LG now has 5 year warranty (Burn in is covered!)

Soldato
Big news from LG today

Starting with the LG G1 and Z1, LG OLED that use the EVO panel now come with a 5 year warranty and this warranty even covers burn in - if you experience issues within 5 years the panel will be repaired or replaced by LG for free.

for now, the LG C1, A1, B1 are no covered because they do not use the new EVO panel but they might do in time to come so for now this 5 year burn in warranty is only for the G1 and Z1.

The warranty is not just for burn in though, it covers other panel defects too.

Last edited:
If older panels develop burn in, irrespective of a guarantee, if manufacturer can't show you abused the panel then you already have 6 years under consumer rights,
(they might refund a failed set considering usage you have had, but you could dispute that too)
if anything now having some formal guarantee may, even, be a cynical move to try and reject earlier failures "they weren't covered then, guv".
Is the new warranty covering use as a monitor then ?

I noticed burn in on my LG OLED55B7V just after the standard 12m warranty expired, neither LG or John Lewis would do anything - all LG offered was to replace the screen for £999 (about 2/3 of the cost of the TV!!!) and tried asking John Lewis to do a part exchange on a replacement set (allowing for the use I'd had out of it) but they wouldn't offer anything.

I ended up trading it in for £1k off a 65" Samsung QLED (with 10 year burn in guarantee) in a promotion they were running a while ago for anyone with TVs suffering from burn in.

Really put me off buying anything LG in the future.

I noticed burn in on my LG OLED55B7V just after the standard 12m warranty expired, neither LG or John Lewis would do anything - all LG offered was to replace the screen for £999 (about 2/3 of the cost of the TV!!!) and tried asking John Lewis to do a part exchange on a replacement set (allowing for the use I'd had out of it) but they wouldn't offer anything.

I ended up trading it in for £1k off a 65" Samsung QLED (with 10 year burn in guarantee) in a promotion they were running a while ago for anyone with TVs suffering from burn in.

Yah just bad luck on being an early adopter of new tech, kinks have been worked out now

lol how much??? I was quoted £200 the exact same model / size 6 weeks ago

Well the B7 came out in early 2017, but assuming he bought it around Black Friday that could have been November time and so 12 months on from that would have been Nov 2018.

£999 might have been correct at the time, though it does seem a lot.

Anyway. 5 year manufacturer warranty including burn in does seem really good on the G1

What's Sony's policy with the A90J that uses the same Gen 2 panel?

I would if you feel it’s worth it - I’ve had my B8 since 2019 though and have used it exclusively for gaming, and haven’t had burn in :)

The CX is supposed to be better yet.

OLED is definitely the go to for gaming though :)

I've had my 55 C8 since 2019 as well, no issues with burn in. I just made sure to set the appropriate burn in protection settings. I also don't game for more than 2 hours at a time.

I've had my 55 C8 since 2019 as well, no issues with burn in. I just made sure to set the appropriate burn in protection settings. I also don't game for more than 2 hours at a time.

Unless your CX is for another room, I don’t think it would be worth the upgrade yet. I’d wait until the Evo panel ends up in a C series OLED :cool:

Unless your CX is for another room, I don’t think it would be worth the upgrade yet. I’d wait until the Evo panel ends up in a C series OLED :cool:

The 65 CX will replace the 55 C8 in the living room, the extra size is better suited to the space. The 55 C8 will replace the 12 year old 40" Sony in the bedroom.

Back
Top Bottom