LG OLED screen burn in issues

Soldato
Had my B7 for around 5 weeks now and haven't had any issues. Can't say I've racked up lots of hours, but at least 150.

Did leave it paused once and forgot about it, but the screen saver with fireworks kicks in after a few minutes anyway.

Planning to get it professionally calibrated in a couple of months, as a friend had his done over Christmas on the same panel and it definitely makes a difference. Football just looked so much better, which I watch a lot of, and have always found on most sets it's always either far to bright or too dark, but his was spot on. Also on a few movies with really black scenes, I could still see the shadows on his set which are definitely meant to be there. When I tested the same movie on my settings, while it still looks awesome, the shadows were missing and lost in the blacks.

Soldato
Planning to get it professionally calibrated in a couple of months, as a friend had his done over Christmas on the same panel and it definitely makes a difference. Football just looked so much better, which I watch a lot of, and have always found on most sets it's always either far to bright or too dark, but his was spot on. Also on a few movies with really black scenes, I could still see the shadows on his set which are definitely meant to be there. When I tested the same movie on my settings, while it still looks awesome, the shadows were missing and lost in the blacks.

will he not note down the settings for you ?
whilst settings for viewing in different ambiant light, maybe different;
in darkness, I have yet to be convinced, from sharing settings, that there is this massive panel/component manufacturing difference, that means one sets settings will not work for someone else.
(I have noted down the setting anyway in case of inadvertant reset for led set I use)

Permabanned
No burn in on my B7 after 9 months.

So long as you're aware of the issue you shouldn't have any problems, basic things like not leaving games on pause or if using a PC make sure the screensaver kicks in after 1 minute.

Also programs with watermarks I try to avoid, transparent ones against the content are not so bad, I remember the BBC had one program where the watermark was literally off the screen against a black background (program was not 16:9), they shouldn't be doing that, turned that off right away.

Soldato
will he not note down the settings for you ?
whilst settings for viewing in different ambiant light, maybe different;
in darkness, I have yet to be convinced, from sharing settings, that there is this massive panel/component manufacturing difference, that means one sets settings will not work for someone else.
(I have noted down the setting anyway in case of inadvertant reset for led set I use)

I can ask and don't see why not.

Will be a few different ones though, standard tv, cinema mode, sport mode, light room, dark room.

We have spotlights in our room, which usually are on the lowest dim mode when watching the TV.

Also, highly recommend watching Sin City 1 & 2 on your OLED if you haven't yet :)

Soldato
I never did anything special with my C7 OLED and have shamefully played a few games in 8-12 hours stints since owning it (with a static HUD) :p and have never seen any screen burn in of any kind. I might just be lucky but I think it is a very rare thing to happen tbh.

Caporegime
Oh big upgrade then for you.. nice:D

Yeah. The nVidia 65" TV's coming really interested me, but their's no way in hell I'd pay 4-5k for one!! I know it's lacking Gsync but it's a small price to pay for some quality big screen gaming :D

I do run it at 3840x1600 though for games, less stressful on gpu and I do prefer the UW format. And comparable size-wise to a 52" UW!! No issue whatsoever with IR yet though, but I do run the Ribbons screensaver after a minute (looks fantastic on OLED) and a low-ish OLED light setting of 25.

Tagging @Nexus18 in this, as I've been on the fence for a while :p

Caporegime
Yeah. The nVidia 65" TV's coming really interested me, but their's no way in hell I'd pay 4-5k for one!! I know it's lacking Gsync but it's a small price to pay for some quality big screen gaming :D

I do run it at 3840x1600 though for games, less stressful on gpu and I do prefer the UW format. And comparable size-wise to a 52" UW!! No issue whatsoever with IR yet though, but I do run the Ribbons screensaver after a minute (looks fantastic on OLED) and a low-ish OLED light setting of 25.

Tagging @Nexus18 in this, as I've been on the fence for a while :p

It was only a matter of time! :D

How you liking it then i.e. the IQ and those DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP blacks ;) 60 4k/1080P 120HZ mode and scaling wise?

With OLED light @ 25, you should be ok.

Caporegime
It was only a matter of time! :D

How you liking it then i.e. the IQ and those DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP blacks ;) 60 4k/1080P 120HZ mode and scaling wise?

With OLED light @ 25, you should be ok.

Yup, I'm really liking it. It's the *king* for media consumption, and with it being in bedroom it's great for movies/tv ;)

It's a bit glossy but not too bad tbh, expected it to be worse so that's good. Not done a great deal of gaming on it tbh, but thinking of pairing it with a PS4 Pro or One X :)

Not noticed any IR, but having the background change often and the ribbons kicking in after a minute must help I think. For the money (£1k) I think I got a really good deal! All-in-all, very :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice one on the price! :D How you get that deal? Still waiting on the £500 back from LG.... And yup nothing will touch an oled 55" at that sort of price :cool:

For pc, I use technicolour expert with oled light at 30, brightness at 51 and everything else at the default settings, make sure the black level is set to high and in Nvidia settings, you have it set to full RGB.

Caporegime
I have a B6

I use limited RGB and black level low on the TV, but yeah I use 8bit RGB in the Nvidia control panel.

Could never get 10bit or 12bit with HDR to work very well after the Windows 10 creators update.

Caporegime
Ok thanks @Nexus18 @VincentHanna I couldn't get 10/12bit working right either, colours were whacky!

Hope that £500 comes through Nex, if it does you got a *right* deal!! Surprised with the sound on the B7 though, pretty damn decent even for music :) Thought it might be best to have it in Game mode though instead of Expert, for the lower lag? Unless it doesn't matter? And I spotted it on eBay for £1200 BiN on its last day and he was up for a good deal ;)

Back
Top Bottom