Locksmith question

Soldato
Does £1456 sound too much for replacing a lock that had a front door key snapped in it? I think my elderly father was scammed.

PXL-20240319-120258162-2.jpg[img]

Last edited:
Caporegime
seems like a scam to me, aren't doorlocks like 50 quid or something?

389 to remove? was he on about 1200 quid an hour?

you can buy a whole new front door for 1400?

this site suggests you can get a basic upvc door fitted for under 2k
UMcbQtG.jpeg

Maybe when you buy a new door they don't come with what seems to be 800 quid worth of locking mechanism though :eek:

what is it a retinal scanner? dna tester?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looks like he got rinsed to me, but I only know the price as per it has been done at work - emergency call out fee £80-150 isn't abnormal but labour more like half that and replacing the lock usually sub £200, maybe another £100-200 if it needs additional work fitting/adjusting.

Don
seems like a scam to me, aren't doorlocks like 50 quid or something?
Pretty much... £52 for a 3 Star Rated Euro Cylinder

I think a lot of it is going to depend on the circumstances - if he's locked out and entry was done destructively then a new multipoint lock mechanism may well have been needed.
(But then again you'd hope for £389 "Labour to open the door" it would have been non-destructive!)

Edit:
Appreciate it was different (I'm not in London for a start!), but I got a locksmith out last year to replace a gearbox (non-urgent so no callout charge etc), and it was £150 all in

Last edited:
Commissario
That seems more like the price of a new door.

It looks like the bill is made up of
Callout
Labour to open the door (did it take 4 hours or something? given he's also charged the emergency fee).
Replacing the locking mechanism
Replacing the lock with a medium security one (at about 7 times the price of a good high security lock).
Fitting and adjustment.

That to me is an incredible amount.

Last edited:
Soldato
The call out fee is on the high side but relatively normal, the fitting and adjusting fee is ok, everything else is a complete **** take, what even is the "new medium security"?

There's no lock that costs £400+, even an entire multipoint mechanism would be £100-200

Drilling out the old lock should have been included in the call out fee, not an extra £389, how many days was he there!?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That to me is an incredible amount.

Compared to what places local to me are quoting it is very high - most of them don't charge a call out fee unless you want a priority response during unsociable hours as well. Be interesting to see what someone who actually works in the trade says though.

Back
Top Bottom