Linus Tech tips

Associate
I still watch the wan show every week, some of the videos now don't interest me but there's so many its not a problem at all. we've had component shortages for a few years now so its understandable they make a lot of other content now to stay relevant. I haven't bothered looking at graphics cards or any upgrades really for ages now, the pc space will be a bit rubbish until things are bit more affordable.

Associate
wan show used to be good when they stayed on topic, now its buy this LTT merch and that b0llx, was better when they were filming in the house. Now its all about sponsors and ads.

Soldato
I use to subscribe to him many years back. But realised he added no value to me. His content is very weak just like that idiot Jay.

Just thought I’d watch a couple of his videos.

He is like a caricature of himself now and hugely irritating to listen to over emphasise and stress words like a school boy thinking it’s cool.

Kudos to both on success though. Clearly lots of people like them.

Soldato
After years of being subscribed I'm starting to get really annoyed with Linus himself purely down to him heavily leaning into the "clumsy oaf" persona which started with his apparently genuine "I dropped this" stuff but has now morphed into "hey let's see how badly I can bodge/break this $100k server" type stuff as he point blank refuses to to treat expensive items with respect as he yanks on cables, pulls on components etc and then 7mins into the video is complaining that the item doesn't work.

I don't mind the expansion of the video range which now covers consumer, pro-sumer and business, or the expansion into home IT, its purely down to Linus himself and it feels like that same stye of presenting is starting to effect the more "professional" guys like Antony and Alex now. LTT always had a cast of "wacky" folks to cover that end of the spectrum so it's a shame to see that diversity of ability slowly being ditched into a singular "one of us....." style of presenting, but I suppose that what the YT Algorithm wants now.

I wrote the above quoted post 2 years ago and, since all the "dirt" came out about the general level of employee abuse there amongst the staff (bullying, harassment etc) about 9 months ago, I don't think I've watched another one of his videos on any channel they own. As far as I'm concerned every LTT channel is a dead channel to me and its all on Linus himself, his lack of workplace professionalism (which enabled the abuse by other staff) and his attitude, which as mentioned above sadly seems to have rubbed off on his staff both infront of and behind the camera.

I was hoping that hiring the new "actually a professional" CEO about the same time would've helped, and maybe it has behind closed doors, but the level of deliberate "stupidity for clicks whilst deliberately damaging equipment" in their videos hasn't improved, and its a shame because the videos "back in the day" were really good.

I know GN got a lot of fanboi hate for "exposing" LTT but I also dsee the vast difference between the quality of what each is still outputting, with GN being held as a beacon for holding global companies accountable for their errors/behaviour (EKWB being the latest exposé) and making international news whilst doing so (even if I find their content a little dry), and then there's LTT, breaking stuff for clicks like Whistlin Diesel of the IT world.

Soldato
LTT is largely a tech themed entertainment channel.

It’s not there to deliver you graph after graph from 17 games across 9 GPUs every time one launches.

It doesn’t matter how well you dress it up, the latter IS boring in video format but the written word on the internet is a dead model these days. Whether you find LTT entertaining or not is entirely subjective and down to your own personal taste.

I guess what I am trying to say is that they both cater to different audiences. GN is always going to hit a ceiling because there are only so many real nerds out there. LTT caters to the YouTube audience which is far broader and less interested in in-deph analysis and would prefer to be entertained for 20 mins, hence all the penis and 69 jokes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can somebody update me on the workplace culture stuff, wasn't aware of that.

A timeline of the "events" by Forbes - All alleged by at least 3 members of staff but mostly 1, nothing reported to authorities etc so effectively a "he said, she said" affair with limited back-up of each others stories but it wouldn't surprise me that, in a company of IT/Tech Nerds, "normal social behaviours" may not have been common place.

Last edited:
Commissario
I used to get recommended LTT videos on YouTube every single day and I did watch some of them.
Seeing this thread bumped has made me realise that I’ve not seen a single video from LTT in my recommendations for absolutely months. I think they just stopped dead one day. No idea why.

Soldato
Don't think I've seen any of their videos, just looking at their uploads by views and the majority is PC building stuff which is quite frankly a little boring, considering components these days have notches and slots that make it impossible to install things the wrong way round.

I think the only video that I'd actually find interesting is the how many chrome tabs can we open with 2TB of ram.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
When it descended into his lash up of a house project where he's basically choking on himself flaunting everything and getting his employees to work on it I switched off to their content. The HR issues told me I needed to bin off LTT full stop; apologies every week "we're a business, we're sorry, also here's an advert". Just crass. It actually inspired me to have a cleans of my YouTube subscriptions as I tend to tick off videos like they're email notifications (I can't leave things unread!) becasue I was just procrastinating at life.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Some of the topics and titles are very click bait at this point, I still check it every now and then but yeah need something direct and straight to the point not what we have atm.

Soldato
I used to get recommended LTT videos on YouTube every single day and I did watch some of them.
Seeing this thread bumped has made me realise that I’ve not seen a single video from LTT in my recommendations for absolutely months. I think they just stopped dead one day. No idea why.
For me the change happened when they stopped uploading everyday after the controversy.

He's a proven fraud, basically a low level actor.
Proven fraud? What fraud?

Back
Top Bottom