Lost Weather Balloon!

Soldato
Evening guys :)

£50 reward

We launched a weather balloon today with an electronic radio communications payload on board. Unfortunately we lost it somewhere around the Lincoln area.

It could be as far north as S****horpe (scun-thorpe - word filter!), as far south as Peterborough, or could be somewhere around Nottingham.

If any of you have PMR446 walkie-talkies (8 channels), could you please spare a couple of minutes and help us!

Tune it to channel 5.
Stand at an open window as high as possible.
Listen for modem-type noises. They will be about 2 seconds in length and once per minute.

Even if you don't hear anything please post back, so we know where it isn't.

Would be extremely grateful if a few people around there could do this!

Thanks a lot,
Jon

Last edited:
Associate
The last pressure reading was 500mb ish which gives 15000ft (5000m). Running a prediction gives a landing site of 10km from the last known location, using a fall rate of 5m/s (i think is right jon please confirm). On the map the arrow shows the last known location and where it is likely to land

Capture1.jpg

Matt

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

Yes Matt that prediction is correct.

I forgot to mention the £50 reward if you find it, you lot need an incentive!

I estimate we've only got a couple of days before the payload stops transmitting, so if people can just spare 5 minutes ASAP that'd be great :)

Soldato
OP
It's a free balloon - ie. non-tethered. We confirmed an altitude of 72,000ft, but we think it probably got to around 90,000ft.

I was always under the impression that weather balloons were expendable. Is this design different or am I wrong?

This one isn't - but you are correct, some designs are indeed expendable.

Jon

Associate
Is this a college project? Can you you share the schematics? Wouldn't mind having a go at this.

We do intend do to a full technical writeup in the end. In brief, the payload is controlled by a single board linux computer, which is attached to a GPS, radio modem and some custom microprocessor (PIC) based electronics which connects to sensors, a camera, and a few other things. The whole project could be just done with a PIC, although this does impose some limitations. (and yes a school project)

Matt

Soldato
Ohhh i drive along the a17 quite oftern (to the north west of the cirle) if i see it i will put it in the boot of my car, take it home and then let you know :)

Soldato
We do intend do to a full technical writeup in the end. In brief, the payload is controlled by a single board linux computer, which is attached to a GPS, radio modem and some custom microprocessor (PIC) based electronics which connects to sensors, a camera, and a few other things. The whole project could be just done with a PIC, although this does impose some limitations. (and yes a school project)

Matt

That sounds very advanced stuff for a school project. Was it simple to interface the different parts?

Soldato
You have mentioned it to the police? Some chap might already have found it and handed it in to lost property or whatever.

Though chances are these days it'll be mistaken for a terrorist bomb and the police will do a controlled explosion on it.

Associate
Ohhh i drive along the a17 quite oftern (to the north west of the cirle) if i see it i will put it in the boot of my car, take it home and then let you know :)

Thanks a lot! Much Appreciated

That sounds very advanced stuff for a school project. Was it simple to interface the different parts?

Everything is just RS232 really, (old but easy ;)) There are linux modules to interface with the GPS and the modem. To communicate with our PIC electronics we had to make a simple protocol for them to understand each other. To control the camera you just send different length pulses down the USB line (with custom firmware to control it).

For those who are interested here is the GPS track which we picked up, and displayed on google earth

path.JPG

The straight line is 90miles long and was covered in 38min (142mph :o) The GPS does not give out any readings >70,000ft ish, so we didnt know where it was during this point

Matt

Back
Top Bottom