LiE's Log Part 2

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
OK so I have to say the last few days leading up to the comp I was getting a little nervous and thinking over my lifts to make sure they were good. I was happy with how my bench press and deadlifts were, but having not squatted without a mirror I was concerned I'd not hit depth or cause my hip to die again.

I arrived first with my little bro and proceeded to weigh in, where I made 81.7kg. Really impressed with my home scales because this is the exact weight I'd been maintaining all week. I gave my openers and proceeded out to the hall to have some food. Ice and Dom turned up a short while later looking juicy.

We did some mobility work before starting our squat warm ups and ice/dom got a few looks as they did some crazy band/bondage routine in the warm up room. I smashed my shoulders and did a bit of pec rolling. It was then time for squat warm up, which was fun as ice pointed out the floor was super slippy. Lucky one of the squat racks was on carpet so we cracked on.

The nerves were still there during warm ups and I made a few blunders. Squatting with more weight on one side of the bar, doing a heavy single with no belt, and completely forgetting to roll my legs. As ice said, we messed up the timing of the warm ups so didn't have much time between finishing those and our openers. I was 3rd up after Dom.

I choose 170 for my opener, it's an easy weight for me and meant I could get a good feel for the stage before doing something heavier. I got out there and got under the bar and for some reason was waiting for a non-existent command to unrack. After being kindly told I can go, I proceed to smash out 170. Next up was 190 and again this wasn't too much bother. I planned 200 next but ice said I should add 2.5kg for a little PB, so I did (it's a trap!). I was pumped walking up to the last attempt, I know I've failed 200kg a few times in the past, but that doubt was gone. I got under the bar and did a pretty good walk out, braced myself and went for it. I surprised myself how this went up, my best squat PB to date! The depth on my squats was pretty deep for me, no idea where this came from, I can only assume this is what 'felt' right, and using a mirror I had been stopping myself a little higher.

Bench press next, my lift where I'd put in a big opener for the class. Clearly this guy is a dick, I heard ice say ;) I was talking to ice about not having a hand off from the spotters and he wasn't sure it was possible - I mean what kind of idiot does this?! After ice and dom did their openers and I heard they had weird hand offs my mind was made up, I asked them to step away from bar 'I got dis brah'. Smashed out 140, and left the stage, then there was some confusion about what one of the judges was trying to tell me about my lift - something to do with my head.. but it didn't come up and I got pass, weird. Next up 150 and I have a nice clean rep, but this time I understood the issue they had with my head. Looks like my head was too far up the bench and off the edge a bit, making it hard to judge head lift. A pass was given still. Last up 155, only having done this once before I was pumped. I setup, made sure my head was good, and commenced the lift. Surprisingly, it was a really good rep, not the major grindfest I was expecting.

We moved onto deadlifts, and needed to warm up dat PC. Ice looks at my vibrams and says I should change into my deadlift socks and slippers.... what? I thought I could do deads in my vibrams. FFFFUUUU! I thought it was good night sweet comp, but luckily ice and dom managed to track down a spare set, phew, that was close. 220 first on the bar, no problems. I could feel fatigue creeping into the lifts now, the finish line was insight. Next up 240, and I got myself pumped up to smash it out. I gave it a good go and it went up really well. My next planned weight was 250 so I walk over to let the organisers know, to which Matt (ice and dom's big welsh friend) gave me a WTF look, and told me 255 at least... and in my testosterone fueled state I accepted. I've only every pulled 250 once before, and this was in the gym, fresh, and not having done 8 singles already. The time came, and after some pep talking from the guys, I went full beast mode and pulled 255kg! Such great feels to finish off my first comp.

Such an amazing day. It goes so quickly, you're in a constant daze of smelling salts, screaming and heavy ass lifting. I'm really happy with what I've achieved and I doubt I'd have done any where near as good if it was for Ice and Dom, so thank you for everything.

It was nice to meet FF for the first time, he's a top guy. Thanks to Steedie, Delvis and FF for the support on the day, it was good to have you there.

/endwalloftext

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm hoping to have my home gym ready in 2-3 weeks, until then I'm still in DW fitness.

This week is going to be beach weights, I don't want to see a heavy weight at all.

After that I'm going to increase squat frequency to twice a week. I want to get a good rack pull session in and see where I can get to with that. Need to keep working on some single leg stuff, and hammer the core. Gain a little mass and work on a 160 paused bench.

Off the floor power needs to be improved for deadlifts, at the top end I'm lacking and I'm hip raising more and more.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Going to do Steedies bro workout tonight, with a few changes to suit my gym.

Bench Press - 12, 12, 8, 8, 8
Incline Pause Press - 10, 10, 10, 6 second negs to failure
Cable Flys (superset with dips) - 12 (15), 8 (12), 8 (12)
Cable Pushdowns - 15, 15, 8, 8
Overhead Extensions - 12, 12, 12
Rope Pulldowns (cable kick backs) - 8 (10), 8 (10), 8 (10)
Hammer Curls - 8, 8, 8
21s x3
Straight Bar Pyramid - 15/15/15 x3

You doing the 6 sec neg on every rep or just the last set?

Man of Honour
Yeah bro, last night :mad:

Those guys kept coming to talk to you, and that guy joining in at the end. 30 second rests to 30 minute rests :mad:

Wednesday and Friday, I'm not training with you, I'm doing my sessions tonight and Thursday, so I'll be there to make sure you're sticking to your damn 30 second rests

Associate
I also, for some reason, have more DOMS in my legs :confused:

Maybe it's true, maybe you don't need to train your legs, chest and arms does them enough :p

Man of Honour
Yeah bro, last night :mad:

Those guys kept coming to talk to you, and that guy joining in at the end. 30 second rests to 30 minute rests :mad:

Wednesday and Friday, I'm not training with you, I'm doing my sessions tonight and Thursday, so I'll be there to make sure you're sticking to your damn 30 second rests
Sorry coach/hypertrophy consultant :(

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Steedie, that workout was pure cardio and burn. Very nice :cool: 21s with 30 second rest are hateful!

Feel really good after that. It's so much less taxing on the body than heavy ass weights.

Back
Top Bottom