Looking for a better home router for 1gb Internet. Recommendations pls

Soldato
Hi guys. I've had 1gb Internet from Toob for about 6 months now, speeds are incredible hardwired but on wifi the router they provide as standard is a bit naff. I'm looking for a strong router for gaming that would give me the best speed snd future proofing. Do I need to be looking at Wifi6 routers? Any recommendations?

Soldato
There are currently no WiFi cards on sale that will run much over 750Mbps - and that’s on phones, tablets, laptops and PCs.

Most semi-decent ISP routers (BT Hub 2) will do 600Mbps.

I’d be tempted to go for a cheap but good WiFi6 router then go to access points if you dint get the speed you’re looking for.

Huawei AX3 should be available for £30-£50 depending on the offers on at the time and it’s a very good WiFi router for the money.

Soldato
OP
There are currently no WiFi cards on sale that will run much over 750Mbps - and that’s on phones, tablets, laptops and PCs.

Most semi-decent ISP routers (BT Hub 2) will do 600Mbps.

I’d be tempted to go for a cheap but good WiFi6 router then go to access points if you dint get the speed you’re looking for.

Huawei AX3 should be available for £30-£50 depending on the offers on at the time and it’s a very good WiFi router for the money.

Thanks for your input. I was looking at the really expensive Asus and TP link gaming routers, but before spending £300 to £400 on it, I wanted to get some advice first

Associate
Thanks for your input. I was looking at the really expensive Asus and TP link gaming routers, but before spending £300 to £400 on it, I wanted to get some advice first

I briefly used an asus pce-ac88 card, that managed just under 900mbs with hyperoptic's provided router, which isn't that far off what I get hardwired.

I did return it in the end though, it had an annoyingly large 4x4 antenna array. It was also only about 10m away from the router, and not as consistent, hardwired just maxes out at the gigabit. I'd imagine it would fall off pretty sharpish if you had any real distance to the router.

Soldato
I briefly used an asus pce-ac88 card, that managed just under 900mbs with hyperoptic's provided router, which isn't that far off what I get hardwired.

Do you mind if I ask how this was measured? And what WLAN device it was communicating with because to get those speeds would genuinely be exceptional. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just exceptional.

Associate
Do you mind if I ask how this was measured? And what WLAN device it was communicating with because to get those speeds would genuinely be exceptional. I’m not saying it’s impossible, just exceptional.

Yeah, I normally use nperf.com, but it was more or less the same using other sites. I use hyperoptic's provided router, which is a Nokia HA-140W-B. They card and router are both 4x4 mimo, and probably less than 10 meters away. No way you are getting anything close to that otherwise I suspect.

The aerial placement didn't seem to matter too much, even just chucked on the floor somewhere behind the PC I never saw less than 750, which is still ridiculously good. The only downside is that the aerial was quite large, and only had about 40cm of cable to reach the PCI card, so it's really hard to find somewhere convienient for it.

The throughput was the main reason I bought it tbh, quite a few other people were getting near gigabit over the 5ghz band. Not bad for £60.
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8133/asus-pce-ac88-ac3100-wireless-pcie-adapter-review/index.html
https://www.blacktubi.com/review/asus-pce-ac88-review/

There's also plenty of people getting 5-600mbps in less ideal conditions, which is more toward what I was expecting, I was really suprised how good it was.

Last edited:
Soldato
What floor area are you covering? You might need mesh instead of a single unit. Also, you have to have all your equipment/devices upgraded to wifi6 to see those speeds. I had to swap wifi for intel ax200 in my laptop. 900 mbps is perfectly achievable, but goes down rather quickly with distance and walls.
Oh and just forget about any of those 30 40 50 quid routers.

Soldato
What floor area are you covering? You might need mesh instead of a single unit. Also, you have to have all your equipment/devices upgraded to wifi6 to see those speeds. I had to swap wifi for intel ax200 in my laptop. 900 mbps is perfectly achievable, but goes down rather quickly with distance and walls.
Oh and just forget about any of those 30 40 50 quid routers.

Apparently, they were getting those speeds on an AC setup. Which is quite literally amazing. If you look in the Tweak Town review they were getting more than 1 GbE which is as good as if not better than most AX setups.

And I’ll back that £30 AX-3 against pretty much any AX router on the market. It’s a serious bargain. If Huawei weren’t the bad-boy of the Eastern world it would be significantly more expensive.

Soldato
I couldn’t find a way to set custom DNS servers on the AX3 so I returned it :( Did seem like a nice piece of kit even though I had no intention of using it for Wi-Fi.

Associate

I have a few cards that'll do over 750Mb over Wifi via my ax3s? Only really works within a couple of metres though, this is with wifi 5 160 and wifi 6.

only on Win10 though as if the drivers from Intel on Win 11 for Wifi is a bit pants.

Soldato
I really want to know how people are measuring these numbers, because AX 2x2 and AC 4x4 will not run that fast.

The company I work for uses a company in Cheltenham to do our testing (we advise people on WLAN and have to give written guarantees on the expected speeds) and we have alpha, beta and release devices to play with and nothing in my release list will do nPerf between two local endpoints over 750Mbps, AX or AC.

Back
Top Bottom