Lifting straps

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Hi
been making great progress on my deadlifts and barbell shrugs but recently ive been having some trouble

the problem is not the weight but rather the barbels causing a lot of pain to my hands and fingers and im unable to complete my sets
i asked of the assistant and he recommends i get something called a lifting strap
will this help me or is he just trying to sell me something

thanks

lifting straps are good when used at the right time.
naturally your back is stronger than your grip and your forearms, therefore its likely that you will have to stop reps due to tiredness in your hands and arms, rather than back.
use of some straps on your last set or 2 is not a bad thing, it will allow you to do a couple more reps than no straps.

just dont get into the habit of using them for all sets and reps.

oh, i use them on any pulling move that i feel my arms tiring before my back.

I'm with Morba on this one, I believe lifting straps have their place in the gym. When it reaches a stage when your grip is limiting how you train the bodypart you are targeting, then use straps. Push yourself to grip without them each time rather than using them though.

thanks for all the replies
i have 1 more question

i would like to do squats with a standard barbell instead of using the squat machine but the bar is too uncomfortable on my back

would this item help
http://www.goldsfitnessequipment.co.uk/support-wraps-and-straps/golds-gym-barbell-pad.html
or is there a certain place i can place the barbell so it doesn't hurt so much
I've seen other guys do heavy squats with the standard bar so i guess its possible

also Chong Warrior is your first name Trevor :)

thanks

ive seen different people use different things as pads, from sponge blocks to towels wrapped around.

you can do 1 of 2 things really, try some cushioning methods or just get used to it, once your traps get bigger and your rear delts start to grow, you will slowly create your own padding.

i think JJB stock golds gym equipment, it might be worth finding a local one and seeing just how padded that barbell pad is before you buy it online :]

MTA99 said:
I've got straps and chalk. With chalk you'll be able to get the max outta your grip before you have to reach for the straps.

thats a good point :]
i still need to invest in some chalk, but then its going to be a few weeks before i need it, so no rush to buy :/

Sem said:
would this item help
http://www.goldsfitnessequipment.co.uk/support-wraps-and-straps/golds-gym-barbell-pad.html
or is there a certain place i can place the barbell so it doesn't hurt so much
I've seen other guys do heavy squats with the standard bar so i guess its possible

My training buddy has to use one of these but i find it allows the bar too much movement on my back and it puts me off. In fact we had a moment on monday with 180kgs "moving"!! :eek:

I was gonna try and explain where I put the bar but since a picture tells a thousand words.......behold, the MTA99 guide to bar positioning!! :D

MTA99Squat.jpg

The red line is where i see a lot of people putting the bar, at the base of their neck, on top of the shoulders.

The blue line is where its much more comfortable, well away from the neck and on the rear part of the shoulders.

Hope that helps :rolleyes: ;)

Pretty tired at the moment so probably gonna say a few things wrong.

For wrist/knee wraps, there are two big names, Inzer and Titan, Nothing wrong in getting some, had a bit of a problem getting them for a decent price recently though, seems america is the way to go, I'm sure theres nothing wrong with the suggestions given
MTA99's correct position for squatting is awesome, put it on your rear delt, will probably take a while to find the groove.
Wouldn't bother with the pad, never used one or anything, just seems a bit girly to me :p

Heaven Can Wait said:
MTA99's correct position for squatting is awesome, put it on your rear delt, will probably take a while to find the groove.
Wouldn't bother with the pad, never used one or anything, just seems a bit girly to me :p

There is literally a groove across the rear of the shoulder........its not HCW trying to "hip" or "cool" man! :cool:

I'll get a pic on monday after squats, you can see the line of the bar in the chalk on my shoulders :D

Chong Warrior said:
I find the more weight you use when squatting you're almost forced to put the bar onto the rear delts for better balance ;)

No mate, funny you ask though.

there's a guy at my gym called Trevor Chong
hes a championship contender and you seem to know you stuff

i know your location says Manchester but since you have spurs in your sig i thought you might have moved to north london or something so i guess it "could" have been you

nm tho :)

Back
Top Bottom