• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Liquid Metal is eating my GPU LOL!

Soldato
why would i be using Qtips(cotton buds for pooley), if not to spread it.
your tried too hard to make a funny.

FACEPALM

You do understand many in here are not living in Yorkshire or in the same island?
Also GN video uses twice as much liquid metal than is needed for a completely different appliance.

bru

bru

Soldato
FACEPALM
You didn't read the instructions. That is not the way liquid metal is applied.
And you will not find ANYWHERE ANYONE advising that method for liquid metal

You sure about that. ;)

www.thermal-grizzly.com/images/downloads/TG_Conductonaut_ShortApplicationGuide_EN.pdf

2. Applying Conductonaut thermal grease Mount the included tip to the syringe (Figure 1). Apply a pinheadsized amount on both, CPU and cooler (Figure 2). Spread the thermal grease on both surfaces with the included cotton swabs. An increased contact pressure of the cotton swab might ease the application. Now mount the cooler.

bru

bru

Soldato
He said used a blob and qtips how should I know what qtip is? swabs or cotton buds would be easier to understand.

So you are trying to say that you went with a giant red FACEPALM and stated that you will not find ANYONE ANYWHERE (ftfy) advising that method for liquid metal. with out even knowing what he was talking about.

DONT BELIEVE A WORD OF IT.

Soldato
FrayedUnequaledGnat-max-1mb.gif

Man of Honour
People are too obsessed with temps.

Better to run a couple of degrees hotter than use extreme options like the one in the OP.

What I find amusing - I've seen a fair few instances where people extol the merits of LM but persist in ignoring the application notes for regular paste - in my experience there has been little to no reason to use LM with normal air or water cooling if you apply a good paste properly. In more extreme cooling setups another matter.

I mean for instance - I'm using a moderately overclocked 4820K with quite a bit of extra voltage as it isn't a great clocker (does get high frequencies stable but needs a ton of voltage) all core boost to 4.4GHz (1.26v) with a passive Zalman FX70 - under normal use load temperatures don't go over 49C (a bit higher admittedly for Prime hah).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I believe that LM can't be used below a certain temperature, for some reason around 5°C rings a bell.

A lot of the extreme clockers use thermal paste below sub-zero - though even that struggles once you get to around -100 IIRC.

You don't normally get to 5C or below at the CPU with more extreme setups til you go like LN anyhow.

EDIT: TG stuff is rated for best results above 8C - doesn't mean you can't use it below that but it doesn't work as well.

Back
Top Bottom