Local Rivalry

Soldato
BrenOS said:
I assume you're a geordie and have lived here all your life? If you had to move to *gasp* London with a brilliant job opportunity, your loyalties wouldn't change.
But it's more a sense of where you were brought up though, which is what I often wonder about fans who end up supporting a team not near them, whether they stick with them or not. Vandle is a geordie, and is kind of part of what being a Newcastle supporter is all about, same as being a scouser, or a mancunian, or a londoner. As I said in a thread a while back, part of what Arsenal is to me is being a Londoner, and that area of London in particular (Islington and thereabouts), because that's where I've lived most of my life, and that's where I'll always feel my home is. I'm not saying you can't be the most die-hard fan just because you support a club away from you, but I do wonder whether it feels like you're missing something because you're not actually a londoner/scouser/manc, or whether you don't even notice it.

Soldato
2. To the fans of Arsenal / Spurs , Everton / Liverpool , United / Citeh , etc.
You play a lot of "derbys" in a league season - particular London and Lancashire clubs.
Do you feel this gives you a disadvantage or an edge?

It's a disadvantage when you're doing well. Look at Spurs' last game against West Ham. If that had been against a similarly ranked club who weren't from London, I think we might have won. West Ham supporters seem to hate Spurs (because we nick all of their best players? :p) and you could tell that victory meant a lot to them.

Do you HATE your rivals ?
I respect Henry's brilliance, but Wenger is a whining female genitalia. As for the fans, you've just got to looked at the likes of Osama Bin Laden to see what happens when you support Arsenal for too long. ;)

In the teams I gave above there is currently a supremely dominant side in each city.
I don't think there is a dominant side in North London any more. Just look at the Highbury derby or how many points seperated the two teams - there's hardly anything between the two sides. But for a freak incident, the two clubs could have been in reverve order.

Do you think regional pride still has a place in the modern game or is this being eroded away as much as anything else nowadays?
I think there's still local pride and I think it's what makes football the game it is. Nothing beats the atmosphere of derby day.

Soldato
I think the derby between liverpool and everton is quite friendly compared to most, i still hate them but not as much as our friends from old trafford :)

Im hoping everton get relegated this year, sorry davey :D

Soldato
Vandle said:
Right , this is something Ive been thinking about for a while and tonight made me post it.

I was listening to the local phone in on century fm , Supermac , Eric Gates and Bernie Slaven.
Named , with artistic license , The 3 Legends.

artistic license? the 3 are pretty much club legends

Back
Top Bottom