Lightroom alternative...

Soldato
I currently have an Adobe subscription FOC but wish to get away from it before I delve too deep into it.

I think I'll stick to my suggestion in this thread and go with Luminar.

I'm using the 7 day trial to test and so far I am impressed with its features and intuitiveness.

Soldato
I think I'll stick to my suggestion in this thread and go with Luminar.

I'm using the 7 day trial to test and so far I am impressed with its features and intuitiveness.

I have it. Started with Luminar 2018 which was fantastic, then they upgraded it all to Luminar 3 and it all went wrong for me. Kept on crashing, the DAM took ages to load, loads of issues. I have since uninstalled it and gone back to Luminar 2018. The only difference between Luminar 2018 and 3 is the DAM. Check their forums, this was a MAJOR issue!

As far as I can tell, Luminar 3 is okay if you have the latest and greatest PC, if you don't... beware!

Soldato
As far as I can tell, Luminar 3 is okay if you have the latest and greatest PC, if you don't... beware!

Hmmmm, going to make the most of the trial and run tests before purchasing. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm on an i7 2600k with 8GB DDR3 running on an SSD which is far from latest and greatest but so far have not experienced any issues.

Soldato
Luminar 3 is okay if you have the latest and greatest PC, if you don't... beware!

I just ran tests now and can see that this is indeed the case, Luminar eats into my RAM and then when I am editing my images it takes 5-7 seconds for any changes made to be visible.

I also managed to get Lightroom up and running again. Going to stick to LR for now since I am getting it free from work.

Caporegime
My CC subscription is just ending and looking at alternatives.

Going to try keeping LR as my photo manager as that still works without a license.

Trying Darktable first. Completely free and modelled on LR. Anyone else tried it?

Like the look of Aperture Photo too, under £50 for a perpetual license.

Soldato
Just installed Luminar 3 with a £10 discount voucher which made it £55. My needs are fairly simple as far as PP goes and it pretty much duplicates what LR does for me plus some interesting extras, the interface is similar too which pleases me. Works with my Silver Efex Pro plugin for monochrome conversion which makes me even happier.
File saving can be quite slow but then I am saving 32 MB + files.
Time to bin the subscription.

Soldato
After 10 days of frustration I've gone back to the Adobe CC plan.
I tried 2 applications, the Luminar 3 I mentioned earlier seemed fine to begin with although saving an image was a bit slower than LR but gradually became slower and slower in exporting. Also my Nik Software plugins, specifically Silver Efex opened easily in Luminar but quite suddenly stopped doing it.
I tried another application, ACDsee which was slower in other areas but the main problem was that clone stamping was missing in the Mac version but present in the PC version. I tried it on my games PC which I didn't really want to use for anything else but the image rendering was horrible in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom