LG OLED C9: PC audio via ARC (not eARC) Stereo Only?

Associate
I'm not even sure how you can check it is working. Might have to do some googling.
If your display's compatible you'll see "Set up G-SYNC" in the list to the left under display, if you don't have any compatible displays then the option won't be there.
The compatible display will have a Nvidia logo on the screen.
Oh, have to turn V-Sync fast on in control panel and set a maximum frame rate limit 4 frames below what your displays maximum is.
After all of that palaver you should get no screen tearing :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
If your display's compatible you'll see "Set up G-SYNC" in the list to the left under display, if you don't have any compatible displays then the option won't be there.
The compatible display will have a Nvidia logo on the screen.
Oh, have to turn V-Sync fast on in control panel and set a maximum frame rate limit 4 frames below what your displays maximum is.
After all of that palaver you should get no screen tearing :cry:
I didn't think vsync needed enabling anymore.

Associate
I didn't think vsync needed enabling anymore.
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/
"Within its range, G-SYNC is the only syncing method active, no matter the V-SYNC “On” or “Off” setting."

Sounds like V-Sync only needs to be enabled for when the frame rate gets too high or too low which is why it's best to cap your frames to avoid V-Sync kicking in.
There's a minimum and maximum frame rate limit for each monitor/ TV where G-Sync will work, if it goes outside of that, tearing will happen when V-Sync is off.

Soldato
I checked last night, it's only showing as compatible on my monitor (an iiyyama one, not the amp or more strangley my oled, however when I check my oled wasn't switched on at the time so don't know if that changes things. I did read something about it having to be your primary monitor so it could also be that.

Associate
UPDATE

It only flippin' worked!

Bought a basic 'Display port to HDMI' cable, plugged it in to the spare Display Port output and voila - All the multi-channel surround options:

DPtoHDMI_01.jpg
DPtoHDMI_02.jpg

And thanks to a certain generous rain-forest return policy, I can get back the the money I spent on a MSI NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1030 and my 2080Ti is back to 3.0x16 mode :)

How did you get this to actually output sound? I bought a displayport to hdmi adapter and plugged one hdmi cable into it and ran it to my avr. The other other hdmi cable is plugged straight into my tv. While I am able to get the video options I want through the tv, 4K 120 hdr, I am unable to get any sound through my avr. All hdmi cables are high speed uhd 48 gbit cables. Please help. I am at my wits end with trying to figure out how to get this working.

Caporegime
OP
It's been a while since I did this and I since have a modern AVR with eARC.

Are you extending the display in Windows? I'm sure that has something to do with getting the surround options.

Soldato
How did you get this to actually output sound? I bought a displayport to hdmi adapter and plugged one hdmi cable into it and ran it to my avr. The other other hdmi cable is plugged straight into my tv. While I am able to get the video options I want through the tv, 4K 120 hdr, I am unable to get any sound through my avr. All hdmi cables are high speed uhd 48 gbit cables. Please help. I am at my wits end with trying to figure out how to get this working.
Can you get any sound if you drop it down to stereo?

Associate
I had the displays extended. The sound properties showed that the denon avr was the default sound output. I could set it to atmos, but no sound would come through the speakers. This was a last resort for me. I have a modern denon avr-x2700h with excellent HDMI 2.1 48 gbit cables. It is supposed to passthrough 4K @ 120hz with HDR. Yet it I can only enable hdr when it is set to 60hz. That is unacceptable as movies look janky when played. 120hz is just so much smoother. If I plug the pc directly to the tv, instead of the avr, I get 4K 120 with HDR but I can only get stereo sound via eARC. I cannot for the life of me figure out this problem. I have a 7.1 surround sound system that sounds glorious but it seems I have to sacrifice HDR to be able to use it and have a smooth movie/gaming experience.

