on these?

I don't like the gritty texture of the Dells, so was hoping this was subtle or even glossy etc.

Soldato
The haze value of the matte surface is not actually controlled by Dell, it's controlled by the panel manufacturer LG. There is very little variation when it comes to 23-24" IPS monitors. The LG IPS235V is very similar to the 23-24" Dells.

Associate
OP
anyone tried connecting a gaming console to one of these? curious how well it runs

I have my PS3 connected via HDMI and i think it is just as good with a PS3 as with my PC. I have a pair of headphones connected to the 3.5mm audio jack out to get sound but you can buy a pair of cheap pc speakers and plug them in to get sound if you prefere. So, it's all good.

There is a thread on avforums.com that some people have commented saying 'movies are blurred' but it seems fine to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom