Light Sleepers

Soldato
Any other very light sleepers on here? A fly can fart and it wakes me up so I was wondering if others would mind sharing their tips.

I've just started using earplugs and that seems to be helping a load, but I've slept through my alarm a few times!!! :eek: Are there any washable/reusable types people can recommend as it doesn't seem very environmentally friendly throwing a pair away each day.

I've also found that making sure the temperature is about 14*C or less in the evenings helps me sleep better. This usually involves an open window which means noise though (hence earplugs) unless it's this sort of time of year so I can turn the heating off.

Soldato
I don't sleep! Sleep is for the weak! lol

I nap... I can't remember the last time I had more than 6 hours solid sleep without the use of drugs or alcohol. TBH honest it suites my life style well as long as I can stay up at the required hours like the 8 hours for work.. and worrying about not sleeping makes it worst, To be fair, I don't think work would mind if I took a snooze at lunch time as I work flexi time anyway.

Soldato
OP
I've found the only guaranteed way of getting a solid night's sleep is a sports massage. I have one of those every month and the following 2 or 3 nights are bliss. :)

Cheers, will take a look at the wax plugs - do they not lose their adhesive qualities (or whatever it is that holds them in place) over time? Or don't they work that way?

Man of Honour
I've found the only guaranteed way of getting a solid night's sleep is a sports massage. I have one of those every month and the following 2 or 3 nights are bliss. :)

Cheers, will take a look at the wax plugs - do they not lose their adhesive qualities (or whatever it is that holds them in place) over time? Or don't they work that way?

They don't work that way you soften them up in your hand and them mould them to your ear, I've never slept in them but I've used them for 12+ hours at work and there's no way they're coming out unless you want them to.

Associate
Might sound a bit crazy but have you tried putting a fan next to your bed? Doesn't have to even be blowing on you but its the constant white noise that does it, I am a light sleeper and can only sleep with the fan on, if its cold I use a fan noise app on my ipad.

Before the fan it would take me well over an hour to sleep but now I am off within 10 minute's.

Soldato
OP
Might sound a bit crazy but have you tried putting a fan next to your bed? Doesn't have to even be blowing on you but its the constant white noise that does it, I am a light sleeper and can only sleep with the fan on, if its cold I use a fan noise app on my ipad.

Before the fan it would take me well over an hour to sleep but now I am off within 10 minute's.

I did try white noise/rain/storm sound loops at one point but while they helped send me off, I was still waking up regularly. Might try it again, though.

I'm just getting to the point where I feel knackered almost every day and don't want to get out of bed when the alarm goes off. :(

Caporegime
I use ear plugs when I'm struggling, windy nights, heavy rain etc. I re-use them and never had a problem. I don't have hardly any wax at all in my ears so they don't get dirty for a long while.

I find it very hard to drop off without background noise. Where I live is near silent and I hear everything. I wish I'd bought a house on the highstreet. I run the same routine every night. BBC3 family guy on 20 minute timer to turn the tv off. Sends me off every time as the episode is repeated about 10 times per week.

Soldato
I use the disposable earplugs for months at a time, never had a problem.

I can't sleep without them in though. Oh, and get a louder alarm if you're sleeping through it.

Oh and learn how to put in earplugs, roll them into a small cylinder, lift the ear and put them in. Don't just shove them in and hope for the best.

Soldato
My dad has some reusable ones that I think have been made especially for him. I think they're so that he can't hear himself snoring.

When I get home I'll try and remember to take a look at where they're from.

Associate
Funny this post crops up today, I have struggled with being a light sleeper for ages and the sudden appearance of a cockerel next door blaring away at 5am and my missus snoring and teeth grinding forced me to invest in some ear plugs, and last nite was the first nite I used them.

Best nites sleep Ive had in ages, until one of them fell out and woke me up!

Just brought some blue squeezable things from amazon, although may try the rubber moulded ones.

Soldato
Alpine sleepsoft ear plugs, one pair per month £12 from livingiseasy.co.uk

They are very good, supposedly tuned to let high oitched sounds such as alarms, kids crying etc still be heard. Kept me sane when i lived next to a trainline

Back
Top Bottom