• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for a CPU Upgrade

Associate
Hi Everyone,

Currently running an i7 6700K with a 1080 TI FTW3 11GB and 16GB Ram @ 1080p 144Hz.

Seems to be my CPU in most games that struggles, all cores maxed out its 4 core 8 thread I believe?

My PC is my business but I also game, don't mind spending that bit more to go nuts on cores and future proofing.

Can someone give me some ideas? Obviously, I don't want to bottleneck with my card but I can't see that being an issue as the games I tend to play are more CPU intense than GPU...

I was looking at Intel Core i9-7900X - any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Soldato
Just using the 3D Mark Timespy CPU test as a basic reference, a Core i9-7900X will double your CPU score over a i7-6700k which tbh is still a decent CPU. That CPU is pricey though. As you're looking at Intel you might want to wait a few weeks until the 9000 series refresh, alternative have a look at the AMD options, they are a lot better than they used to be.

Associate
OP
Just using the 3D Mark Timespy CPU test as a basic reference, a Core i9-7900X will double your CPU score over a i7-6700k which tbh is still a decent CPU. That CPU is pricey though. As you're looking at Intel you might want to wait a few weeks until the 9000 series refresh, alternative have a look at the AMD options, they are a lot better than they used to be.

Yeah, I've been following AMD but personally, for me, it's just not there yet.

Any idea on when this 9000 Refresh is going to happen exactly? Worth waiting I guess...

Thanks!

Soldato
Yeah, I've been following AMD but personally, for me, it's just not there yet.

Any idea on when this 9000 Refresh is going to happen exactly? Worth waiting I guess...

Thanks!

Sounds like the 9900K is what you're looking for as long as the platform has enough goodies on it for your needs. Intel HEDT is not great value at the moment.

Soldato
I dont know if you wanna overclock cause its your business PC but i imagine a decent overclock would give better performance in games rather than more cores and would be much cheaper than a full CPU+Mobo upgrade.

This been overclockers.co.uk i thought i better throw that option in there :)

Associate
OP
I dont know if you wanna overclock cause its your business PC but i imagine a decent overclock would give better performance in games rather than more cores and would be much cheaper than a full CPU+Mobo upgrade.

This been overclockers.co.uk i thought i better throw that option in there :)

This is true, I don't mind overclocking. Its all on a custom EK Loop with 1x 320 rad and 1x 220 rad so enough cooling going on. I just feel like this CPU Struggles with more intensive tasks & online games that might have 64+ players. Obviously well optimised multiplayer games are ok, but these days those are few and far between.

I also run some VM's and host a few internet services and like I said, it's my business so I'm kinda thinking to go hard or go home which is why I've been looking at the Threadripper and the i9-7900X.

Years ago (and I mean like many years ago) I moved away from AMD and I vowed never to go back just because of the stability from Intel builds and also the performance from gaming, it's a no-brainer. Yes, the prices are high at the moment but when it's for your business and not just for gaming that reliability to me is priceless and worth every penny.

That said Intel is going to have to do something otherwise AMD will claw back on value alone so it makes sense to overclock for now and wait for this 9000 refresh for sure.

Would much prefer to stay intel tho if possible.. Then I just need to find a nice compact tower to get it all in.

Kindest,

Soldato
This is true, I don't mind overclocking. Its all on a custom EK Loop with 1x 320 rad and 1x 220 rad so enough cooling going on. I just feel like this CPU Struggles with more intensive tasks & online games that might have 64+ players. Obviously well optimised multiplayer games are ok, but these days those are few and far between.

I also run some VM's and host a few internet services and like I said, it's my business so I'm kinda thinking to go hard or go home which is why I've been looking at the Threadripper and the i9-7900X.

Years ago (and I mean like many years ago) I moved away from AMD and I vowed never to go back just because of the stability from Intel builds and also the performance from gaming, it's a no-brainer. Yes, the prices are high at the moment but when it's for your business and not just for gaming that reliability to me is priceless and worth every penny.

That said Intel is going to have to do something otherwise AMD will claw back on value alone so it makes sense to overclock for now and wait for this 9000 refresh for sure.

Would much prefer to stay intel tho if possible.. Then I just need to find a nice compact tower to get it all in.

Kindest,

Another thing to consider, and this is pertinent because it is your business, is current Intel CPUs are massive security issues, especially if running VM's, there are patches to mitigate these issues, however they come with a performance penalty in some cases, again especially for VMs etc. AMD CPU's suffer this less so to almost non existant.

While i cant argue that Intel offer better gaming performance, i suggest still looking at Threadripper and such if your running VM's and your businesses security and performance is important to you.

Associate
Spending all those money to be stuck at 1080/144 with that poor 1080ti...

The monitor is the most important component, a new 1440p/144+Hz would be the most tangible and sensible upgrade. You're so CPU bound because of that resolution, I bet you wouldn't be thinking of upgrading CPU if you were using a higher resolution.

Soldato

The monitor is the most important component, a new 1440p/144+Hz would be the most tangible and sensible upgrade. You're so CPU bound because of that resolution, I bet you wouldn't be thinking of upgrading CPU if you were using a higher resolution.
Exactly this.

Soldato
It might be his VMs and other stuff he's hosting taxing the CPUs while hes gaming causing them to be pegged at 100%, in that case some more cores might help. I use 4k res so my CPU is at 20% when i game so i cant really say i have any experience in this matter :)

Soldato

If the CPU can't handle 1080@144Hz then raising the resolution to 1440/144Hz will only serve to lower the FPS in exchange for better image quality. Maybe the OP needs the higher FPS, in which case the new monitor would be pointless.

If the CPU can't handle 1080@144Hz then raising the resolution to 1440/144Hz will only serve to lower the FPS in exchange for better image quality. Maybe the OP needs the higher FPS, in which case the new monitor would be pointless.

I upgraded from a 1080p monitor to a 21:9 display using only a lowly 2500k and a 980ti to power it, best upgrade I've ever done, hand on heart, people underestimate a monitor upgrade.

Associate
OP
I do have a 144hz Monitor, BenQ. I game in 1080p and the CPU in some games is not cutting it while the card 1080 TI FTW3 (11GB) is coping just fine.

I do want to upgrade my resolution while gaming, and that will come with time. But I don't just game like I said my business is my PC and I do other things where I've also noticed the CPU being the weaker bit of hardware.

Associate
I do have a 144hz Monitor, BenQ. I game in 1080p and the CPU in some games is not cutting it while the card 1080 TI FTW3 (11GB) is coping just fine.

I do want to upgrade my resolution while gaming, and that will come with time. But I don't just game like I said my business is my PC and I do other things where I've also noticed the CPU being the weaker bit of hardware.

Which games?

Back
Top Bottom