Liverpool Takeover Thread

Caporegime
At the request in the transfer thread, this is the thread to discuss all the latest twist and turns of the on-going saga of the sale of Liverpool FC.

I don't think I can take much more press speculation about who will/wont buy us.

Associate
I don't follow the soccer personally and am not having a go at the OP - but does it matter who owns a team so long as they have the cash to pay the players/manager etc?

I never understand why there's always so much hoo-ha in the news whenever anyone's buying or selling a team?

Associate
There is a radio silence going on at the moment with Huang and the board (not sure about the other bids) so we won't get any news about what is happening until it's either a done deal or LFC make a statement.

Associate
Atticus don't be coming up in here using the S-word FOOL! :D
edit: oh stumble bum beat me to it :) lol

It looks likely that a sale will happen this summer, and supposedly 6 parties made bids last week, and we know the identities of three of them as I understand it:

Chinese Governmental Consortium led by Kenny Huang
Rhone Capital, a New York based Investment Company
The Al-Kharifi family, Kuwaiti Billionaires and friends of Hicks & Gillett

I still get the impression that the current owners (particularly Hicks) significantly overvalue the club - previous speculation has suggested they were after £750m-£800 but they are no longer in a position to hold out for such a figure. As Baz has said, RBS have forced them to alter the composition of the board, so that Hicks & Gillett might be outvoted if a reasonable deal is on the table but Hicks/Gillett decide they want more money. If anyone's got an article on that, I'd be interested to have a link. Couldn't find anything on my beloved beeb about it :)

Because I love a good conspiracy theory, I think the Al-Kharifis are in there as a shill, to try and drive the price up, after all Hicks & Gillett are running out of bargaining positions with RBS breathing down their necks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally think it's terrible that the Chinese government are doing this when there are so many poor people in their own country, what does this say to them :s? We don't care, we'd rather pay some footballers £100k a week than help you

Back
Top Bottom