Looking for a job abroad, how challenging?

Permabanned
Hello! I am regular on these forums but have made an account since I will share details I would rather people did not know. I currently work a fairly senior position in the tech industry and mainly deal with cloud services, automated deployment and infrastructure. I am around 30 and earning a decent wage of around 75k in a full time permanent role well outside London.

However the current situation with our politicians and the nature of Brexit uncertainty has me worried about the future here. I am considering getting a new job and moving abroad, Amsterdam feels like an excellent place and I love the country in general on my visits there.

What are peoples experiences of working and moving abroad? Has anyone ever made such a move and how do you find the culture difference? Of course I will learn the native language given time.

It seems there is a reasonable amount of demand for my skill-set here and in the States, but not sure how this is replicated in the rest of Europe. For anyone in the tech industry outside of the UK, will it be likely that I can match or exceed my current salary or should I expect and be looking for less?

Soldato
You do realise you will likely lose your right to work in Europe after Brexit?

So its best to get out now before Brexit fully kicks in, don't you think??? After Brexit more than likely we will default to the same working rights like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and non Schengen countries. You can freely be there upto 3 months but after that you will need a working visa or show you are able to support yourself while living in that country.

I am looking to do the same, been applying for jobs since September in Germany and Switzerland. Had a number of interviews but nothing solid yet.

Soldato
The UK pays relatively well, especially in terms of net income, compared to many places in Europe.

Downside is a culture of carp work-life balance, poor social security, poor/expensive public services, expensive housing, and the London problem.

Many aspects of day to day life are much better abroad. But, you will be an immigrant, and that comes with its own set of challenges...none insurmountable though.

The utter *********** that is the the Conservatives handing of Brexit means important stuff like residency, pensions and long term healthcare are up in the air right now. That said it's likely some deal will be made and you'll be able to move as an EU citizen for some time yet.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
A friend of mine quit his office job in central London, bought a one way ticket to the south of France, and walked up and down the ports all day asking if any boats needed a deckhand till he found something. He's currently working on Lakshmi Mittal's yacht.

Not relevant industry to you, but just to show it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom