LG OLED screen burn in issues

Soldato
Also @Nexus18 @VincentHanna @tyler_jrb What colour settings do you use with your OLED's for PC use? I'm on RGB 8bit atm, seems to look the best.

I just use game mode on mine with a few small adjustments to Olight and contrast. As I only use it for gaming. Desktop I use my acer 165hz.

Movies I just use isf expert dark mode with olight on 20, contrast 100 and tru motion on setting 3 for both.

Caporegime
Technicolour followed by ISF dark is the most accurate you will get for SDR mode aside from a proper calibration. For the brightness setting, you shouldn't go any higher than 52, in order to set this, have a pitch black room with a 0% black test pattern on and adjust the brightness setting until you see black glowing, when this happens, reduce the brightness by one click where there should be no glow on black at all.

For hdr movies, you should be using technicolour or cinema preset with no adjustments.

I don't use game mode, found no need to, more so when using a 360 controller and especially with 120hz mode, I would say experiment yourself as game mode messes up the colours too much imo and iirc, there isn't as much need to use it for the 2017 models. No idea about hdr gaming though....

Regarding game mode, not sure if this is true or not but apparently the lower input lag comes from just the preset turning off all the edge processing, real cinema etc. settings which should all be turned off anyway (well except for real cinema when watching 24hz/FPS content, personally I use tru motion for media content instead, with 3 for de-judder and 10 for de-blur)

The sound was very impressive on my c7, e7 is pretty much the same but just front firing speakers. Still doesn't match my pc sound setup but I'll probably move my pc speakers around for the TV and just use the headphones + built in monitor speakers for the YouTube etc. sort of stuff at some point.

And yeah jedifragger, it probably won't come through for another 26 days or so, claim has been validated so just waiting now.... Got the money back for JL within a few days of emailing them.

EDIT:

And it is worth remembering that the default settings (especially gamma setting of 2.4/BT.1886) might seem too dark and almost like there is black crush/shadow detail loss happening but this might just be the way the film makers intended the content to be viewed.

Soldato
so does windows creator/fall-update prevent you driving 10bits into the tv in SDR mode to get a wider colour gamut ?
(historically with dell and other $$$ wide colour gamut monitors - where a strawberry can be rendered with the correct colours - I though they had to be driven with 10 bits too?)

Although this thread is labelled burn-in the underlying issue is differential ageing of the organic materials, where beyond temporary burn in after 'x'1000 operating hours the tv requires re-calibrating or cannot render the bt2020 colour space to the same degree, that is what the rtings burn in test is checking too (with the 8, is it, oled panels they have hooked up)
The changes to the pixels sizes in the 2018 lg sets are testament to LG addressing this.

Caporegime
Regarding 10 and 8 bit, in 1080P 120HZ mode, I am able to choose 10 bit, however when running the default 4k res., only 8 bit is available then, I imagine this is down to my 290 though..... I thought these newer GPUs were capable of full 4k 4:4:4 10 bit @ 60HZ?

Caporegime
I thought these newer GPUs were capable of full 4k 4:4:4 10 bit @ 60HZ?

Nah, I've had a 1080ti and for 10bit the max you can do is 4K 4:2:2 @ 60hz

Colours will look washed out on the desktop, you will need to calibrate the HDR mode on the TV but it won't look right until you launch a full screen game or film that uses HDR.

Soldato
so does windows creator/fall-update prevent you driving 10bits into the tv in SDR mode to get a wider colour gamut ?
(historically with dell and other $$$ wide colour gamut monitors - where a strawberry can be rendered with the correct colours - I though they had to be driven with 10 bits too?)

Although this thread is labelled burn-in the underlying issue is differential ageing of the organic materials, where beyond temporary burn in after 'x'1000 operating hours the tv requires re-calibrating or cannot render the bt2020 colour space to the same degree, that is what the rtings burn in test is checking too (with the 8, is it, oled panels they have hooked up)
The changes to the pixels sizes in the 2018 lg sets are testament to LG addressing this.

Why would you want to use 10bit for SDR? 8 bit 4:4:4 is all you need for SDR.

Soldato

Why would you want to use 10bit for SDR? 8 bit 4:4:4 is all you need for SDR.
there are some other colour spaces srgb/adobergb that are wider than rec709/sdr , with windows desktop support, via a iccm colour profile, which folks accessed if you have a wide gamut monitor(srgb/adobergb), in 8/10bits. - so even if the windows desktop cannot be displayed in hdr, I wondered whether these colour spaces could be accessed on a oled, to improve image viewing and browsing and the desktop colour experience see here

I have not seen anything yet where MS say when they will allow/fix the desktop to work in HDR, by automatically mapping it from rec709 to rec2020, until then, other than games/movies (where you take over the fuill screen/GDI interface) an hdr tv is underexploited.

Soldato
I do run the Ribbons screensaver after a minute (looks fantastic on OLED) and a low-ish OLED light setting of 25.

seeing screen saver comment - has anyone invested time getting the apple aerial screen saver running (on windows) ? ...
saw below comment
i agree with your review... except the Aerial screensaver on the Apple TVis the Best (almost worth buying the appleTV for it) of course...IMO

Back
Top Bottom