Soldato
I had the displays extended. The sound properties showed that the denon avr was the default sound output. I could set it to atmos, but no sound would come through the speakers. This was a last resort for me. I have a modern denon avr-x2700h with excellent HDMI 2.1 48 gbit cables. It is supposed to passthrough 4K @ 120hz with HDR. Yet it I can only enable hdr when it is set to 60hz. That is unacceptable as movies look janky when played. 120hz is just so much smoother. If I plug the pc directly to the tv, instead of the avr, I get 4K 120 with HDR but I can only get stereo sound via eARC. I cannot for the life of me figure out this problem. I have a 7.1 surround sound system that sounds glorious but it seems I have to sacrifice HDR to be able to use it and have a smooth movie/gaming experience.
What gpu do you have, iirc only the current ones have hdmi 2.1, oh scratch that. I believe (as I have the 3700), there is only one hdmi input that supports hdmi 2.1, are you using it?

Caporegime
OP
Movies are 24fps, so they shouldn't look janky at 60fps vs 120fps.

If anything using something like kodi and automatically setting your framerate to match the movie when launching one, is a better option.

It doesn't help with your sound issue though and I did it with an Nvidia GPU not an AMD one so no guarantee you can get it working on the 6900xt you have.

Associate
I use Plex and they're janky at 60 fps. Surprised me too. Regardless, I figured it out last night. Turns out the Displayport to HDMI adapter doesn't seem to properly pass sound through for some reason. I then remembered that the motherboard has an onboard HDMI out that has never been used. Went into the bios and activated it. Removed the HDMI cable from my GPU and plugged the 2nd HDMI cable into the onboard HDMI. Booted it up and set the sound up through windows. Plugged the other HDMI cable back into my GPU. Changed to the proper HDMI port on my tv and voila...everything now works. I have 4K/120 with HDR and Dolby Atmos 7.1. The only weird thing is in the windows sound properties for the receiver. The 7 speakers plus the sub are displayed but only the left and right speakers are highlighted and look active. I tested all the speakers and they produce sound properly. Did extensive testing with a bunch of movies and the sound is being properly produced through all the speakers. When I first saw the windows sound properties like this I thought I only had stereo sound due to how misleading it looks. Either way, it's another of many windows bugs when it comes to this kind of stuff. Microsoft really needs to get their **** together when it comes to this and realize quite a lot of Windows users are connecting their pcs to their main tv through an avr.

Thanks for trying to help me with this and I'm really glad I found this forum as it steered me in the right direction. Now I just have to go return that displayport to hdmi adapter. Cheers.

Soldato
I use Plex and they're janky at 60 fps. Surprised me too. Regardless, I figured it out last night. Turns out the Displayport to HDMI adapter doesn't seem to properly pass sound through for some reason. I then remembered that the motherboard has an onboard HDMI out that has never been used. Went into the bios and activated it. Removed the HDMI cable from my GPU and plugged the 2nd HDMI cable into the onboard HDMI. Booted it up and set the sound up through windows. Plugged the other HDMI cable back into my GPU. Changed to the proper HDMI port on my tv and voila...everything now works. I have 4K/120 with HDR and Dolby Atmos 7.1. The only weird thing is in the windows sound properties for the receiver. The 7 speakers plus the sub are displayed but only the left and right speakers are highlighted and look active. I tested all the speakers and they produce sound properly. Did extensive testing with a bunch of movies and the sound is being properly produced through all the speakers. When I first saw the windows sound properties like this I thought I only had stereo sound due to how misleading it looks. Either way, it's another of many windows bugs when it comes to this kind of stuff. Microsoft really needs to get their **** together when it comes to this and realize quite a lot of Windows users are connecting their pcs to their main tv through an avr.

Thanks for trying to help me with this and I'm really glad I found this forum as it steered me in the right direction. Now I just have to go return that displayport to hdmi adapter. Cheers.
What does the amp display when you press the info button, it should show a little graphic if speakers in use and decode mode. My pc is hooked upto my older 2200 and it displays multi in all the time, regardless of what I'm watching (I.e. if I watched a stereo program my pc is still outputting 5.1, just only sound on the front 2.

Associate
Because I'm getting video input straight to the tv from the pc and not the receiver I am unable to view that overlay from the receiver onscreen anymore but because I'm using Plex to stream my movies from my media server I can use the Tautulli addon to see if anything is being transcoded on the fly and it isn't. All movies tested, The Matrix, Ready Player One, Man of Steel are all playing the audio as they should be, TrueHD 7.1.

Back
Top Bottom