Lone echo

Soldato
I bought this yesterday, and was blown away by how real and immersive this is. There aren't the words to describe how incredible the feeling of 'being there' is in this game. :eek:

As someone who works in games development I know how hard this stuff is. The inverse kinematics on the robot arms, and the way they most of the time accurately mimic your actual arm positions is a stunning achievement.

I only played about an hour or so - to be honest my arms and legs were aching after a while as I'm not used to gaming requiring all these extra muscles :rolleyes:.

I love the design of the spacecraft, and all the little details. As a Browncoat (Firefly fan) the dinosaurs by the cockpit window were particually amusing. :D

Initially I ran into the memory crash, but a re-boot sorted that out. I'll take a look at the swapfile size later.

Looking forward to playing this some more. This is definitely VR's first killer app.

Loz

Loz

Associate
. This is definitely VR's first killer app.
Have to agree totally with you there. By far the best game that I've played on my Vive. VR at it's best. Superb graphics and storyline. A must buy even for those apposed to buying anything from Oculus. The
developers deserve a good return on this title as it sets the AAA bar pretty high.

Associate
Just bought this, really enjoying it. Hope it's more than 4-6 hours long. Been playing for 1.5 hours at the moment (taking my time - only open spolier if you have played the game):

and have just got to the part where you exit the main ship to investigate the anomaly and the transport ship malfunctions.

Have I still got a fair way to go?

Soldato
OP
Just bought this, really enjoying it. Hope it's more than 4-6 hours long. Been playing for 1.5 hours at the moment (taking my time - only open spolier if you have played the game):

and have just got to the part where you exit the main ship to investigate the anomaly and the transport ship malfunctions.

Have I still got a fair way to go?
Yep loads you haven't even met the giant space spider yet.:D

Soldato
I took it fairly slowly and it's taken me a good few hours to complete (which I did today). Anyone who completes this in 4-6 hours is rushing it, as there's loads to explore.

I think the first half is more impressive than the latter half, which gets a bit samey in places, but it's still an absolutely amazing game. The way the motion is handled is pure genius, and the connection you get with Liv is really emotional. The best in-game 'buddy' since Alyx in HL2.

I'll definitely replay this when I get a third sensor so I can do true 360 without having to use stick rotation, and also use the advanced movement options now I've got VR legs.

One thing that gets me is how little publicity this game has got, with hardly any reviews on the major gaming sites. I read that VR articles don't generate much traffic for those sites, but it's a shame that means this game doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

Soldato
Great game. Revive works fine. But latest NV drivers causes problems. Stick with 382.XX.

Also stick with it past the first stage when something big happens. It's worth it. Being outside and riding those ship thingies is epic

Associate
As soon as I find away to get room scaling working properly without cable everywhere and hiding the Rift cameras, I'm going to be all over this, I have yet to read a bad word about it

Soldato
A bit late too the Lone Echo party :) I just bought this last week. It's a very well done game. Great story and some wonderful views. The movement is fantastic. But, they really wasted so much potential. After the first hour, you have seen and done everything the game has to offer. It got very repetitive and not in a good way. It's so heavily scripted that you can't even try to solve a problem without going through the exact steps at the exact time they want you to. The puzzles aren't really puzzles. There is no problem solving, no room for creativity or anything. It's basically go here press buttons, pull lever etc.

The first hour or so is amazing and worth the price of admission. Now, I haven't actually finished the game yet, so I might be judging it a little early. Because, unlike most other opinions of the game, I am finding it a little boring to be honest. After the initial wow factor wore off, I am just going through the motions. The Liv, Jack storyline is really good. Shame they didn't put more effort into the game part. The left so much potential untapped.

In my mind this doesn't beat Robo Recall. This isn't even in my top 5 VR games/experiences.

Back
Top Bottom