Looking at getting a Glass Room/Conservatory/Wintergarden

Tea Drinker
Don
Nice.

Questions you might want to ask if you're bothered to know.

What are they doing with the SVP on the left, does that go into a soakaway? the reason I ask is that it's rainwater which could quite happily go into a soakaway however there's 2 50mm sink / washing machine drains which tend to block soakaways very quickly

The SVP boxing in the middle is going to be huge not quite as slender as the CGI

Where does the rainwater off the new roof go?

You've got a flue above the double doors where does this now go?

Soldato
with that amount of glazing, and wanting to open it up to the existing house you will have a bit of an issue with building standards, you will have to prove that the heat loss on the whole house will meet the current regulations - where I've done this before usually you have to upgrade insulation elsewhere if it's not a brand new house - otherwise you will have to put an external grade door between the new extension and existing house as a thermal break.
so you should add in maybe another 400-500 quid for consultants and then an unknown amount for upgrading the rest of the house....

Soldato
OP
Nice.

Questions you might want to ask if you're bothered to know.

What are they doing with the SVP on the left, does that go into a soakaway? the reason I ask is that it's rainwater which could quite happily go into a soakaway however there's 2 50mm sink / washing machine drains which tend to block soakaways very quickly

The SVP boxing in the middle is going to be huge not quite as slender as the CGI

Where does the rainwater off the new roof go?

You've got a flue above the double doors where does this now go?

SVP on the left is being rerouted round the corner outside the building

SVP in the middle is being boxed in, but no it won't be that slender

There will be a gutter on the new roof and a downpipe down the side, not sure exactly where.

The flue is the main question at the moment, going to get the CORGI man in to assess the options. The flue is powered so looking to either raise it up higher in the room before it exits or relocate the boiler on the left wall of the extension.

Soldato
OP
with that amount of glazing, and wanting to open it up to the existing house you will have a bit of an issue with building standards, you will have to prove that the heat loss on the whole house will meet the current regulations - where I've done this before usually you have to upgrade insulation elsewhere if it's not a brand new house - otherwise you will have to put an external grade door between the new extension and existing house as a thermal break.
so you should add in maybe another 400-500 quid for consultants and then an unknown amount for upgrading the rest of the house....

The entire extension is thermally broken, architect reckons the whole thing will have a U-Value of 1.0 but not sure I believe it. They don't seem to have any worries about removing the rear door and they're sorting all the building regs as part of the quote.

Soldato
The entire extension is thermally broken, architect reckons the whole thing will have a U-Value of 1.0 but not sure I believe it. They don't seem to have any worries about removing the rear door and they're sorting all the building regs as part of the quote.

how exactly is it thermally broken? I can see right into the dining room!!

Soldato
OP
how exactly is it thermally broken? I can see right into the dining room!!

As in the Glass, window frames, walls have thermal breaks :p

The glazing system is designed to be used like this, it's not like a traditional conservatory. Should be warm in winter and coolish in summer, especially with Underfloor heating and windows that open right across.

Soldato
yeah but you still have the problem (in building regulations terms) of removing a large part of the insulation envelope of the existing building and leaving it open to a new highly glazed space - not saying it can't be done, I just know i've had hassles with it before as long as you have the architect working for a lump sum and not on time!
good luck with it - just hope your neighbours aren't nosey haha!

Soldato
OP
Got them down to 47k all in. Going to go for it. Should be a nice addition to the house, estate agent reckons it will add 50-75k to the value too :)

Hopefully it will all be done by end of august if we put the planning app in soon.

Still need to find out options for what to do with the boiler flue.

Associate
SVP on the left is being rerouted round the corner outside the building

Does that then place it on your neighbours property?

Personally I think that while the mock up looks fantastic the actual will look nothing like it. You can't just tack a very modern looking structure on to the back of an old building with so many exposed pipes and expect it to marry in and look good. Internally it will no doubt look great but from the outside its always going to look like its just been tacked on with little thought to the overall look.

Soldato
OP
Planning application has gone in.

Need to decide on the split for the doors now, was thinking of having them all fold to the left in order to get an uninstructed view of the garden from the kitchen, but quite like the idea of 3 left 2 right now also

elevation.PNG

Last edited:
Soldato

If it was me I would dry line that entire internal wall and lose the SVP / RWP within it. Boxing would spoil it for me to be honest and I would rather lose a little bit of floor area than have boxing projecting into the room.

Soldato
£56k??!! Or have I read that wrong?? People build full houses for not a massive amount more!

Did you tell them you worked in Dubai? Think they are cashing in on this job.

Back
Top Bottom