Looking for a battery jump starter kit

Soldato
A recent incident with a flat battery has made me start looking at jump starter kits, since I can't always rely on somwhere to be there to help me with a push start.

I know very little about cars and there's quite a few different kits out there, mostly varying in ampage.

Can anyone recommend a decent kit?

Associate
I’ve got one of these -

It’s absolutely brilliant. My sisters car wouldn’t start and next doors car with jump leads wouldn’t seem to work but this worked no problems. I always keep it charged up in my car and have used it loads helping people out

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.
I've ordered a Noco Boost Sport 500A, which says it does up to 4L petrol, so should handle my car with no problems.
Also ordered some cheap jumper cables.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.
I've ordered a Noco Boost Sport 500A, which says it does up to 4L petrol, so should handle my car with no problems.
Also ordered some cheap jumper cables.
Just make sure that you top up the charge on it every so often.
As with any device with batteries, if its been lying around for 6 to 12 months, there is a good chance the batteries will be depleted somewhat, so keep it topped up

Commissario
Shirley the answer is a new battery?

Yeah be looking at why the battery was flat in the 1st place and dealing with that

I keep a boost pack in the car following an incident of my boy knocking the interior light on without anyone realising as we left the car on an island for a week while we travelled to another island.

I’ve never had to use (for me) but it’s there now in case I need it. I have used it twice to help people who are stranded with a flat battery.

Man of Honour
I’ve never had to use (for me) but it’s there now in case I need it. I have used it twice to help people who are stranded with a flat battery.

Same with the jump starters and battery tyre inflators I bought - not used for myself so far but helped other people, usually work colleagues, several times.

Sgarrista
Commissario

I have one of these and can confirm it has enough oomph to fire up a v12 engine , and anything else we have used it on in the last 3 years. :D

Really handy bit of kit, its made by the same company who makes the jump packs snap-on, just without the snap-on mental cost.

Soldato
My car manual states not to use these, it's a an EFB (flooded battery) if that makes any difference? Does anyone know why they recommend not using such things, or is it more a case of them covering their arses?

Associate
I've got the GB20 as my Celica only has a 500amp battery. It barely starts it if the battery is low. What type of car are you using it on as I will probably look at getting the GB40

I've used it on my civic type r (fk8) complete flat battery where the doors wouldn't even unlock and it started right up and noco wasn't fully charged aswell. Started my dads lexus ls460, my brothers porsche 718 so its been pretty flawless for me. No lie, It's not even been charged in between. Maybe the GB20 isnt as gutsy as the GB40 has near enough double the power?

Man of Honour
My car manual states not to use these, it's a an EFB (flooded battery) if that makes any difference? Does anyone know why they recommend not using such things, or is it more a case of them covering their arses?

Probably covering their arses as some of the no name brand ones can be shockingly poor - potentially causing issues with the BMS and/or other car electronics due to lacking safety features and/or user error and EFB/AGM batteries can be susceptible to too high voltage even in very short spikes.

dun

dun

Soldato
First replace the battery. Then have a look at the best gooloo you can afford from the rainforest. I've got the 2000a one and it's great.

Back
Top Bottom