LG to unveil HDR monitors at CES 2017

Associate
Will be interesting to see what the size and specs are. Monitors are too small for any effective local dimming and with hdr shooting the backlight right up wont black content look rubbish?, very much doubt they will be oled screens, would eat my pants if they were.

To be honest while testing hdr on the new samsung ks7000 I can't say I was impressed by it, it made the screen too bright for my eyes and it only made the edge lit display more obvious even with local dimming. Think people should keep expectations in line for now. Just don't see how they can make hdr monitors smaller then 40" and not have the backlight ruin anything other than bright images.

To be honest while testing hdr on the new samsung ks7000 I can't say I was impressed by it, it made the screen too bright for my eyes and it only made the edge lit display more obvious even with local dimming. Think people should keep expectations in line for now. Just don't see how they can make hdr monitors smaller then 40" and not have the backlight ruin anything other than bright images.

Came here to post the same thing, I didn't realize that playing something in HDR that it quite literally takes over my TV settings and ramps everything up to 'burn your retina mode", and then when you finish playing HDR content you TV goes back to using it's 'regular' settings so everything seems off, dull, it's strange, I like consistency in my image, not suddenly my TV ramping everything up for HDR randomly, it also made me realize that I think I need OLED to be satisfied, native 4K content did look very impressive but anything dark looked awful on a edge-lit IPS panel.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, probably. Forcing me to keep my current monitor for another year.

Plus ideally I want OLED anyway.

My concern with OLED is the response times, I game from my sofa using a TV, and I have been looking at a new TV for gaming and obviously general TV watching, OLED looks stunning, but the response times are appalling for gaming

Associate
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...lar-monitor-lineup-at-ces-2017-300377755.html

Seems like it was inevitable. Will be interested to see how the first HDR monitors perform.

Looks more like another marketing gimmick to me. IPS display simply does not have enough contrast to make HDR feasible without local dimming (and I have very big doubts about LG making proper full-array local dimming in 32-inch monitor).
It may support wide gamut (which part of HDR10), but not high brightness magnitude which is arguably the main point of HDR.

Soldato

Thats the problem with new technology though, it happens with everything.

When something like this first comes out the tech firms all have different performance levels associated with their different ranges, and as is to be expected a cheaper model will perform differently to one further up the range.

Within a few years this will balance out - along with HDR coming to standard HD quality stuff, rather than just being on 4k /UHD

Its certainly a case of deminishing returns under 40", but I have an Ultra wide 34" Dell right next to a 40" Iiyama (at an angle) , but I always sit back further when Im using the 40" as I tend to use this for gaming / watching films - but the 34" I use for all desktop uses and therefore sit a lot closer. I dont see why a PC monitor has to any different from a TV without a tuner, which is basically what they are anyway. The backlight electronics can be exactly the same. Maybe Windows / other OS of choice (drivers?) has to be a little more intelligent detecting HDR content......or maybe there will be an MS / Mac OS X update to make desktop etc HDR friendly.......obviously different inputs (HDMI , DP etc) will automatically adjust when HDR signal is detected - but maybe some might want it permanently, where as others may just want it when the disc player / windows etc tells it to.

I think that makes (technical) sense anyway :)

Last edited:
Associate
It may well also fail to achieve adoption. If you don't remember, they already tried to push standard wide(r) gamut monitors several years ago to mainstream. But all it achieved is pretty niche use with some printed content producers.

Soldato
It may well also fail to achieve adoption. If you don't remember, they already tried to push standard wide(r) gamut monitors several years ago to mainstream. But all it achieved is pretty niche use with some printed content producers.

Thats surely going the wrong way though I would have thought anyway......

In the sense that, it has to be common place in TV's first and then "the man on the street" will start considering it for a PC monitor

Wide Gamut didnt really exist until last year in TV's , so why would "the man on the street" even consider it for a pc monitor prior to this?

Dont get me wrong, it may well fail to be adopted - but its also the case that like HD (and UW) monitors, they are becoming standard with age and it may just be a case of monitor manufacturers in several years time doing HDR as standard on all models because its become cheap enough to do this (and it makes manufacturing easier)

Caporegime
My concern with OLED is the response times, I game from my sofa using a TV, and I have been looking at a new TV for gaming and obviously general TV watching, OLED looks stunning, but the response times are appalling for gaming

That was my biggest concern when I bought the B6V

So far I've tested PC at 4k/60hz (GTA V and BF1), PS4 at 1080p and Xbox One S with 1080p/HDR

I was playing the games using an Xbox One wireless controller.

Using 'game' mode for the standard dynamic range games, I did not notice any input lag. Rtings quote 43ms for the B6 OLED but others have tested less than that.

When playing Forza Horizon 3 in HDR on Xbox One S I did notice it a bit. You turn the wheel and it happens on screen a split second later. Not ideal, but LG are soon going to release a firmware update for the B6 models to add a 'Game' mode to HDR content which should bring it down.

The C6 and E6 OLEDs already have the HDR game mode firmware update and tests have the input lag at approx 34ms now.

And for comparison I have an X34a desktop monitor which is 100hz and input lag of 9ms

I think input lag would be more noticeable if you were gaming with a mouse and keyboard due to the more instant response you get from a mouse vs controller, but like you said you game from your sofa...

Last edited:
Associate
In the sense that, it has to be common place in TV's first and then "the man on the street" will start considering it for a PC monitor
Why?

Following that logic, DisplayPort should not have achieved adoption - because hardly any TV has one. One the other hand, its pretty much ubiquitous in monitor scene now.

Also following that logic, variable refresh should not exist, because it was never implemented on TVs. But today I'd estimate about half of higher-end monitor market is variable refresh already.

Monitors and TVs are quite different breed - there is certain degree of tech cross-pollination but one side does not drive another in hard way.

Associate
The article mentions that the panel will be IPS but i'm skeptical so will wait for the official reveal. All HDR LCD TVs are VA and Samungs new range of gaming screens are all VA (even the 144hz 1440p and 100hz Ultrawide) so why would they use an IPS screen in this? They are pushing VA hard for everything else.

There is also the fact that HDR requires way more contrast ration then an IPS display is capable of.

Back
Top Bottom