Looking for a new monitor - 32" ODYSSEY G7 vs LG 32GP850-B

Soldato
I currently have a Dell U3415W and although nothing wrong with it, would like to try out the Freesync options with my 5700XT. Mainly use my monitor for office work during the weekdays and gaming and watching movies/YouTube in the weekends. Gaming is at 1440P. Having the ultrawide does help with the screen real estate when it comes to multiple browser windows/programs.

Recently looking to change the monitor but cant find one at £500-600 price range apart from the above mentioned G7 32" and LG 32GP850-B.
While the Dell U3415W is curved it is not as prominent as G7 I think. G7 says it has a 1000R curvature where as Dell U3415W is a 3800R which is less curved. So I am not sure if that is "too curvy" for me. This is where LG 32GP850-B comes in - it is flat!

G7 does have a higher refresh rate and seems to be a better VA panel compared to the mini IPS panel of LG.
Thoughts?

I found this by pure luck!

I actually have a 32GP850 in front of me and I have the 32 inch Odyssey G7 coming tomorrow...I couldn't decide between the two so I got both so I can make a solid choice between the two.

So far I LOVE the IPS panel on the LG. I also have a 34GK950F which sadly just started displaying the infamous horizontal black lines occasionally and is out of warranty :( I thought the switch from ultrawide would bother me and it did for a few days but I got used to it quick.

Anyway the panel was almost identical to my ultrawide ...bright vivid colors 0 blur or ghosting ultra responsive...it's wonderful! There is however a fair amount of IPS glow visible in bottom right and top right corners... obviously only noticeable on dark areas...I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does though.. I had an Asus ROG VA panel monitor for a few days beforehand and I just couldn't get over how bad it looked so I'm nervous for the odyssey but the reviews say it's wonderful so I'll have to wait and see.

I'll definitely update this thread after I get it tomorrow and form an opinion on it. All I'm gonna say is the LG is truly gonna be hard to beat ...on my unprofessional scale I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10 easily. Minus .5 for bad HDR and minus 1 for the IPS glow. Hoping for minimal backlight bleed on the G7...

Edit: oh yeah and about the curve I guess we'll have to wait to see that too. My ultrawide is an 1800R and so was the ROG 32 inch VA monitor so going flat took me some time to adjust to as well. Definitely less immersive but on the plus side since games run at a lower resolution a lot of them can hit the max refresh rate. Hitting 144fps on my ultrawide with a rtx 2080 wasn't easy!

Ok I've spent exactly 15 mins playing with the G7 and....the LG is already boxed back up for return

Just upon initial use the screen is brighter and sharper and in games it looks fantastic. The curve is...a bit jarring at first but I can definitely see myself getting used to it. No flickering when using Gsync and the backlight bleed isn't bad enough to be noticeable whereas the IPS glow was a magnet for my eyes anytime I used the LG.

I'll do some more In depth testing tomorrow but I fully intend on sending the 32GP850 back.

Ok I've spent exactly 15 mins playing with the G7 and....the LG is already boxed back up for return

Just upon initial use the screen is brighter and sharper and in games it looks fantastic. The curve is...a bit jarring at first but I can definitely see myself getting used to it. No flickering when using Gsync and the backlight bleed isn't bad enough to be noticeable whereas the IPS glow was a magnet for my eyes anytime I used the LG.

I'll do some more In depth testing tomorrow but I fully intend on sending the 32GP850 back.

Thanks for the quick initial thoughts, i am myself torn between these two monitors. Was always going to go with the Lg, but unsure now. Decisions, decisions

Yes I am torn too.
Most of the time(5 days out of 7) I use the monitor for productivity tasks(working from home) while keeping multiple browser tabs, outlook and Excel files. Right now the U3415W helps with havi g to snap 2 windows to either half of the monitor which kinda works for me.
I have not experienced freesync(or gsync) with a GPU so wanted to have that experience while keeping the productivity. Not sure if G7 used on its own would be good for that.

Biggest concern for me at the moment, is the curve on the Samsung, unsure if i would really get on with it, maybe best stick to what i know best, and go with the Lg as it has no curve.

Thank you for the quick feedback. Would. E interested to know what your longer usage feedback would be.

Biggest concern for me at the moment, is the curve on the Samsung, unsure if i would really get on with it, maybe best stick to what i know best, and go with the Lg as it has no curve.

curve on it is awesome, once you get used to it, it’s night and day..

Yes I'm returning the 32GP850. I finally got to use both side by side and after a few adjustments the Odyssey looks just the same as the LG. Plus I personally got the odyssey for $550 and the LG for $660 so it's a no brainer in my case!

Now I'm seeing new screens from gigabyte and msi ultrawide for the same price or less ack. Gotta start clearing these boxes outta the house before the wife kills me!

I am looking to order a 32 inch sometime this week. Possibly today.

Trying to find some reviews on the Aorus FI32Q without much successes, found a couple but not particularly helpfully, not exactly indepth.

Odyssey, if I just used my monitor for gaming I would take a punt, I think I could learn to live with the curve. I also use monitor for work, no idea if I could live with the curve here. So its off the menu, just too uncertain in regard to being able to live with the curve and don't want the hassle of having to return something because I made the wrong call.

Eesh $1000 for a 1440p panel...I couldn't swing that unless it was the end all be all perfect option! Unless you found it for MSRP? Be our guinea pig let us know how it goes! Might send the Odyssey packin...

I couldn't swing that unless it was the end all be all perfect option

Same here. It's not perfect but ticks every box for me aside from contrast. Feel less issue sending it back if I feel its not worth the asking price.

MSRP. very slightly over. I got a heavy and unexpected discount this afternoon on a separate item. No show delivery, showed up after refund. I offered to pay and was expecting to do so today. Went with a cheeky could I get a 20% discount given the hassle.

They replied with a cheeky, keep it no charge counter offer. Which given the price was a nice surprise.

Unexpected and extra £150 to play with.

[QUOTE="Ridgeburner, post: 34916732, member: 248868" Be our guinea pig let us know how it goes! Might send the Odyssey packin...[/QUOTE]

Its a nice monitor. Impressively responsive. Not tried the ELMB feature yet. Value for money its not. If I used the monitor for watching movies etc, I would be disappointed unless that saturated pop is you're thing.

Comes with a whole heap of shiny crap stating you are a v.i.p member and a member of an elite club. Although not sure if that warrants spending that much extra.

Build is generally good but materials, surprisingly cheap in places, cover for the cables at the back, surprisingly flimsy, not exactly important but at the price charged particular as its one of the first things you handle, not reassuring.

I needed to pick up a monitor now and overpaid, it is a seriously good gaming monitor just overpriced.

£100 less I would recommend it. It is clearly a serious gaming monitor, looks great, impressive (with some tweaking going to look awesome I suspect) , response is ace. Not one for serious movie watchers/ you tube etc. but not an issue for me, don't use the p.c for anything other than casual use here and I can live with it.

Last edited:
So I got the Predator X38 today and it's 100 perfect no noticeable IPS glow the only thing is theres a single stuck green pixel sort of to the right of center screen. Only noticeable on black screens and just barely ... Ugh now what do I do :(

Back
Top Bottom