Looking for a basic psu

Associate
You made the mistake of taking the label for granted because the Kolink 600w psu's are not capable of delivering 600w on their 12v rails. The Core Series 600w has a pathetic 480w on it's 12v rail and a disclaimer not to exceed 500w total power for continuous power while the KL600M has a even more pathetic 450w on it's 12v rail with the same 500w disclaimer. They are just garbage and it's sad that OCUK are still selling them but as their parent company is pushing them and OCUK get's them for peanuts I doubt if anything will change. To be honest with the power draw of your pc I am surprised the damn thing hasn't blown up which looking on the internet happens quite often with these psu's.

While the BeQuiet you linked to is of better quality than the Kolink it still has only 480v across it's dual 12v rails. Your pc has a power hungry cpu and gpu so you should be looking at a quality 650w psu and sadly there is nothing on OCUK around £55 that I would recommend for your pc. I would have recommended the Bitfenix Formula series 650w at £75 but that and the 750w version are both out of stock. If you hunt around a bit you can find the Gold rated and fully modular Riotoro G2 650w for £73 (basically a Seasonic Focus Plus with a different sticker). If the budget is really tight then shopping around you can find the Corsair CP-9020103-UK CX650M for £62 with free delivery. It's only bronze rated but the quality has improved massively over earlier units and Corsair now gives them a 5 year warranty. It has 648w of it's 650w on the 12v rail so would be more than capable of powering your pc.

yes for me I am going for a 750w EVGA gold G1+ next (which is actually made by superflower) and has a 10yr warranty.

Associate
You made the mistake of taking the label for granted because the Kolink 600w psu's are not capable of delivering 600w on their 12v rails. The Core Series 600w has a pathetic 480w on it's 12v rail and a disclaimer not to exceed 500w total power for continuous power while the KL600M has a even more pathetic 450w on it's 12v rail with the same 500w disclaimer. They are just garbage and it's sad that OCUK are still selling them but as their parent company is pushing them and OCUK get's them for peanuts I doubt if anything will change. To be honest with the power draw of your pc I am surprised the damn thing hasn't blown up which looking on the internet happens quite often with these psu's.

While the BeQuiet you linked to is of better quality than the Kolink it still has only 480v across it's dual 12v rails. Your pc has a power hungry cpu and gpu so you should be looking at a quality 650w psu and sadly there is nothing on OCUK around £55 that I would recommend for your pc. I would have recommended the Bitfenix Formula series 650w at £75 but that and the 750w version are both out of stock. If you hunt around a bit you can find the Gold rated and fully modular Riotoro G2 650w for £73 (basically a Seasonic Focus Plus with a different sticker). If the budget is really tight then shopping around you can find the Corsair CP-9020103-UK CX650M for £62 with free delivery. It's only bronze rated but the quality has improved massively over earlier units and Corsair now gives them a 5 year warranty. It has 648w of it's 650w on the 12v rail so would be more than capable of powering your pc.

I was suggesting the £55 BeQuiet Gold for RobTi which should do him fine.

Associate
How much power does a PC really use?
This is my current system at idle, and thats with 2x AIO's and 5 HDDS
Playing BFV @ 4K and i briefly saw 504W fully loaded.
If your not running a beefy GPU, or no GPU at all, a lower rated PSU will surely be ok?

symbol ammonia

Man of Honour
It's all about the quality not just the power. Take these Kolinks for example. We have seen the insides of the KL series and they have the cheapest and nastiest components inside them. Add to that the very weak 12v rails and the manufacturers disclaimer that they shouldn't exceed a certain voltage that is normally considerably less than the power they are supposed to deliver and you have all the makings of a generic no brand heap of junk. Worryingly the Core series is below the KL series so I dread to think of the rubbish inside of them. I certainly wouldn't use any Kolink psu which means that I would never recommend one to anybody else as I will not recommend something that I would not be happy to use myself. The psu shouldn't be skimped on just to save money. Of course you can cut down on the power if the pc has lesser power requirements just don't cut down on the quality.

As for how much power does a pc need that varies massively due to the massive combination of different components used inside different pc's. For example my pc uses considerably less than yours. I am running a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w psu in the pc in my siggy along with 12x 120mm fans, 4x 200mm fans, 2x fan controllers, 2x Temp monitors and a couple of leds for the reservoir. It only pulls 128-275w at the wall while gaming (depending on the game) and the very max I have managed to make it pull was 367w at the wall while using OCCT's psu torture test. Idling/ internet browsing is 72w at the wall. I have live power draw displayed in one of my fan controllers which is how I know what is being drawn all of the time. Even at my worst case figure of 367w I still have spare headroom of 183w meaning my psu is not running flat out at any time and is operating very efficiently. A psu running at it's maximum all of the time will be noisier due to the fan running flat out trying to keep it cool and will not be running in it's most efficient range.

Back
Top Bottom