LG OLED C9: PC audio via ARC (not eARC) Stereo Only?

Associate
Correct. I've been using it for 6 weeks and it works great.

The minor downside is that the AVR is detected as another display/monitor (I 'Extend' my displays) so occasionally things will launch on that 'monitor' and I have to faff around slightly.

Brill thanks for confirming. Which DP adaptor did you use, are there any that can do 4k HDR or is that still done by the HDMI part.

Associate
This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015OW3P1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it's only for audio, it doesn't really matter about 4K HDR

The HDMI cable direct to the TV does all that, so I have 4K/HDR/G-sync/10bit/4:2:2 through the TV

Will get that one cheers.. one last thing I swear Haha you dont need one of those passive adaptor boxes etc you just put straight into the AV?
cheers again, been thinking the sound didn't sound right for a while but never clocked why.

Associate
I'm currently using the extended desktop option with HDMI from PC to TV for 4K Picture and Display port to HDMI to the receiver. I can now get Lossless audio formats again. Just a temp solution until a suitable 2.1 HDMI receiver is released. (although I keep eyeing up the Denon X3600H). My current receiver (Pioneer SC LX-71) is over 10 years old! HDMI 1.3 !!!

Another option although expensive is the HDFury line of products. Splits the Audio/Video

https://tmfsolutions.co.uk/product/hdfury-avr-key/

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hello again. Obviously I solved my issue previously

But I was just wondering if I had an eARC AV receiver, Would the TV actually passthrough the full audio signal to the AVR so I could free up a connection?

Or would it still be detected as Stereo 2.0?

Soldato
Hello again. Obviously I solved my issue previously

But I was just wondering if I had an eARC AV receiver, Would the TV actually passthrough the full audio signal to the AVR so I could free up a connection?

Or would it still be detected as Stereo 2.0?

Can now see the full speaker set with recent LPCM update :)

I have PC hooked into C9. C9, enabled eARC , which goes into into my STR-1080 which has eARC. On my PC can select and play tones from individual speakers now perfect. Atmos also pass's through perfect.

Hopefully if next gen GPU's have HDMI 2.1, this method will allow G-Sync, HDR, 120hz @ 4k but full pass through of audio including Atmos to AV receiver.

Last edited:
Associate
so I found this thread via a google and made an account in the hopes someone can guide me in the right direction lol. Hi everybody, cool site you got here!

Wondering if someone can help with my particular issue. I'm seeing conflicting information about whether my receiver (denon x1500h) supports Earc. I am trying to take advantage of Gsync while also using 5.1 surround sound. When I enable Earc, 5.1 and 7.1 options in windows are greyed out, however I can use the "dolby atmos" setting and I get a 5.1 signal. The problem is, when my PC is not playing any audio, and then I play a youtube video or a game for instance, it takes like 10 seconds for the audio to start working. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it only happened on first booting the PC, but once the sound is working, if I stop a youtube video and play another one, I have to wait 10 seconds again for the audio to kick in, making it basically unusable.

My solution for now, and one I have used before with other TV's and receivers, is to run a passive display port to hdmi adapter out to the receiver to make a "phantom" monitor for outputting surround sound, while keeping the gpu HDMI plugged into the TV. This works MOSTLY, but it has some weird hiccups, for instance when I first boot my PC sometimes windows doesn't detect the "second monitor" and I have to manually detect it. Or windows DOES detect it, but I have to switch inputs back and forth and turn the receiver on and off again to get sound to work. Not the biggest deal in the world, but just frustrating enough that I wish it would just work properly. Also, using this setup, ARC becomes pretty broken on the C9. If my PC is in sleep/turned off, ARC will not work at all on the TV's internal apps until I unplug the hdmi to display port cable. Again not a huge deal, I'm fine with optical if the PC would just work without hiccups lol. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The worst part is, I was using an old Yamaha receiver with an LG B7 and this display port technique was working great. I actually upgraded to the Denon because it supports HDR and 1080p 120hz, and it was perfect until I decided on a whim last week that I needed a C9 with gsync and completely borked my living room PC set up. GPU is a 2070 super if that matters.

Soldato
so I found this thread via a google and made an account in the hopes someone can guide me in the right direction lol. Hi everybody, cool site you got here!

Wondering if someone can help with my particular issue. I'm seeing conflicting information about whether my receiver (denon x1500h) supports Earc. I am trying to take advantage of Gsync while also using 5.1 surround sound. When I enable Earc, 5.1 and 7.1 options in windows are greyed out, however I can use the "dolby atmos" setting and I get a 5.1 signal. The problem is, when my PC is not playing any audio, and then I play a youtube video or a game for instance, it takes like 10 seconds for the audio to start working. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it only happened on first booting the PC, but once the sound is working, if I stop a youtube video and play another one, I have to wait 10 seconds again for the audio to kick in, making it basically unusable.

My solution for now, and one I have used before with other TV's and receivers, is to run a passive display port to hdmi adapter out to the receiver to make a "phantom" monitor for outputting surround sound, while keeping the gpu HDMI plugged into the TV. This works MOSTLY, but it has some weird hiccups, for instance when I first boot my PC sometimes windows doesn't detect the "second monitor" and I have to manually detect it. Or windows DOES detect it, but I have to switch inputs back and forth and turn the receiver on and off again to get sound to work. Not the biggest deal in the world, but just frustrating enough that I wish it would just work properly. Also, using this setup, ARC becomes pretty broken on the C9. If my PC is in sleep/turned off, ARC will not work at all on the TV's internal apps until I unplug the hdmi to display port cable. Again not a huge deal, I'm fine with optical if the PC would just work without hiccups lol. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The worst part is, I was using an old Yamaha receiver with an LG B7 and this display port technique was working great. I actually upgraded to the Denon because it supports HDR and 1080p 120hz, and it was perfect until I decided on a whim last week that I needed a C9 with gsync and completely borked my living room PC set up. GPU is a 2070 super if that matters.

