Looking for some advice on a home cinema setup

How many video sources do you have? If you have several, then might need a AVR. Depends on how many on TV/projector, if you route sources to the display, then back, or need a AVR so route all devices through that then onto projector.

ie I have a BD player, Kodi video player, and audio streamer into my av pre amp.

You can spend a lot of money

That excludes a AVR, so would be looking at another £2000 or so for a good one or better.

This is all for the projector. I do sometimes use my Xbox & PC with the projector. So would I be better off connecting the projector to the amp with an optical. Then when I connect the Xbox/PC to the projector via HDMI the sound will all come out of the speakers right?

I'd get a AVR then. Connect all sources to the AVR. Then use a long HDMI cable from the AVR output into the projector.

Just easier that way. Video and audio routing, sources and AVR on racking on front wall.

That'll allow you add sources as needed and not mess with the limited I/O on the projector.
I've connected my xbox and PC to the projector with active HDMI cables for years now so I honestly don't mind doing it. So would I still be able to use the speaker setup that way? (connecting directly to the projector instead of an avr).

Yes. But you would lose

Dolby HD audio
DTS HD Audio
Atmos
DTS X

As optical from the projector at best will be standard Dolby Digital/ DTS 5.1, like what you get with DVD's. Any enhanced audio from BD's will be lost.

Oh damn okay! That sucks. The projector is a Benq W2710. Blimey this is turning into a major project. Still a bit mind blown at it all to be honest haha.

That projector has eARC

ARC passes DVD type audio
E-ARC passed HD BD type audio

if you use Wiim amp, it'll work, but need to find out what codec formats that supports. It'll be PCM, but whether bitstream will work I don't know. In the projector you'll have to set suitable outputs on the ARC output.

A AVR will support and decode them all.
Thanks for checking that. I mean it's not a problem if some things don't work perfectly. I'm looking for a setup that covers 80% of what I need.

I do like the WiiM amp though. Pair that with the Diamonds and I think it could be a very nice beginner setup with opportunity to expand in the future (replacing the WiiM amp).

But how do I connect my Xbox/PC to the WiiM amp and then connect that to the projector to transmit video as there's only one HDMI?

Also if you want atmos channels, you'll need something like this

I believe that can support 7.2.2 or 5.2.2 Plus it supports two subwoofers (and independent also rather than just identical), rather than just one.

I think long term it's better to get a AVR. Just add speakers and sub as needed, it has all HDMI 2.1 spec inputs, E-ARC, hdmi out.

Also consider if you want dual HDMI out, ie one to TV, another to projector, is so you'll need denon 2700

Way over budget mate!

Forget the atmos it's way too much money.

This is the one you linked before, would this be a good avr then if I choose to spend extra and skip the WiiM amp?

That's the problem you would have to connect all devices to the projector, then projector E-ARC into the Wiim.

Or use a switch box, but I'm not sure if that will cause an issue, you'd need one with two HDMI outs? Say sources into HDMI box, then HDMI 1 out into projector, then HDMI 2 out into Wiim amp. I don't know if that has issues with HDCP, sync, E-ARC etc
Ok that makes sense, that's doable. Cheers!

For your use, since it's multiple HDMI devices, video, HD audio, 4K, etc I would get a AVR. You just need HDMI going from that Denon monitor 1 out into the Projector HDMI number 1 input.

btw the Denon AVR's have built in audio streamer, so you get that as well, it's not as good as a dedicated audio streamer, but it's included.

It also has room EQ, you get a microphone, so it does levels, distance, and room EQ. Good idea to watch videos on that.

Great information. I will have to start saving then for an AVR. Better to buy a device that'll suit my future requirements too. Just wish they weren't so expensive! I thought I could get something half decent for £200.

Good price for a LCR set 3.0, has damage but been repaired

new the 3050i are £450
Appreciate the links, but I think I will pass on buying 2nd hand equipment. I will just save up to buy new equipment. Good deals though!

Alright I'll start to look around on AV forums for 2nd hand speakers! Just a bit wary that's all

What about AVR's as it was discussed on here I need a somewhat decent one for 4k/5.1/Dolby and they seem to start at £400 new? Are they ok to buy used?

Last edited:

This package above which was linked here seems to be a good choice. It's £595 if you buy them seperate.

Add in this AVR as recommended too for £400:

That's £995

Or this package with AVR for £799. So £200 cheaper than the above combo. I'm assuming this would be good enough for my usage?

AVR do this package too:

For £999.

Lots of choices.

Another option which may be the smartest is to get an AVR like the Denon AVR-S660H for £400 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Bookshelf Speakers for £140 for £540 total now.

Then as I learn more about home cinema audio and save up more money I can then get a sub, then later on get another pair of speakers for the rear giving a 5.1 setup, but building it up slowly as I probably shouldn't spend £1000 on an audio setup off the bat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom