London cyclists "too white, male and middle aged" and this is a problem.

Soldato
So...hold on...ive already been through this. Cycling is an incredibly cheap form of transport especially compared to other methods. How exactly is cost the restrictive factor here?
People get a bike because they can't afford a car.

As I said before (And I really wasnt joking) Fear of Crime and assault might well be a factor for discouraging both BAME and Female potential cyclists.

I imagine that Women will be more reluctant to cycle alone for the same reasons as they are more likley to be reluctant to walk alone.

Men will (Rightly or wrongly) generally tend to be rather less concerned about cycling alone in the same way that they are generally quite willing to walk alone, especially after dark.

BAME people (For whatever reason) are likely to be living in poorer neighborhoods. Not only does this mean that they are likley to be higher crime neighborhoods, but also that accommodation is also likley to be rather more restricted so Cycle owners will find it much more difficult to find secure storage for their bikes when they are not using them.

They are also more likely to run the risk of being "Bikejacked" since, unlike the white middle class cyclists, they cannot avoid cycling in the more dodgy neighborhoods where this is more likely to be significant risk, since they actually live in them.

Soldato
If you live in such a bad area that being "bikejacked" is a worry then being mugged or carjacked is probably also a worry. So I can't see that swaying your mode of transport either way.

Caporegime
Given you mention neighbourhoods is it just possible thst BAME people tend to live where busses/trains/car/walking makes more sense than cycling?

Ie either very far from work or very close not the middle ground where a bicycle is useful

V F

V F

Soldato
Rumour has it that some of them are pretty good at it, once they've had a decent amount of practice.

Here's one: Ashley Fiolek.

I'd wager that she'd easily whoop every one of us here on dirt on 2 wheels. :)

Hopefully she'll inspire more girls to take up the sport.

...and she loves 2 strokes. \o/

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But why is it so important that there is diversity amongst cyclists?

If there is an under representation of one (or more) groups in an activity, then surely it makes sense to investigate and identify if there is barrier stopping that group (or groups) participating, no?

Caporegime
If there is an under representation of one (or more) groups in an activity, then surely it makes sense to investigate and identify if there is barrier stopping that group (or groups) participating, no?

why? if per £1000 spent you can get say 2 white middle aged males to cycle or 1 BAME/woman to cycle it surely makes sense to focus on the white middle aged males?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

why? if per £1000 spent you can get say 2 white middle aged males to cycle or 1 BAME/woman to cycle it surely makes sense to focus on the white middle aged males?
Obviously the money spent investigating needs to be proportionate to the desired effect, but the article makes no mention of money, so I can't comment.

I'm arguing that the principle in the article (identifying barriers to participation) is not unsound in principle.

Just seems the anti-SJW crowd are getting their knickers in a twist again over nothing.

Caporegime
Obviously the money spent investigating needs to be proportionate to the desired effect, but the article makes no mention of money, so I can't comment.

I'm arguing that the principle in the article (identifying barriers to participation) is not unsound in principle.

Just seems the anti-SJW crowd are getting their knickers in a twist again over nothing.

i dont mean investigating i mean "encouraging".

the issue with cycling is reducing emissions, so its purely numbers not equality off access/fairness.

Soldato

You have started straight out of the gate with the fallacy that a discrepancy in distributions (especially where a perceived 'victim' group is involved) is the result of some sort of systemic oppression or barrier.

The average man and woman are not the same and neither are their interests on average.....

Expecting sex distributions in an activity like cycling (a physical activity with a strong competitive angle) to match the general population numbers is very daft....

Differences in cycling numbers between ethnicities is more likely to be the result in differences in cultural views of cycling, employment and geographical distributions of ethnic groups rather then system oppression or barriers preventing or dissuading certain groups from getting on a bicycle

Caporegime
one thing that may be the difference for men and women is quite obvious no?

clothing?

the other major thing that is constantly brought up in any thread mentioning trans people?

testosterone?

cycling is inherently easier for men than women.

Caporegime
Clothing? what are you smoking?
Get out of Britain and see normal humans in normal clothes using bikes Everyday. No ones in Lycra. or super athletes.
Look at China and Vietnam.
Id hazard to say terrible weather and terrible roads are more the reason why cycling is awful in the UK. Combined with HIDEOUS attitudes of drivers.

the Statistic is just BS i dont even know why its allowed to be printed. Its garbage.

Caporegime
Clothing? what are you smoking?
Get out of Britain and see normal humans in normal clothes using bikes Everyday. No ones in Lycra. or super athletes.
Id hazard to say terrible weather and terrible roads are more the reason why cycling is awful in the UK. Combined with HIDEOUS attitudes of drivers.

the Statistic is just BS i dont even know why its allowed to be printed. Its garbage.

high heels and skirts?

have you met women who work in offices?

i mean i sure as **** wouldn't want to walk in heels let alone cycle.

my ex had enough issue with motorcycle passenger pegs in heels.

so your saying women are scared of the rain?

Caporegime
I'm scared of the rain. Im sure some women are too.

If a person cant work out how to own 2 pairs of shoes then maybe its best they don't ride a bike too. Even ive worked out how to have 2 pairs of shoes.

Women being forced to wear certain shoes in office situations is another issue. Outdated dress code ideas in Britain that I've seen how ridiculous they are after living out of the system.

Caporegime
I'm scared of the rain. Im sure some women are too.

so absolutely not a factor then as its equal.

If a person cant work out how to own 2 pairs of shoes then maybe its best they don't ride a bike too. Even ive worked out how to have 2 pairs of shoes.

psst, its not a working out thing, its a cba to get changed twice and shower at work thing....

i cba even be arsed to take 2 pairs of shoes to work, i just ride in my steelies and go to the gym in them too.

Soldato
I think we need to encourage North Korea to nuke us before sjws waste anymore tax payers money on these things. The we will have real problems to deal with rather than bs ones XD

The nukes don't discriminate they disintegrate. :)

Caporegime
I think we need to encourage North Korea to nuke us before sjws waste anymore tax payers money on these things. The we will have real problems to deal with rather than bs ones XD

The nukes don't discriminate they disintegrate. :)

brb let me get a german shepard named dogmeat

Man of Honour

I go on many trips to major cities in Europe and it amazes me how many cyclists there are and of all types.
Most look as though they are cycling in their work clothes and women probably have high heels at work.
The attitude of motorists is completely different towards them also.

Yes, yes and 1000%.
Yesterdays incident - I'm riding up a steepish bank when a car decides to pull straight out and I go straight into his door (I'm only doing about 10 mph so no harm done to me).
The driver is inconsolable and it's only two blokes running from over the other side of the road that stopped him from hitting me.
The driver said it was 100% my fault so the two blokes said they would stay there until the cops come to be witnesses and at that point the driver said 'You're ******* lucky" and drove off.
The attitude of motorists in this country is abysmal but at least he didn't say that I don't pay road tax :)

so your saying women are scared of the rain?

Most men are, when it's pouring down I never see anybody else cycling.

Back
Top Bottom