Looking to lower CPU temps

Soldato
Hey all. Yes it's another question about CPU temperatures.

I have a define r5 case with exhaust fan and one 140mm fan at the front.

Inside I have an Asus strix 1080ti oc that blasts out upto 69 degrees at max load.

I have a Corsair H60 with a push pull fan setup set into the top of the case that was applied to my 2600k with Grizzly paste in a cross pattern.

My CPU is set to 4.2ghz with 1.35 volts pushing through it via the oc genie feature on my OC z68 MOBO so could possibly go lower.

My temps reach 69 degrees on the CPU after a few hours gaming. Any suggestions guys as the fans can get a bit loud at this temp?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it the CPU or GPU that's 69c? Or is that overall case temperature?

What are they individually?
Is it the CPU fan or the gpu fan making the most noise?

Soldato
OP
Is it the CPU or GPU that's 69c? Or is that overall case temperature?

What are they individually?
Is it the CPU fan or the gpu fan making the most noise?
Both of them get to around 69c but the over all case temp is around 35c. The fan that I hear is the CPU one as the GPU fan is quiet as a mouse on the STRIX 1080ti.

Ive also edited my first post to be more specific.

Soldato
Yeh, you may be able to lower the voltage a little bit of your using a predefined overclocking setting, the presets can often be over generous with voltage.

Also the CPU fan profile might be a little enthusiastic, you may be able manually change the CPU fan settings to something a little less aggressive without incurring any meaningful rise in temps, for example if the fans set to go full tilt at too low a cpu temperature.

Associate
Hi
That case temp seems abit high, as mine never goes above 24c and that's with the heating on in the house. Gpu temp seems to be fine, as my gpu hits around that temp when under load. :) As for the cpu, it looks high to me :eek: my i7 2700k @ 4.4ghz hits around 44c under load gaming for hours with a 120 Deepcool AIO push/pull setup. Is your Corsair H60 seated on the cpu correct, and are the rad fines clear of dust?

Soldato
OP
Also the CPU fan profile might be a little enthusiastic, you may be able manually change the CPU fan settings to something a little less aggressive without incurring any meaningful rise in temps, for example if the fans set to go full tilt at too low a cpu temperature.

I have my fan curve set from 20% fan at 30c to 100% fan at 80c. This is with the MSI Control Centre which is a bit of a pain as it never remembers your settings so i have to set them on every reboot. I think im going to have a go with SpeenFan to resolve this issue.

Is your Corsair H60 seated on the cpu correct, and are the rad fines clear of dust?

I reseated the CPU last weekend when i got a new case the Fractal Design R5 silent. I cant remember the temps before but things seem a bit louder. I ensured that the thumb screws are 100% tight and that the rad was dust clear when i did this.

Yeh, you may be able to lower the voltage a little bit of your using a predefined overclocking setting, the presets can often be over generous with voltage.

Ill have to do this in the bios as again the control centre never remembers my settings :(.

My pump is also spinning at 3000rpm. Is this too low?

The ultimate aim here is to make the system a little quieter when gaming and currently when the fan is kicking out noise at 80% - 90% fan speed its a little annoying.

Thanks all for your advice, keep it coming :).

Soldato
I would look to manually do your overclock such that you can lower the vcore and thus lower the heat output. If you need some help I might be able to remember how to OC on MSI 1155 boards but it might be better asking the google overlords.

Soldato
OP
I would look to manually do your overclock such that you can lower the vcore and thus lower the heat output. If you need some help I might be able to remember how to OC on MSI 1155 boards but it might be better asking the google overlords.
I would appreciate that hugely. The advantage of OCing using Genie is that the RAM gets OCed as well so id need to do that manually which i have zero experience in.

I can manually OC GPUs and ive had some experience in the CPUs so it should be pretty easy.

The mother board i have is this - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z68AGD80_G3.html#hero-overview

Soldato
OP
So basically if i switch off the genie mode, set XMP, up the multiplier and voltage all will be good? Are there any other settings i need to worry about?

Soldato
Basically Yeh, you could just copy the current OC, 4.2 @1.35v if all is good, then start lowering the voltage incrementally until it crashes, then just bump it back up, rinse and repeat until you find the lowest stable voltage.

Or alternatively, before you start lowering the voltage, bump the multiplier up some more.

Soldato
OP
OK so I have been able to set up some nice fan curves on speedfan so that's quietened things down considerably which is good. The only issue I am facing now is that all my voltages and multipliers for my CPU are grayed out in the click bios settings..... Confused

Soldato
OP
By click bios, do you mean the terrible windows software?
Lol no mate. Its actually the BIOS that you can use your mouse in. Ive sorted it now as all you need to do is use the + or - to set the voltage. Currently stable on 4.2Ghz at 1.33. Prime 95 is currently running so we will see how it gets on. The good thing is that ive used Speedfan to keep the noise down and the lower voltage is also helping with temps. Ill never use Genie 2 again. Thanks all for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom