Lightweight Cheap Wheels that look Decent?

Reducing unsprung weight makes enough difference that FIAT milled out a ~150g chunk of metal in the suspension on each side of every one of over 7 million 176 Puntos, and similar on every other cheap car they have ever made.

But, I think the difference you will notice for road use, vs the cost of the wheels is too much. Keep the money, and buy a better car sooner.

Reducing unsprung weight makes enough difference that FIAT milled out a ~150g chunk of metal in the suspension on each side of every one of over 7 million 176 Puntos, and similar on every other cheap car they have ever made.

But, I think the difference you will notice for road use, vs the cost of the wheels is too much. Keep the money, and buy a better car sooner.

I mean in terms of accelleration, and I'm assuming it actually takes into account the "rotational" weight? not just the unsprung weight as the brake caliper etc has no effect on acceleration surely?

My OZ's, light but a bugger to keep clean and follow tram lines like, well a tram :D

IMG_4722.jpg

I mean in terms of accelleration, and I'm assuming it actually takes into account the "rotational" weight? not just the unsprung weight as the brake caliper etc has no effect on acceleration surely?

Well, a point on the outside of the wheel has at any instant, a velocity relative that of an equivalent static wheel, identical to the forward velocity of the car.

So removing 1kg from the outer surface of the tire is like removing 2kg from the car. But removing 1kg from the exact center of the wheel (impossible as it would be a point mass) is the same as removing 1kg from the car. Removing mass from other points on the wheel follows a liner scale, *I think*.

So wight removed from the wheel is as good as 1.5 times (ball park) that weight removed from the car, as far as acceleration is concerned when you have enough grip to use all the power.

But the grip on uneven surfaces is improved.

Last edited:
CIMG6462copy.jpg

Best i could do, the shadows are all wrong but i think you get the idea. I have to say, im not a fan compared to the ones you have already.
Makes it look like a fiesta

Last edited:
CIMG6462copy.jpg

Best i could do, the shadows are all wrong but i think you get the idea. I have to say, im not a fan compared to the ones you have already.
Makes it look like a fiesta

Thanks for the effort mate,

The current wheels are called "ACE 112" got them from wheelbase about a year ago and had them powder coated white.

Well, a point on the outside of the wheel has at any instant, a velocity relative that of an equivalent static wheel, identical to the forward velocity of the car.

So removing 1kg from the outer surface of the tire is like removing 2kg from the car. But removing 1kg from the exact center of the wheel (impossible as it would be a point mass) is the same as removing 1kg from the car. Removing mass from other points on the wheel follows a liner scale, *I think*.

So wight removed from the wheel is as good as 1.5 times (ball park) that weight removed from the car, as far as acceleration is concerned when you have enough grip to use all the power.

But the grip on uneven surfaces is improved.

Thats very interesting thanks biggles, so a 16 inch wheels if weighs the same as a 15 inch wheel will slow the car down more?

Thats very interesting thanks biggles, so a 16 inch wheels if weighs the same as a 15 inch wheel will slow the car down more?

No, because the outer edge of the wheel will still only go as fast around as the car does forwards. It will however reduce frtcion in the wheel bearing.

Unless you mean a larger wheel with the same final diameter tyre, where the wheel has more mass per volume than the tyre, then yes, it will slow acceleration, a bit.

Last edited:
No, because the outer edge of the wheel will still only go as fast around as the car does forwards. It will however reduce frtcion in the wheel bearing.

Unless you mean a larger wheel with the same final diameter tyre, where the wheel has more mass per volume than the tyre, then yes, it will slow acceleration, a bit.

Yeah thats what I mean, I would want to keep the speedo accurate

Rubber is heavy too in the real world, I think the benefits of low profile outweigh the benefit to acceleration, if there even is one.

So we have put aside the idea that unsprung (or wheel weight) affects acceleration at a ratio of 8:1 when compared to sprung weight?

Although I must say the difference when I fitted my old 14inch wheels was quite notable in acceleration especially

Back
Top Bottom