Looking for advice on a solid state drive

Man of Honour
Nope 100% doesn't fit in one of those 2 slots no matter what way I try.

Dude, can you please describe EXACTLY what you mean, we need precise details here, which part does not fit and why? It's hard to help you when we can't see where you're going wrong, even if the problem is actually really simple.

Associate
OP
Ok here's another pic tell me you can see it

I'm sure I don't have to explain why it wont fit in that slot.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ok here's another pic tell me you can see it

Unless I'm being an idiot, that's not the M.2 slot, that's a PCI-E slot. Look at the video @ryu posted above ^^

Associate
OP
Haha belter! I thought those 2 small sockets where were it plugs in lol.

I watched that video and the socket I'm looking for is next to the ram slots, problem is I have a large cooler attached to the cpu so it's gonna be tricky getting it in there.

Right I'm gonna power off now and have another go at it! :)

Associate
OP
So I've watched that video about 8 times now and tried to replicate what the dude does and it doesn't fit in that slot either.

How the hell is that meant to fit in there? I removed the screw just like he did but the screw on mine is tiny so not sure if its the exact same MB.

The reason why I thought it went in the other smaller sockets was because the MB has this on it right next to one of those smaller sockets

I'm starting to question my sanity with this now. Surely it can't be that ****** hard to plug in an ssd?

Although as mentioned in my OP I am a ssd virgin so cut me some slack :D

Associate
OP
If you look at the 1st picture there is no slot for the thing to actually plug in and there's now way i'm gonna force it in. In the video the guy slots it in no problem.

I've emailed western digital so I'l see what they say.

I forked out £450 for a radeon 6800 that doesn't offer a display (which I will be returning on Monday and another £110 for this ssd. I've been a pc gamer for over 20 years now, honestly starting to think if its maybe time to just get a console, much less hassle.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you look at the 1st picture there is no slot for the thing to actually plug in and there's now way i'm gonna force it in. In the video the guy slots it in no problem.

It is hard to see 100% clearly from the image, but from what I can gather, there's nothing there that it is not normal. The slot is on the top of the plastic thingy and if your M.2 device was the right way up (you have the bottom facing upwards instead of downwards), I'm 99% sure it would fit just fine. In that video, he appears to simply slot it in sideways (might be a visual illusion due to the top-down camera), but usually M.2 drives are installed at a slight angle and then pushed down.

Associate
OP
l'l have another go at it tomorrow after work. Right now I feel like throwing the pc out the ****** window which clearly would not be progress lol

Soldato
So I've watched that video about 8 times now and tried to replicate what the dude does and it doesn't fit in that slot either.

How the hell is that meant to fit in there? I removed the screw just like he did but the screw on mine is tiny so not sure if its the exact same MB.

Although as mentioned in my OP I am a ssd virgin so cut me some slack :D
It will definitely fit into that slot in your photo but you have to orient the drive flipped on its long axis with the label facing downwards it seems - the slot is keyed with the small part to the right which is why it's not mating up correctly the way you have it oriented.

Another go with the cooler removed would be easier as inconvenient as it might be - my boards M2 slots are both lower down in-between the PCI-E slots which makes it easier to fit drives.

I know with my B450 MSI mobo's second M2 slot when used disables some of the other SATA ports as it shares the PCI-E lanes so you can only use one or the other not both iirc. Newer boards would be different no doubt.

Associate
OP
So finished work today, opened the pc again and slotted in the ssd at an angle no bother. Didn't even have to remove the cooler.

Was much easier doing it in broad daylight as opposed to artificial light last night. Was pretty tired as well last night which wasn't helping my frustration levels.

Cheers fellas :)

ryu

ryu

Associate
Excellent, now you can enjoy using the drive!

Imagine how many M.2 drives they could fit on a motherboard if the port was like the small PCI-E expansions ports, and the drives all stuck out perpendicular to the motherboard :cool:

Associate
OP
Yep looking forward to getting it up and running. As someone posted above it looks like my MB doesn't support a duel boot system with the sata drives plugged in so today I'm gonna back up what i need then unplug the sata drives and get windows installed on the ssd.

Ha yeah about those smaller PCI-E ports, what are they actually used for?

Man of Honour

Nothing, tbh. Practically everything is on the board now, so they're not used much, hence they put them right under the graphics card where they're not even accessible for most users.

ryu

ryu

Associate
I assume there's no harm in linking random images from the interwebs in here?

They could be used for pci-e risers for the graphics cards in mining rigs like in the below:

6-way%2Bmining2.jpg

This is how many m.2 drives you could connect if they'd fit in those slots :p

b250mining.jpg

Back
Top Bottom