Lightroom / Casual Gaming - £2k

Soldato
@orbitalwalsh

I've decided, I think I'm going with my original plan instead of pushing the budget and going for a 2080.

I was looking at a different card to the founders 2060, would you agree this is a better card for £20 more?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £349.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

better cooler, Gigabyte UK RMA and rep support on here

good price for the triple fan version !

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Thanks, pulled the trigger. Stuff will be here on Monday.

Went with the original spec in the OP except for the Gigabyte 2060 OC, Kraken X62 and went for the Corsair SF750 which was on offer for £125, and is apparently one of the best SFX power supplies.

£2000 all in and I have a great all round machine. For the occasional games the 2060 should be more than capable at 1440/60hz for the next few years.

It's going to be an interesting build fitting the X62 and the 280mm GPU into the case.

@orbitalwalsh do you think I'll need a fan splitter? Asrock board has:

- 1 x CPU Fan Connector (4-pin)
- 1 x CPU/Water Pump Fan Connector (4-pin) (Smart Fan Speed Control)
- 1 x Chassis Fan Connector (4-pin)

There are 4 fans in total (2 on AIO and 2 for exhaust) and the pump.

Soldato
should be fine, I only Aorus and Asus boards im afraid due to RMA (asus distribution is quite a bit different to retail, and gigabyte being uk)

whats case is it again ?

Soldato
might want to set a more aggressive front /cpu fan profile as if the CPU isn't working hard/getting hot that GPU will work up some heat at 1440p gaming so will want good airflow to it :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
might want to set a more aggressive front /cpu fan profile as if the CPU isn't working hard/getting hot that GPU will work up some heat at 1440p gaming so will want good airflow to it :)

Yea that's what I'm thinking. So a fan splitter on the CPU fan header for the 2 intakes on AIO. I'll set a custom curve for gaming, as you say the CPU won't be that hot in games but the GPU will still need good air in.

The 2 exhaust fans can split off the chassis fan header.

Soldato
Yea that's what I'm thinking. So a fan splitter on the CPU fan header for the 2 intakes on AIO. I'll set a custom curve for gaming, as you say the CPU won't be that hot in games but the GPU will still need good air in.

The 2 exhaust fans can split off the chassis fan header.

:)

remember ASrock ITX is single M.2 rather then 2 of others in the future :)

Soldato
if you put fans in Pull, you'll have more flow into the case. dont need High static pressure when fans are in Pull on-fig. when in push or like video danny posted, need high static to get through the High Fin Per Inch rad and then airflow is cut down . also have less snag with the tubing (learnt push pull from alphacool long ago )

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
if you put fans in Pull, you'll have more flow into the case. dont need High static pressure when fans are in Pull on-fig. when in push or like video danny posted, need high static to get through the High Fin Per Inch rad and then airflow is cut down . also have less snag with the tubing (learnt push pull from alphacool long ago )

I'll have a play around, but all the builds I've seen they have used push. I wonder if there is a clearance issue with the fans being in pull.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
@orbitalwalsh

There’s a chance of a RAM clearance issue with the Kraken’s CPU block I think. I could rotate the block but then the logo would be rotated as well. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Edit:

Couple of options I can see. First is to flip the block as mentioned. I’m not keen on this, the logo being upside down would look rubbish. Another potential option is to get Corsair LPX and see if that is lower enough to sit under the elbow bend of the X62.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Build is progressing well. Everything in except the PSU which should be here later today. Rotated the CPU Block, no chance of it fitting next to this RAM. GPU fit fine. I can't install the fans in pull config, they need to be on the other side of the rad to offset it enough to clear the IO cables at the top.

So just need to get the PSU in and connect up all the various fans and IO.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
Typing from the new PC. Couple things I need to change on the build:

1. The 24-pin PSU cable was too short, so currently using a white extension which I need to change for a black one.
2. The 2 included fans are 3-pin, so need to replace these with PWM. Currently the are spinning way too fast for desktop use. I'm thinking of picking up either some Noctua Redux or Be Quiet silent wings. Any suggestions? 120mm PWM.
3. Connected via HDMI, I presume DP is better?

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't think you can go wrong with either.

This one is very fancy (and expensive):

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nf-a12x25-5v-pwm-fan-120mm-fg-06z-nc.html

Runs on only 5v at full whack and I'd call it a quiet fan even at 1,900 RPM. You can hear it in the following vid but it's so quiet for that speed and the distance it was measured. The stock Corsair fans on some cases/coolers are way louder at 1000 RPM lol.

Do not purchase if you hate using molex connectors though. Stick with normal 12v PWM plugged into mobo.

If you don't mind cheaper than Noctua/BeQuiet, the new Arctic P12 are getting good user reviews.

Back
Top Bottom