LG OLED screen burn in issues

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info and after reading the thread you cant seem to watch sky news either for any length of time due to the fixed banner at the bottom of the screen doesn't seem right if you are spending large amounts of money on an expensive tv .

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s what put me off of OLED, I game for many hours at a time when I get hooked on a game.

I went for the lesser QLED from Samsung and isolated I’m more than happy with it, It’s just more suited for gaming.

If most of your content is TV and Movies I wouldn’t worry too much tbh. It’s the better Tech in every other way.

Soldato
I've gamed for hours on end with my 2017 LG. No issues yet. Leagues ahead of my old plasma panels in this regard and no longer something I worry about.

Associate
I've racked up 600hrs on my LG C7, plenty of gaming and lots of Sky Sports left on for hours at time. Not one bit of image retention yet on my screen.

Caporegime
Permanent burn in really isn't an issue, not unless you are using something like 60+ oled light/brightness and watching news channels or/and playing games with bright huds for about a constant 7+ hours every day.

There might be some temporary image retention but it should go away after doing some slides or/and letting the TV do compensation cycles automatically when in standby.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys for the reassurance as it is a lot of money to spend and then find you have to fight to get it repaired if you did have an issue regarding screen burn. I only posted as there seems to be quite a lot of people already with this issue on the LG oled tv on the link I posted above and there is even someone going to court over this issue in February. Nice to see none of you have any problems with your tv.

Soldato
Always take the Internet with a pinch of salt for everyone moaning you'll not hear from the dozens of happy owners. Even late generation plasmas pretty much had permanent retention solved for most normal use.

Caporegime
Just follow this guys advice:

Burn in is pretty rare but can happen under the right circumstances. The keys for success in avoiding it are:

1) For the first few hundred hours I suggest making sure you vary your content and stick to full screen programming and run the OLED Light at a low setting, say at like 50. Even though I have no scientific data to back this up Ive always done this with my emmissive displays and have never had burn in issues. Try to limit gaming early on in the TVs life and stay off of channels with bright, obnoxious logos at first. Make sure to power the TV off at night so it will run its comp cycles.

2) After the first few weeks you are basically good to go. There is no reason to run the OLED Light setting at 100. 50-75 will cover most viewing conditions. Contrast can be set at around 85 - 88 an Brightness ends up good for most people at 50-53. Use Expert Day and Expert Night modes for base settings and tweak from there. Post back and we can help with some base settings for you.

3) You can game quite a bit but after a gaming session Id run the TV for a while with some full screen content just for kicks. Cant hurt. You can watch anything you want and any channe you want but be mindful of channels with those bright logos like CNN or MSNBC. Honestly, running the TV on news channels a lot is a bad use case for OLED, IMO. Its lame that some channels insist on leaving their stupid logo on the screen the whole time but thankfully, most channels have got the memo and dont do that. Its either trasnparent or it goes away after a few mins.

4) Dont overthink this! Most people have never and will never have a burn in problem. If you game like 18 hours a day or leave the TV on some news channels for several hours a day - Id buy something else. Otherwise, enjoy the awesome PQ.

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ed-image-retention-burn-thread-photos-69.html

Soldato
I have a C6 and i have seen some slight image retention but it was only temporary and very faint.

Wont ever go back to lcd screen again.

Soldato
Used my B6 with no adjustments for image retention for the last year and a half with no issues whatsoever. Play PS4 games, and watch SkySports a lot, no logo burn in, nothing.

Back
Top Bottom