Apparently it does not have eARC support: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-r...-thread-faq-posts-1-8-a-209.html#post59054132 There seems to be earlier posts though suggesting it was going to get it but not panned out, I think only the higher end models received it.

Have you got the latest firmware update? Version 04.80.03 released start of month. Prior to that, as you point out, selecting Dolby Atmos Home theatre did seem to send a atmos signal (lossy I imagine if just ARC) fine to AV receiver. Since that update however which sorted out the LPCM issue I have been able to address the speakers individually which is more ideal for games.

I will say though, I did have a odd scenario where I had to move the PC from HDMI port 1 to HDMI port 3. For whatever reason in HDMI port 1 I was limited to 2 channels, while HDMI 3 saw the additional channels within windows. I am not sure if maby there was a quirk in HDMI port 1 remembering, but since moving the HDMI port, been fine since then.

Associate
Thanks for the response! Since my AVR does not support Earc I think it is a lost cause. I have just purchased the Sharc Earc audio extractor device though hopefully this will put an end to my troubles once and for all. Cheaper than a new AVR at least! I'll let you guys know how it works when it arrives on wednesday.

Associate
very happy to report the Sharc EARC device works great on my C9. Windows has no problem addressing individual speakers and it sends lossless 5.1 with no hassle. Expensive solution, but I'm just glad it works! No more phantom monitor for me.

Soldato
This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015OW3P1O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As it's only for audio, it doesn't really matter about 4K HDR

The HDMI cable direct to the TV does all that, so I have 4K/HDR/G-sync/10bit/4:2:2 through the TV

Thanks mate.

So to clarify, one HDMI is going from PC to TV, the other display port to HDMI is going from the PC to the AVR.

So you set PC to output audio to the display port.
Video obviously goes to TV.

I assume you disable the second monitor which might just pop up via NVIDIA?

This way you get 4:2:0 120 fps 4k + u still get all ur audio options?

Associate
Thanks for everyone who suggested this work around to use two cables (one for video, one for sound) but i've noticed a difference in sound quality and volume between ARC to AVR and direct to AVR.
ARC sounds a bit better and louder compared to the second screen which goes direct to the AVR.
Volumes and settings seem to be the same so i'm a bit confused, both audio drivers (Nvidia) are in stereo and are set to DVD quality at 100% volume.
The settings seem to be the same for each input on the AVR too plus i've tried two different DP-HDMI cables :confused:

My set up that gives back glorious surround sound :) :
VIDEO: Graphics card - HDMI-HDMI - LGCX TV
AUDIO: Graphics card - active DP-HDMI - AVR-X2300W

One other thing that i've noticed is that when i make a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel (to get 30fps instead of 60) i get no sound at all, i'm not sure why this is happening.

For audio i have my second screen set to 480p 60Hz (720x480), is it possible to go lower than this?
EDIT: i managed to get the resolution as low as 640x480 @ 5Hz :cry: , it flickers and has some blue lines but it's only for audio, it being that low should use less resources.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for everyone who suggested this work around to use two cables (one for video, one for sound) but i've noticed a difference in sound quality and volume between ARC to AVR and direct to AVR.
ARC sounds a bit better and louder compared to the second screen which goes direct to the AVR.
Volumes and settings seem to be the same so i'm a bit confused, both audio drivers (Nvidia) are in stereo and are set to DVD quality at 100% volume.
The settings seem to be the same for each input on the AVR too plus i've tried two different DP-HDMI cables :confused:

My set up that gives back glorious surround sound :) :
VIDEO: Graphics card - HDMI-HDMI - LGCX TV
AUDIO: Graphics card - active DP-HDMI - AVR-X2300W

One other thing that i've noticed is that when i make a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel (to get 30fps instead of 60) i get no sound at all, i'm not sure why this is happening.

For audio i have my second screen set to 480p 60Hz (720x480), is it possible to go lower than this?

Thanks for any help.
Not sure why you would see a loss in volume/quality. Your setup sounds similar to except I have another monitor that I use for general browsing. Sorry I must have missed why you need 2 cables. I'm confused why don't you just do pc straight to amp, then from amp to tv:confused:.

Associate
Not sure why you would see a loss in volume/quality. Your setup sounds similar to except I have another monitor that I use for general browsing. Sorry I must have missed why you need 2 cables. I'm confused why don't you just do pc straight to amp, then from amp to tv:confused:.
Thanks for the reply
If i go through the AVR to the TV i would lose G-Sync, to keep G-Sync i have to connect direct to the TV.
Windows outputs in PCM so i can only get stereo over ARC, the work around would be to have separate cables for each, a pain but it'll do until better AVRs become available.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply
If i go through the AVR to the TV i would lose G-Sync, to keep G-Sync i have to connect direct to the TV.
Windows outputs in PCM so i can only get stereo over ARC, the work around would be to have separate cables for each, a pain but it'll do until better AVRs become available.
Interesting about Gsync as I've got a 1610 (think of it as a great great grandad of your amp:D) and its listed as G-Sync compatible in the nvidia control panel. It doesn't support arc though so I have to the same as you. I wasn't sure if the TV could downgrade from pcm to dolby digital.

Associate
Interesting about Gsync as I've got a 1610 (think of it as a great great grandad of your amp:D) and its listed as G-Sync compatible in the nvidia control panel. It doesn't support arc though so I have to the same as you. I wasn't sure if the TV could downgrade from pcm to dolby digital.
That's unusual, glad you have the option though.
The Denon AVR's not a compatible display in the control panel for me, i double checked.

Back
Top Bottom