Linus Tech tips

Soldato
I used to watch some of his stuff. I think he peaked when he'd sort of made it into a business of geeky lads but it was still quite small. The stuff they did then was more fun as they were kind of not the best organised and it was hectic. This shone through on videos and it seemed more like....kind of..."genuine" content? Not sure. Hard to explain.
Strangely, I've also stopped watching about a year or so ago. I think it's a combination of factors. I don't hate on Linus like some. In fact, I think he deserves a little more credit and some of the witch hunts have been OTT in the past. All that being said, quite frankly the tech channels like these are a dying breed I feel. Kind of sad...but it's just the way things are going due to various factors.

Soldato
LTT is largely a tech themed entertainment channel.

It’s not there to deliver you graph after graph from 17 games across 9 GPUs every time one launches.
They have just spent a staggering amount of money on their new Labs building, equipment, team etc though with the intention of providing exactly that. I think they realised they drifted too far from what the tech enthusiasts want and were getting from other channels, as well as the repeated errors whenever they did do benchmarks and technical testing.

Soldato
I used to get recommended LTT videos on YouTube every single day and I did watch some of them.
Seeing this thread bumped has made me realise that I’ve not seen a single video from LTT in my recommendations for absolutely months. I think they just stopped dead one day. No idea why.

Same here, haven't watched one of their videos for absolute yonks, and have no further interest in doing so.

Soldato
They have just spent a staggering amount of money on their new Labs building, equipment, team etc though with the intention of providing exactly that. I think they realised they drifted too far from what the tech enthusiasts want and were getting from other channels, as well as the repeated errors whenever they did do benchmarks and technical testing.
I know but you aren't going to see that content turn up GN style in a video on the LTT channel - people that watch it just don't care for that level of detail and at most you'll get a high level summary and a signpost to where the rest of the data/testing results are - probably a website or an AI generated video on another channel.

Soldato
He must be down in subscribers no? Especially since last summer when all that stuff kicked off. Wonder what the stats say.

Caporegime
He must be down in subscribers no? Especially since last summer when all that stuff kicked off. Wonder what the stats say.

No idea but subs and clicks are only part of his revenue. Which is why his company has so many fingers in so many pies. I think YouTube ads only amount to like 1/3rd of his revenue according to an old video before the bad press. His merch stuff, sponsors in almost every video and ad reads makes much more than YouTube adsense.

He also has more channels that most realises, there is the Tech Linked, Game Linked, Mac Address, Tech Quickie, LMG Clips, LMG Superfun, Short Circuits and their FloatPlane platform.

Soldato
Say what you want about him but he built up from seemingly nothing much. He was a geeky guy working in a PC store then youtube took off for him. It's happened to a great deal of highly successful youtubers. His channel/s won't be helped surely by the declining PC and PC Gaming market I would think? I say that based on absolutely nothing. I'm just guessing it's in decline. Feels like it is. PC and PC hardware sales must be down loads?

Caporegime
Say what you want about him but he built up from seemingly nothing much. He was a geeky guy working in a PC store then youtube took off for him. It's happened to a great deal of highly successful youtubers. His channel/s won't be helped surely by the declining PC and PC Gaming market I would think? I say that based on absolutely nothing. I'm just guessing it's in decline. Feels like it is. PC and PC hardware sales must be down loads?

Which is why his channels are more tech base than just about PC. I just watched a video where he "upgraded" one of his staff's old Honda Civic. All done by his own staff and himself. Oh yes, they have done car reviews too in the past couple of years.

Soldato
Which is why his channels are more tech base than just about PC. I just watched a video where he "upgraded" one of his staff's old Honda Civic. All done by his own staff and himself. Oh yes, they have done car reviews too in the past couple of years.

True. They do. He's done things on lighting in his house, to all sorts of stuff.

Associate
Not financial fraud just the persona

What on earth are you even talking about? A fraud and an actor?

I was only a casual viewer of the channel's stuff, and to be honest I've barely watched at all since the recent controversies, so I'm not a fanboy at all, but what has he ever done other than just come off as some tech enthusiast? He's clearly been exposed to a lot of different technologies over the years, so sometimes he does some more advanced stuff like networking or whatever that the typical layman wouldn't be able to, but it's not like he goes around claiming he's an expert at everything.

Playing up the bumbling, clumsy oaf, fine whatever, maybe he plays it up a bit, maybe some people are just geniunely clumsy. It's not exactly a rare trait to have. Calling someone a fraud and a low level actor just because he drops things on occasion is a bit dramatic.

Soldato
Playing up the bumbling, clumsy oaf, fine whatever, maybe he plays it up a bit, maybe some people are just genuinely clumsy.

A bit..............A BIT............................

lXoMeZi.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........................breathe.......................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As a very savvy person, he saw the uptick in views when he did initially drop the first few things, and then in the chase for views (and money) that clumsiness became as scripted as Top Gear's "accidents". They were never done in every video because that would be obvious, but usually once a week and then that "scripted accident" became a staple in most LTT videos, even if Linus wasn't in them.

It also made people who at least seemed to try and be professional at the start of their LTT video career (Antony, Jake & Alex etc) end up looking like idiots too often when one of the scripted "fails" happened, which anyone with a room temperature IQ could see coming a mile away as they were that obvious.

Soldato
Shock horror scripted YouTube videos are scripted.

Shock horror, social media personality has an on camera persona and a normal persona which may not be the same.

The only good one on the channel was Anthony.
Was? They are still there, they go by the name Emily now which is potentially why you may have missed it. They were in a video uploaded 9 days ago, blink and you'll miss it mind.

Looking at the above video as an example, outside the clickbait title of the above video, I'm not entirely sure what's wrong with it.

Ultimately the titles and thumbnails are just playing the YouTube 'algorithm' game and by 'algorithm' I mean the fickle YouTube userbase. Its got nothing to do with the 'algorithm' and everything to do with getting people to click the video...

Soldato
I don't think they hosted a video since transitioning which I totally get, the internet is a vile place. Usually its just a quick cameo in the videos they contribute to.

Back
Top Bottom